Landmark forum?? Anybody know about them

Started by diaduit, October 16, 2017, 01:16:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diaduit

My friends brother attended one of these €530 seminars . He had been through an awful experience,  his wife had a post pregnancy psychosis and was in a mental hospital for a year.
Now he is totally absorbed in getting his family into it and succeeded with his sister. My friend another sister has NO TIME for this, very practical and has good common sense but no faith. Anyway the other sister has kind of pressured all the family to an event at her house and she's going  (bull thick about it, but going all the same for the sake of family peace ).
Go ogling it there and it is very intense but they do make it all about personal responsibility and owning your mistakes plus making it right.
What's really weird is that you talk about your issues and then get lambasted by the leader who ridicules you to the point of humiliation.

As much as my friend is unbelievably pragmatic and stingy to boot which helps,I am a little worried for my friend .
Anybody got experience of this, I want to give her heads up before this family meeting.

Lynne

Sorry, I've never heard of it. I'll google a bit to see what I can find...
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Kaesekopf

Oh man, people pay money to get berated?...  I'm in the wrong field!

But, never heard of this thing.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Maximilian

Quote from: diaduit on October 16, 2017, 01:16:41 AM

What's really weird is that you talk about your issues and then get lambasted by the leader who ridicules you to the point of humiliation.

Sounds like a re-hash of EST from the eighties.

After further research, turns out that it IS in fact EST, transformed with a new name.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/04/06/the_true_story_of_est_the_pop_psychology_group_that_seduces_philip_in_this.html

"Later, the Forum morphed into the Landmark Forum, which continues to sell a program of empowerment-via-seminar."

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2016/04/lets-talk-about-that-group-philip-joins-in-this-season-of-the-americans.html

While the assistants sternly patrolled the ranks of seated "assholes" to make sure they were quiet and attentive and suitably fearful of their own turn on the line, Tony strutted back and forth shouting in his best voice that this was it — none of that "bullshit" they always used to get along in life could help them now, they were going to be seen as they really were."Wipe that smile off, " Tony snarled at one young man. "We don't think you're funny we think you're pathetic." To another: "Stop trying to look so cool. They can see right through that. And there's NOTHING behind it!"

ServusMariae

ouch ... I don't wanna attend that sort of seminar ever .. it's ruthlessly un-motivational! :(

Carleendiane

To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Gardener

Wait... so people pay good money to have a secular version of a stern Irish priest tell them the truth about themselves without an actual spiritual solution?

Odd.

---

Fun anecdote:

I know a FSSP priest who, very early in his priesthood had known the Parochial Vicar of a parish whose Pastor had been a classic Irish priest come to America. Gave the Bishop of the Diocese fits. There was in the parish this banker who thought he could throw money/social position around and get his way. The Irish Priest was having none of it. He would do things like, at the end of the year, read off a list of parishioners from the pulpit, their occupation, and how much money they'd donated over the year.

"James Smith, mechanic, $200

Molly Jacobs, washer woman, $100

Patrick McNamara, banker, $50 *dramatic eye roll*"

During a collection one Sunday, he see the banker put in a large gold coin. Goes and pulls it out of the basket and tosses it down the center aisle and says, "Take back your filthy lucre, McNamara, we'll have none of it here." Coin just stayed in the aisle for weeks cus everyone was afraid to touch it. lol.

One time the man was unhappy with the perceived way his daughter was being treated by a nun and asked she be moved to another nun's class. Fr. refused. Banker said he'd pull her out of the school and send her to public school if this didn't happen. Fr. replies, "Ya pull yer daughter out'n'I'll excommunicate'ya!" Banker pulls her out. Fr. scribbles on a piece of paper, "I, Fr. xxxxx, on this date, do hereby excommunicate Patrick McNamara from the Holy Catholic Church." A few hours later the Bishop calls him. "Fr., Patrick McNamara can go to hell for all I care, but you are not allowed or able to excommunicate people. If you have problems, please let me know before angering the parishioners." Banker calls Fr. and asked, "Did you talk with the Bishop?" Fr. replies, "Aye, and His Excellency was clear that for all he cares, y'can go to hell."

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Prayerful

Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Lynne

Quote from: Kaesekopf on October 16, 2017, 07:17:39 AM

You'd be very good at this...  :)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

PerEvangelicaDicta

Quote from: Lynne on October 16, 2017, 08:45:37 AM

oh no you di-int
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Lynne

He can handle it! (I hope)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mikemac

Well EST worked for Yoko Ono.  She actually talked herself into believing that she could sing.  :D

I like these humorous threads now and then.  Thanks Lynne and Gardener.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Kaesekopf

I will assume this is a compliment?!  ;).

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Carleendiane

Quote from: Kaesekopf on October 16, 2017, 12:44:47 PM

I will assume this is a compliment?!  ;).

Make NO assumptions, Kaese. Just have Lynne EXPLAIN herself. This could be taken so many ways, depending on who is reading it.   ;)
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Chestertonian

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"