What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

Quote from: Lynne on April 28, 2017, 12:32:34 PM
Quote from: Bernadette on April 28, 2017, 11:55:18 AM
Learning to Go to School in Japan: The Transition from Home to Preschool Life, by Lois Peak. Fascinating insight into cultural expectations governing life as a group in Japan, and how these are taught primarily in school, rather than at home. Gives me a lot of insight into my grandma's life.

When was that written?
1991, but the cultural principles aren't that recent.  :lol: This book is just explaining them to the Western mind.
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

Quote from: Bernadette on April 28, 2017, 02:25:22 PM
Quote from: Lynne on April 28, 2017, 12:32:34 PM
Quote from: Bernadette on April 28, 2017, 11:55:18 AM
Learning to Go to School in Japan: The Transition from Home to Preschool Life, by Lois Peak. Fascinating insight into cultural expectations governing life as a group in Japan, and how these are taught primarily in school, rather than at home. Gives me a lot of insight into my grandma's life.

When was that written?
1991, but the cultural principles aren't that recent.  :lol: This book is just explaining them to the Western mind.

Ah...  :lol:
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Hat And Beard

red solo cup

Treason: Liberal Treachery From the Cold War to the War on Terrorism by Ann Coulter. Some eye-opening stuff about Joe McCarthy.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Michael Wilson

Sacrae Theologiae Summa IB: On the Church of Christ • On Holy Scripture By Rev. Joachim Salaverri S.J. and Rev. Michaele Nicolau S.J.  The second volume of an eight volume set on Catholic Theology. Excellent. For any Catholic who wants to deepen the knowledge of their faith. Like Ott on steroids.
https://www.amazon.com/Sacrae-Theologiae-Summa-IB-Scripture/dp/0991226879/ref=pd_sim_14_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0991226879&pd_rd_r=ZZBM02EE2CFKEA6GKWER&pd_rd_w=mSlWQ&pd_rd_wg=RFu3p&psc=1&refRID=ZZBM02EE2CFKEA6GKWER
here is the publisher's review:
QuoteThis English translation from the original Latin, On the Church of Christ • On Holy Scripture, is meant for seminarians and theology students who want to learn scholastic and Thomistic theology. This book is the second half of Volume I of the four volume series under the title of Sacrae Theologiae Summa, which was published in Latin in 1956 by the Bishops' Conference of Spain. The Spanish publisher is called B.A.C. The four volumes contain the treatises that cover all the basic dogmas of the Catholic faith and it does it in a detailed and scholarly way, with a heavy reliance on the teaching of St. Thomas Aquinas. One advantage of this Summa is that it gives the student the "theological note," that is, the grade of certitude for each thesis. Here you will learn what is a defined dogma of the Church, what is theologically certain, and what is just a theological opinion. The original publisher has given permission to publish the individual treatises as separate books, instead of the four large volumes of about 1,000 pages each. The project will take a few years and, when finished, should add up to eight volumes covering all the traditional courses of dogmatic theology: Revelation, Church, Scripture, The One and Triune God, Creation, Sin, Christology, Mariology, Grace, Virtues, The Seven Sacraments, The Last Things[note, the translation is finished and all 8 vol. Are availabl]. The text has not been altered from the original, with the exception of the references to Denzinger (D). The best available version is the 43rd Edition edited by Peter Hünermann and published by Ignatius Press. It is the translator's hope that this volume and those that follow will help theology students, whether seminarians or graduate students, to learn the great Catholic tradition of dogmatic theology which is based on the Holy Scriptures, the writings of the Fathers of the Church, the ecclesiastical Magisterium, and the works of St. Thomas Aquinas.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Lynne

Quote from: Michael Wilson on May 08, 2017, 01:33:36 PM
Sacrae Theologiae Summa IB: On the Church of Christ • On Holy Scripture By Rev. Joachim Salaverri S.J. and Rev. Michaele Nicolau S.J.  The second volume of an eight volume set on Catholic Theology. Excellent. For any Catholic who wants to deepen the knowledge of their faith.
Like Ott on steroids.

Wow.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

LouisIX

Quote from: Michael Wilson on May 08, 2017, 01:33:36 PM
Sacrae Theologiae Summa IB: On the Church of Christ • On Holy Scripture By Rev. Joachim Salaverri S.J. and Rev. Michaele Nicolau S.J.  The second volume of an eight volume set on Catholic Theology. Excellent. For any Catholic who wants to deepen the knowledge of their faith. Like Ott on steroids.
https://www.amazon.com/Sacrae-Theologiae-Summa-IB-Scripture/dp/0991226879/ref=pd_sim_14_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0991226879&pd_rd_r=ZZBM02EE2CFKEA6GKWER&pd_rd_w=mSlWQ&pd_rd_wg=RFu3p&psc=1&refRID=ZZBM02EE2CFKEA6GKWER
here is the publisher's review:
QuoteThis English translation from the original Latin, On the Church of Christ • On Holy Scripture, is meant for seminarians and theology students who want to learn scholastic and Thomistic theology. This book is the second half of Volume I of the four volume series under the title of Sacrae Theologiae Summa, which was published in Latin in 1956 by the Bishops' Conference of Spain. The Spanish publisher is called B.A.C. The four volumes contain the treatises that cover all the basic dogmas of the Catholic faith and it does it in a detailed and scholarly way, with a heavy reliance on the teaching of St. Thomas Aquinas. One advantage of this Summa is that it gives the student the "theological note," that is, the grade of certitude for each thesis. Here you will learn what is a defined dogma of the Church, what is theologically certain, and what is just a theological opinion. The original publisher has given permission to publish the individual treatises as separate books, instead of the four large volumes of about 1,000 pages each. The project will take a few years and, when finished, should add up to eight volumes covering all the traditional courses of dogmatic theology: Revelation, Church, Scripture, The One and Triune God, Creation, Sin, Christology, Mariology, Grace, Virtues, The Seven Sacraments, The Last Things[note, the translation is finished and all 8 vol. Are availabl]. The text has not been altered from the original, with the exception of the references to Denzinger (D). The best available version is the 43rd Edition edited by Peter Hünermann and published by Ignatius Press. It is the translator's hope that this volume and those that follow will help theology students, whether seminarians or graduate students, to learn the great Catholic tradition of dogmatic theology which is based on the Holy Scriptures, the writings of the Fathers of the Church, the ecclesiastical Magisterium, and the works of St. Thomas Aquinas.

Author: SJ
Author: SJ
Translator: SJ

:crazy:

;)
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Bernadette

Heidi and On the Banks of Plum Creek. It's like comfort food for the mind. :/
My Lord and my God.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Gardener on May 08, 2017, 05:18:07 PM
Fr. Baker is solid...

I think Louis is teasing because it's a theology text that "is meant for seminarians and theology students who want to learn scholastic and Thomistic theology", but it's all being done by Jesuits, with no collaboration or work by Dominicans.  :lol:

(Not that I blame his teasing...)

:lol:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Bernadette on May 13, 2017, 04:26:08 PM
Heidi and On the Banks of Plum Creek. It's like comfort food for the mind. :/

My grandparents lived about an hour or so from where Laura lived on Plum Creek (or Walnut Grove).  Lovely area and a favorite book. 
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Gardener

Quote from: Kaesekopf on May 13, 2017, 05:28:55 PM
Fr. Baker is solid...

I think Louis is teasing because it's a theology text that "is meant for seminarians and theology students who want to learn scholastic and Thomistic theology", but it's all being done by Jesuits, with no collaboration or work by Dominicans.  :lol:

The only thing being done is translation. The text is from 1956 and Fr. Baker is translating it.

Dominicans cannot even update their own house of studies site with more English translations of St. Thomas' works. Why on earth would they get to translating an entire massive volume.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Michael Wilson

Re. The Jesuits and Thomism; I read this book by Louis Jugnet entitled: "La Pensee de St. Thomas d'Aquin" its purpose is to introduce laymen to the thinking of St. Thomas Aquinas; he gives a short history of the history of Thomism with its gradual decline and almost total eclipse in the 18th C. By Cartesian philosophy:(My translation)
That we owe the survival of Thomism not only to the in  Jesuits in general,  but to the Spanish Jesuits in particular: 
Pg. 226:
QuoteBy the XVIII C. Scholasticism, whether thomistic or other appeared to be dead. Apart from a few cloisters and universities, especially in the Southern countries (Spain and Italy), it had practically ceased to exist. Even the Ecclesiastical meliux had been penetrated by modern philosophies, especially the Cartesian. Perhaps, however, it is this perseverance in the state of misunderstood and almost exhausted trickle of water, on the part of some Italians and Spaniards, that we owe (in terms of immedite causes, or rather Material conditions), the modern Renaissance of Thomism.
Nineteenth century: Two stages: A) Before the encyclical Aeterni Patris, that is to say -1800-1879: While Cartesianism, ontologism (a system analogous to that of Malenbranche in some respects) impregnated the Catholic minds; some Spanish Jesuits, expelled from their home,  Had found refuge in Italy, notably at Naples. Formed in scholasticism, and even perhaps Thomists of strict observance (despite some suarezian influences), they taught a handful of Italian priests that were unhappy with the philosophy that they were taught, and made them rediscover Thomism. Once gained, these new disciples spread the doctrine, despite a very violent opposition. Among the valorous were Vincenzo Buzzetti (1777-1824) and Domenico Sordi. Then the Jesuites Liberatore (1810-1872), Taparelli d'Azeglio ((1793-1862), Cornoldi (1892) and the Dominican Zigliara (1833-1893) with his brother Sanseverino (1811-1865), who produced on the one hand, neo-scholastic societies, on the other hand, vigorous polemical works of actuality; and in Spain Cardinal Gonzalez, in Germany the Jesuit Kleuten, in France a laic, Count A. de Margerie and Others...
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

PerEvangelicaDicta

This thread is very valuable for 1) adding to one's library  2) gift ideas

In addition to daily Catholic references, I also often review Living a Beautiful Life - Alexandra Stoddard, and Drinking with the Saints - Michael P. Foley.  :cheeseheadbeer:
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

LouisIX

Quote from: Gardener on May 14, 2017, 06:47:34 AM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on May 13, 2017, 05:28:55 PM
Fr. Baker is solid...

The only thing being done is translation. The text is from 1956 and Fr. Baker is translating it.

Dominicans cannot even update their own house of studies site with more English translations of St. Thomas' works. Why on earth would they get to translating an entire massive volume.

This presupposes that the pre-conciliar Jesuits were worth listening to.

;)
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.