Author Topic: Codeacademy on Facebook is unreal  (Read 205 times)

Offline Lynne

• happy to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • We're all special snowflakes
  • Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
Codeacademy on Facebook is unreal
« on: October 10, 2017, 05:05:40 PM »
They're always whining about the lack of women in programming... Did you know, according to them, that women dominated the programming field until it became cool, when nasty men pushed the women out.

Various links to prove their points....

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-08-19/how-women-got-crowded-out-of-the-computing-revolution

https://iq.intel.com/how-female-eniac-programmers-pioneered-the-software-industry/

I've been working in computers since 1977. I have a female friend who is 10 years older than me and she was a rare female programmer in the field.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 05:21:57 PM by Lynne »
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

Offline Mac_Benny

• Vizekorporal
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Codeacademy on Facebook is unreal
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 12:27:42 AM »
At the basic level it is the same old tactics. Expand the labor pool, suppress wages and salaries. Add on to that, Codeacademy and other such organizations are pushing for everyone to learn "coding". That just further increases the number of people trying for software development positions. Learning coding and learning how to apply that to non-IT or software development positions is great, but no one is teaching it this way. An example, financial analysts are increasingly required to know SQL for data mining and enough Python to do scripting. Is this taught in majority of B-Schools? Nope.

Offline Lynne

• happy to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 01:52:56 PM »
I lodged a complain on the Codeacademy website the other day. I don't know if the person who respnded was goofing on me. If not, God help us...

Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out and for sharing your experience. Though I identify as female, I cannot speak for every person identifying as female at Codecademy, but it is a pleasure it hear your thoughts.

Here at Codecademy's headquarters we are approaching equal male/female representation, but unfortunately our learners are still overwhelmingly male. Our Facebook posts are an attempt to bridge this interest gap and encourage women to give Codecademy and coding a try.

The purpose of the articles is never to victimize women, and I want to extend my sincerest apologies if that is how it comes across. We want to celebrate women and educate all people about their contributions to technology.

I've passed your message along to our marketing team, and I know how much they appreciate worthwhile feedback.

Thank you again. Hope you have a lovely rest of the week!
Allyn
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 02:04:25 PM »
What the heck kind of "identifying as female" name is Allyn?
"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Offline Lynne

• happy to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 02:26:01 PM »
What the heck kind of "identifying as female" name is Allyn?

Yeah, that jumped out at me too but it's leading me to a place where I don't want to go...

:rofl:

Offline ServusMariae

• Mary Garden
  • Korporal
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 11:48:01 PM »
Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out and for sharing your experience. Though I identify as female, I cannot speak for every person identifying as female at Codecademy.

This better not be some "transgender" lady behind the screen??! :O

Offline MilesChristi

• Knight Errant
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Santiago Matamoros, Ora pro Nobis
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 08:47:37 AM »
If they want equal representation in their company, half of them should just identify as women.
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Offline Lynne

• happy to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 09:37:28 AM »
If they want equal representation in their company, half of them should just identify as women.

I think that's what "Allyn" did...  :huh:

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 09:50:55 AM »

That would be a cheeky good troll on the libs... "whadda ya mean we have an underrepresentation of women? We're approximately 51% female employees. Yes, they look like men, but that's just your bigotry showing through..."
"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe