The LongStrangetrip5 long, strange, what a trip thread

Started by Gardener, August 24, 2018, 11:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardener

Please, just post your ramblings here instead of mucking up the forum with 10 new threads a day about the price of tea in China.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Matto

Why was it that his long hair gave Samson so much strength? Why Samson and not other men? You know that in the times of King Solomon the generals got together and wondered what would happen if their soldiers grew their hair long like Samson. Would it give them the same great strength? So they raised their soldiers from birth and never put a razor to their heads in the hopes that their long hair would give them superhuman strength like Samson and that their armies would be the most powerful fighting force in the world. But they were disappointed as the soldiers turned out to be no stronger than any other soldiers even with their long hair. That gift was for Samson alone.
I Love Watching Butterflies . . ..

Archer

Quote from: Gardener on August 24, 2018, 11:26:16 AM
Please, just post your ramblings here instead of mucking up the forum with 10 new threads a day about the price of tea in China.

If only he confined his musings to tea in China; they might actually make sense then.

Write intelligent posts? What a novel idea...
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

LausTibiChriste

Hey Jayne I dare ya to tell Gardener off for this one.

Go ahead.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Kaesekopf

LST5 is banned indefinitely due to repeated postings and ramblings. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Jayne

Quote from: Gardener on August 24, 2018, 11:26:16 AM

This might have been an effective and helpful gesture if you had not included an insulting comment. Next time,  choose one or the other instead of trying to do both.

Note how Kaesekopf chose a neutral way to phrase his earlier suggestion to LST5 to consolidate her political musings to single thread.  He should have green-texted this to make it into an official order and then enforced it.  Unfortunately, his (much needed) retreat/vacation interfered with taking the appropriate action in this case.

This forum was founded with the idea that it would have a team of moderators. One of the advantages of this structure is there is always somebody who can be left in charge while other team members have too many demands on their time or are absent.  When there is a lack in the official moderation, it is not unusual for posters to try to compensate.  Unfortunately this leads to "mini-modding" which brings its own problems.  (Arguably, this is what Gardener did here.)

I would like to see the restoration of a moderation team to this forum. At minimum, I would like see a roster of back-up moderators for KK to draw on when he is busy/absent.  This is not a one person job.

If KK follows up on either of these suggestions, I think that making Gardener a moderator would be a suitable punishment for him for starting this thread.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Gardener

That's pretty rich coming from someone who is fairly consistent in pseudo-moderator behavior.

I'm blunt. If people want sugar coating, they need to go to the Wonka Factory.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Jayne

Quote from: Gardener on August 25, 2018, 08:35:00 AM
That's pretty rich coming from someone who is fairly consistent in pseudo-moderator behavior.

I am very aware of my own tendency to mini-modding and the problems associated with it. I have made a conscious effort to control the tendency in myself (with debatable success.)  You know enough about logic to realize that a tu quoque repsonse does not show that I am wrong.

It is possible to state one's position clearly and firmly without using emotionally loaded terms that are likely to antagonize one's readers.  Doing this is not "sugar coating."  It is a principle of effective communication.  What is the point of making a good suggestion while phrasing it in a way that makes one's reader disinclined to accept it?

Jayne

clau clau

Quote from: Gardener on August 25, 2018, 08:35:00 AM

Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Gardener

Jayne

Gardener

Quote from: Jayne on August 25, 2018, 10:00:31 AM
I have a serious problem with resisting dares.

I dare you to be more Albertan and less Ontarian.

LausTibiChriste

Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Daniel

I am posting here because I'm not sure where else to post this (I was thinking in the Sacred Sciences forum, but it might not be worthy of a new thread... and since LongStrangetrip5 is gone, I figure there's nothing wrong in hijacking this thread):

I am wondering, what is a "heart"? Like, when people speak of the "heart", what part of the soul are they referring to? Is the "heart" the same thing as the "will"? Or is the "heart" Plato's "spirit" / Aristotle's "irascible appetite"?