capital punishment and nfp

Started by AveCrux, October 16, 2017, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AveCrux

In a discussion of the teachings of our Holy Mother the Church on nfp and the death penalty the following came to mind.  Agreeing with the teaching of the Church and the practice Christian rulers for many centuries that the death penalty is just, what do you think if the Church chose out of prudence to prevent its use either for a certain time, certain place or for all times and places going forward due to practical problems (i.e. political use, tool of greed, revenge, etc) that prevent it being used in a consistently just way (consider a country with Mohammedans, Christians and others in which the rule swayed in each election between the Mohammedans and the Christians and the death penalty though supported as licit by all was used by the Mohammedans to punish converts when they were in power)?  There seem to be many places in the Holy Scriptures, the pronouncements of our Holy Mother the Church and the Lives of the Saints that approve the use of the death penalty with certain conditions met, and other places that ask for mercy for those justly condemned in other cases which seems to teach that though the death penalty is licit it is not strictly required.

The relation to periodic continence (i.e. nfp) was that someone in the discussion assumed it was a Dogma of the Church whose practice could never be limited by the Church but I believed that though its inherent moral liceity could not change if its use met the conditions laid out by the Catechism and Venerable Pope Pius XII, it's use could be restricted by the Church for prudential reasons (i.e. if there was widespread use of nfp without meeting the above conditions either due to misunderstanding or malice and prudence regarding the common good required nfp be disallowed).

Thanks be to God always
"The wise man is the one who can save his soul. - St. Nimatullah Al-Hardini

Archer

NFP and the death penalty, well that's a new wrinkle. :huh: I bet playing word associations with you gets crazy.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney