Author Topic: Chat bots and chat windows  (Read 92 times)

Offline Greg

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
  • Religion: Kung Fu
Chat bots and chat windows
« on: October 18, 2017, 03:37:31 PM »
These are the latest hyped trend in on-line customer service but they are bloody awful in my opinion.

Small text window opens.

1 dimensional, slow, you never know how long the response is going to take so you cannot do much that is useful in the downtime.

Usually there is some moron at the other end or a computer with poor AI who cannot answer any question that common sense or a look at the FAQs wouldn't be able to tell you.

I absolutely detest them.

Offline Non Nobis

• By my staff!
  • Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: Chat bots and chat windows
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 04:05:11 PM »
These are the latest hyped trend in on-line customer service but they are bloody awful in my opinion.

Small text window opens.

1 dimensional, slow, you never know how long the response is going to take so you cannot do much that is useful in the downtime.

Usually there is some moron at the other end or a computer with poor AI who cannot answer any question that common sense or a look at the FAQs wouldn't be able to tell you.

I absolutely detest them.

I mostly work on my laptop not on a phone. So the windows I've seen are small but 2 dimensional.  Given that, I like being able to copy and paste information for later use.  And I can bring up other windows if I'm careful to watch the chat box.  In any case a lot of patience is required.
Children say that people are hung sometimes for speaking the truth.

If I am not in the state of grace, may God put me there; and if I am, may God so keep me

- Saint Joan of Arc

Offline Prayerful

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 05:23:58 PM »
Maybe the chatbots will overthrow human government, but they need to get a bit sharper.

Offline Greg

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
  • Religion: Kung Fu
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 06:03:40 PM »
by "1 dimensional" I mean that your frustration, urgency, pain, level of education cannot be perceived through the chat bot.  There's no metaphor in the conversation.  Nor can you tell whether you are speaking to a competent person or a rancid Pakistani dolt who knows as much about the company he represents as Harvey Weinstein knows about romance.

The following users thanked this post: Non Nobis