What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mono no aware

Heinrich

Quote from: Pon de Replay on May 18, 2022, 10:42:15 AM

Indispensable if one wants to understand the bourgeoisification of modern Russia.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Mono no aware

Quote from: Heinrich on May 18, 2022, 10:44:09 AMIndispensable if one wants to understand the bourgeoisification of modern Russia.

I suspect it will prove as much.  I have borrowed this one from the library, but recently I was re-reading some selections from my own copy of The Collected Tales of Nikolai Gogol.  What has happened with Ukranian identity that a century and a half ago, a great writer like Gogol could consider himself ethnically Ukranian but spiritually Russian, whereas now it would be considered traitorous to do so?

red solo cup

I was forced to read The Cherry Orchard when in college. I still bear the scars.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

clau clau

200 Years Together - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Managed to find a PDF of it in English and put it on my Kindle.  It's a long read, but very interesting. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Hundred_Years_Together
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

BlueInGreen

Where the Crawdad Sings by Delia Owens.
The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien

After those two it'll be listening to the audiobook of Hell House by Richard Matheson and then reading Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring.
Cradle Catholic traversing modernism while rediscovering my heritage - in faith and ethnically.

red solo cup

Confessions of a Wall Street Analyst: A True Story of Inside Information and Corruption in the Stock Market by Dan Reingold.

Mono no aware

Justin Martyr

The Dogma of Hell by Fr. Schouppe S.J.
The least departure from Tradition leads to a scorning of every dogma of the Faith.
St. Photios the Great, Encyclical to the Eastern Patriarchs

CANON I: As for all persons who dare to violate the definition of the holy and great Synod convened in Nicaea in the presence of Eusebeia, the consort of the most God-beloved Emperor Constantine, concerning the holy festival of the soterial Pascha, we decree that they be excluded from Communion and be outcasts from the Church if they persist more captiously in objecting to the decisions that have been made as most fitting in regard thereto; and let these things be said with reference to laymen. But if any of the person occupying prominent positions in the Church, such as a Bishop, or a Presbyter, or a Deacon, after the adoption of this definition, should dare to insist upon having his own way, to the perversion of the laity, and to the disturbance of the church, and upon celebrating Pascha along with the Jews, the holy Synod has hence judged that person to be an alien to the Church, on the ground that he has not only become guilty of sin by himself, but has also been the cause of corruption and perversion among the multitude. Accordingly, it not only deposes such persons from the liturgy, but also those who dare to commune with them after their deposition. Moreover, those who have been deposed are to be deprived of the external honor too of which the holy Canon and God's priesthood have partaken.
The Council of Antioch 341, recieved by the Council of Chalcedon

Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

Prayerful

Eve Morrison, Kilmichael: the Life and Afterlife of an Ambush.

The biographer of Tom Barry, Meda Ryan, who refused to talk to Eve Morrison, actually gave me a copy of her biography of Tom Barry, who was one of the IRA commanders. I was then in hospital with various injuries. The book is as much a history of the controversy, as Liam Deasy, who was a commander of Barry, disagreed with his recall of the ambush.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

red solo cup

Little Sister. A Memoir by Patricia Walsh Chadwick. Growing up in Leonard Feeney's St Benedict Center.

TulitAutemAgnum

I just read Dune by Frank Herbert and I thought it was horrendous but I couldn't put it down, I'm glad its over.

Elizabeth

Padraig

Quote from: Pon de Replay on May 18, 2022, 11:05:47 AM
Quote from: Heinrich on May 18, 2022, 10:44:09 AMIndispensable if one wants to understand the bourgeoisification of modern Russia.

I suspect it will prove as much.  I have borrowed this one from the library, but recently I was re-reading some selections from my own copy of The Collected Tales of Nikolai Gogol.  What has happened with Ukranian identity that a century and a half ago, a great writer like Gogol could consider himself ethnically Ukranian but spiritually Russian, whereas now it would be considered traitorous to do so?

Heinrich and Pon, have either of you read any of Eugene Vodolazkin? I read Laurus last year, and it was one of the most remarkable books I've ever read. I was just given two of his latest novels: The Aviator and Brisbane. I'm looking forward to both.

Heinrich

Quote from: Padraig on June 13, 2022, 02:24:07 PM
Quote from: Pon de Replay on May 18, 2022, 11:05:47 AM

Heinrich and Pon, have either of you read any of Eugene Vodolazkin? I read Laurus last year, and it was one of the most remarkable books I've ever read. I was just given two of his latest novels: The Aviator and Brisbane. I'm looking forward to both.

Never heard of him. I am barely getting through E Micheal Jones' Jewish RS and Don Quijote(en Castellano moderno). However, this is noted. Thanks, Dr.!
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.