A beret to remember

Started by Jacob, November 28, 2017, 08:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

A long time ago when I was a kid, when out running errands with our dad, we'd stop by the hospital where he works.  He kept in his locker this Ralph Lauren ad that consisted of a b/w photo of a man wearing a beret and his woman.  That was so cool.   8)  Ever since, I've wanted to get something.  Something distinctive to wear in a world of baseball caps.

I've been looking at this site -- https://southpacificberets.com/ -- since it is obviously focused and has a variety to choose from.

So far, I've narrowed things down to the following:
https://southpacificberets.com/b%C3%A9ret-rafale.php - Looks good for daily wear.
https://southpacificberets.com/basque-authentique.php - The stereotypical beret.
https://southpacificberets.com/spain.php - I have emailed the shop to find out what that old man is wearing.

Do any of you fellows own a beret?  How about the ladies?
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Fleur-de-Lys

I have a cream-colored woolen beret and a matching scarf that I wear with my red winter coat.

Jacob

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on November 28, 2017, 09:13:46 PM
I have a cream-colored woolen beret and a matching scarf that I wear with my red winter coat.

That sounds really pretty.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

red solo cup

Have you ever stopped in the middle of traffic and tossed it into the air?
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: red solo cup on November 29, 2017, 04:58:05 AM

I think that must be a reference to something, but I have no idea what.  :shrug:

Carleendiane

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on November 29, 2017, 08:01:46 AM
Quote from: red solo cup on November 29, 2017, 04:58:05 AM

I think that must be a reference to something, but I have no idea what.  :shrug:

Red may be referring to a movie. Red? Was that in a movie?
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Jacob

The Mary Tyler Moore Show?

[yt][/yt]

--Neal Stephenson

red solo cup

drummerboy

A beret?  You mean something like this? http://www.knightsgear.com/regalia

It looks like he just left an English boarding school for goodness sake...
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Jacob

Quote from: drummerboy on November 30, 2017, 08:26:54 PM

No, I'm definitely not interested in a US military style beret.  See my links above for what I'm looking at.  Something more traditional, old country.
--Neal Stephenson

Heinrich

I Think My Neighbor is a Green Beret.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Carleendiane

Quote from: Jacob on November 30, 2017, 08:31:25 PM
Quote from: drummerboy on November 30, 2017, 08:26:54 PM

No, I'm definitely not interested in a US military style beret.  See my links above for what I'm looking at.  Something more traditional, old country.

Now Jacob...you do know a beret requires a scarf to accompany it...just sayin   :)
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

red solo cup

Yes. And bongos. ** snaps fingers  **

Non Nobis

Quote from: red solo cup on November 29, 2017, 02:27:24 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 29, 2017, 08:55:48 AM

[yt][/yt]
Yes.

I thought of that too.  Well, I actually confused the MTM sitcom with "That Girl" which had a similar title sequence, but no beret.  Wow, am I dating myself. ;D
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Jacob

Quote from: Non Nobis on December 01, 2017, 08:38:19 PM
Quote from: red solo cup on November 29, 2017, 02:27:24 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 29, 2017, 08:55:48 AM

[yt][/yt]
Yes.

I thought of that too.  Well, I actually confused the MTM sitcom with "That Girl" which had a similar title sequence, but no beret.  Wow, am I dating myself. ;D

"Oh, Nob!"

In other news, I sent the shop owner an email and he replied with some excellent insight on hat size and how it all works with berets.  My reply is asking if he thinks the first one I linked to and the last one would be better considering I don't want a beret that would dwarf my small head.  Pictures will be uploaded when I eventually buy my beret!
--Neal Stephenson