Author Topic: Bibles on sale  (Read 135 times)

Offline ServusMariae

• Mary Garden
  • Vizekorporal
  • Religion: Catholic
Bibles on sale
« on: October 12, 2017, 09:15:56 AM »
..so, this evening when I got back home from running errands, I saw there was a sale of second-hand books held in the atrium of my neighbourhood shopping mall, & among the piles of yellowish books which spread across tables I spotted a dusty New Jerusalem Bible alongside a few other Bibles. Instantly I thought: "THAT'S SIMONY!!!"- albeit I had no idea whenever those bibles were blessed. Yet since every book was pre-loved ... I don't know. Is it bad for used bibles to be put on sale?

Side note: I have a (blessed) New Jerusalem Bible which I received during the start of my catechumenate in my RCIY days ... but I'm thinking to switch to a Douay-Rheims Bible instead. What can I do with that NJ bible since I can't sell it away?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 09:18:47 AM by ServusMariae »

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
Re: Bibles on sale
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 09:37:45 AM »
It's not simony to sell an object which is blessed, as the blessing simply goes away and the item would need to be re-blessed if the new owner desired the sacramental to be blessed.

I would recommend you keep your current NJ Bible for reference material.
"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Online Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 10:28:54 AM »
Not all Bibles are blessed. 

I think you're tending towards scrupulosity here.

I prefer to use the RSV-CE for devotional reading, but I've been getting back to the DR.  Why would you sell the NJ, though?
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Offline ServusMariae

• Mary Garden
  • Vizekorporal
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 10:37:24 AM »

Nah, it's just a small shock I got at seeing Bibles being thrown into the pile with regular books. It was an ultra-rare sight .. but other than that, I just went home. Didn't had time to take a closer look. haha

I prefer to use the RSV-CE for devotional reading, but I've been getting back to the DR.  Why would you sell the NJ, though?

I had no intentions to sell it for profit .. well ok, had the clear the clutter in my home.

Offline Gardener

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 10:38:53 AM »

Nah, it's just a small shock I got at seeing Bibles being thrown into the pile with regular books. It was an ultra-rare sight .. but other than that, I just went home. Didn't had time to take a closer look. haha

I had no intentions to sell it for profit .. well ok, had the clear the clutter in my home.

It is of no matter if a bible is sold.

It is of no matter if you sell your NJ translation.
"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Offline ServusMariae

• Mary Garden
  • Vizekorporal
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 10:41:26 AM »

Er... won't that be simony? it's blessed 5+ years back.

Offline Gardener

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 10:43:37 AM »

Er... won't that be simony? it's blessed 5+ years back.

No. You would be selling the Bible, not the Blessing. The Blessing goes kaput as soon as you sell it. You would advertise it simply as a Bible, not a "Blessed Bible".

Any individual Bible is not holy/blessed/capable of imparting grace of itself. It's a Sacramental (an important one!) but not a Sacrament. As such, it is not simony to sell it so long as you aren't attempting to sell it "as" a blessed object, since that ceases upon sale.

The following users thanked this post: ServusMariae

Offline ServusMariae

• Mary Garden
  • Vizekorporal
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 10:44:34 AM »
Anyways ... to what extent of help will it be to my spiritual learning if I were to keep 2 bibles at home? I'm kinda confused. *scratches head*

Offline Gardener

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 10:49:37 AM »
Scriptural cross reference. Study of the modernist understanding of scriptural passages. etc.

If you aren't into the more academic aspects of Scripture study, then that would be less of a concern.

Offline ServusMariae

• Mary Garden
  • Vizekorporal
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 10:49:50 AM »
No. You would be selling the Bible, not the Blessing. The Blessing goes kaput as soon as you sell it. You would advertise it simply as a Bible, not a "Blessed Bible".

Any individual Bible is not holy/blessed/capable of imparting grace of itself. It's a Sacramental (an important one!) but not a Sacrament. As such, it is not simony to sell it so long as you aren't attempting to sell it "as" a blessed object, since that ceases upon sale.

Ooooh okie ... it's time for me to make some quick cash then ^-^

Offline ServusMariae

• Mary Garden
  • Vizekorporal
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 10:50:57 AM »
Scriptural cross reference. Study of the modernist understanding of scriptural passages. etc.

If you aren't into the more academic aspects of Scripture study, then that would be less of a concern.

yeah sorry, multi-tasking isn't something I'm good at :(

Offline ServusMariae

• Mary Garden
  • Vizekorporal
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 10:53:49 AM »
(random rant: the New Jerusalem Bible doesn't say of Garbiel's greeting to Our Lady as "Hail, full of grace" but rather "Greetings, highly favoured one!". Ack.)

Offline Gardener

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 11:31:58 AM »
(random rant: the New Jerusalem Bible doesn't say of Garbiel's greeting to Our Lady as "Hail, full of grace" but rather "Greetings, highly favoured one!". Ack.)

:D

The following users thanked this post: ServusMariae

Offline mikemac

• Hauptmann
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 11:56:04 AM »

Compare Genesis 3:15.  The Miraculous Medal and thousands if not millions of icons and statues depict Genesis 3:15 as read in the Douay-Rheims Bible.  Some examples ...

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/3c/9b/18/3c9b182a2a9d0a1b9f49ac9919b23efb--blessed-virgin-mary-prayer-cards.jpg

http://catholicbiblestudent.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/VirginMarySnake-e1362001251315.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kEFTmMk3e5c/TJVyoxEpeMI/AAAAAAAACV4/UE7bpJAgM0g/s1600/Blessed_Virgin_Mary_Crushing_Devil.jpg

http://www.kenblueministries.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/mary-standing-on-a-snake.jpg 
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima’s prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

TradCath Forum  A friendly Traditional Catholic forum with excellent administration and moderation.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, ServusMariae

Offline Prayerful

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 01:59:51 PM »

Martin Luther in his defence of his translation, his Open Letter considered a form of the latter a better rendering in German, but stuck to something traditional greeting, even if he would have found it amusing to follow spoken speech in his translation. It is perhaps not surprising that the scholars who prepared that V2 text decided to surpass their prophet Luther, no but in reality it wasn't surprising it turned out fairly Lutheran, despite including a full Bible.