Is there a teaching or theological consensus on "vital/subtle/etheric energy"?

Started by Graham, May 21, 2017, 06:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham

The question is basically all in the title. Can things and places contain so-called subtle (vital, etheric) energies which defy direct detection by scientific instruments, yet are not angelic (personal) in origin? What does theology have to say about this?

LouisIX

The Easterns likely have a bit more to say about this. It's hard to imagine how this might fit under a Thomistic metaphysical framework.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Non Nobis

Quote from: Graham on May 21, 2017, 06:01:32 PM
The question is basically all in the title. Can things and places contain so-called subtle (vital, etheric) energies which defy direct detection by scientific instruments, yet are not angelic (personal) in origin? What does theology have to say about this?

I am sure this isn't what you are talking about, but it seems to me just as marvelous how the beauty of things and places affect our senses, emotions, and intellect. Experiencing beauty is certainly something that can not be detected by scientific instruments. And the beauty is not just in our experience, but put by God into the things themselves (although it is hard to define).  This is even better than "subtle, etheric energies".

Even objects detected by senses other than vision or hearing (and so not usually called "beautiful") affect us in ways that science would not have a handled on.  A cold shower affects our energy and our mood (for better or for worse... :)); chocolate is "delicious" - science know nothing of what it is to experience these things.

[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Daniel

Are you talking about all that New Age garbage? Or do you mean undetectable energy in a more general sense, without all the superstitious implications?

I have also heard that some people claim that ghost sightings are "residual energy imprints." Sounds like pseudoscience to me, but regardless, clearly it would be wrong to hold the opinion that all ghost sightings are merely residual energy imprints, seeing as that would pretty much be a form of naturalism (a denial of the existence of ghosts and demons).

Daniel

Would the hypothetical "luminiferous ether" fall under this category? Pretty sure that the ether is matter rather than energy, but science so far has had a hard time detecting it, if it even exists.

edit - Also, there's the hypothetical dark matter and dark energy which have never been detected.

As far as I know, these things in themselves are not incompatible with good theology, though they are problematic when used as "proof" that scripture or tradition are wrong.
(New Age mysticism, on the other hand, is always incompatible with good theology, by the very fact that it falls directly within the realm of faith and is inherently non-Catholic. And it's bad science anyway.)