What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clare

Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Christina_S

For the record, By Love Refined is quite possibly the best book on marriage that I've ever read.

Starting on Catherine of Siena by Sigrid Undset and Salvifici Doloris by Pope St. John Paul II.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Bonaventure

Among the Thugs, Bill Bufford

I am picturing young Clau Clau and Greg, and their soon dashed optimism about JPII in the 80s.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

red solo cup

Quote from: Bonaventure on April 10, 2017, 04:54:36 PM
Among the Thugs, Bill Bufford

I am picturing young Clau Clau and Greg, and their soon dashed optimism about JPII in the 80s.
I read this a few years ago. It's about soccer hooligans right?
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Hat And Beard

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco(decided I need to take a break from school work)

Prayerful

Quote from: Hat And Beard on April 12, 2017, 05:44:36 PM
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco(decided I need to take a break from school work)

Much better than the film. Close to twenty years since I read it, might bear re-reading it

Antigonus The One Eyed: The Greatest of the Successors. The Hellenistic world created by Alexander III and the Successors made the spread of the Faith so much easier, although this book purely concentrates on a harsh general and king who might lose battles or engagements (I don't think the wikipedia article is remotely correct to say he never lost a battle. He did, but he recovered his losses with interest).

edit: missing bracket.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Hat And Beard

Quote from: Prayerful on April 13, 2017, 10:52:51 AM
Quote from: Hat And Beard on April 12, 2017, 05:44:36 PM

Much better than the film. Close to twenty years since I read it, might bear re-reading it

I saw the film years ago, and again recently, and it's amazing just how much was left out of the film. I'm not sure that enough time has passed since the movie, but it seems to be fertile ground for a Netflix or HBO series with all the Sherlock Holmes adaptations that have killed at the box office/in streaming land.

Jacob

Quote from: Hat And Beard on April 13, 2017, 11:13:29 AM
I saw the film years ago, and again recently, and it's amazing just how much was left out of the film. I'm not sure that enough time has passed since the movie, but it seems to be fertile ground for a Netflix or HBO series with all the Sherlock Holmes adaptations that have killed at the box office/in streaming land.

I totally agree.  NotR would make an excellent miniseries.

Today I finished my Calvin and Hobbes books from Christmas.  I've been thinking about Don Quixote for this summer, but maybe I should go with NotR.  It's been awhile.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Bernadette

Quote from: Jacob on April 13, 2017, 06:14:27 PM
Quote from: Hat And Beard on April 13, 2017, 11:13:29 AM

I totally agree.  NotR would make an excellent miniseries.

Today I finished my Calvin and Hobbes books from Christmas.  I've been thinking about Don Quixote for this summer, but maybe I should go with NotR.  It's been awhile.
I loved the Edith Grossman translation, from Audible.  :thumbsup:
My Lord and my God.

Jacob

Quote from: Bernadette on April 13, 2017, 06:32:31 PM
I loved the Edith Grossman translation, from Audible.  :thumbsup:

If you ever feel like a second time through, I recommend the Tom Lathrop translation from Signet.  I don't know if it's made it to audio.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

red solo cup

Scotland Forever!: The Scots Greys at Waterloo by Ian Gale.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bernadette

Tonight, I feast on E. Nesbit's Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare, hopefully while eating some fudge that I made earlier. Willy Wonka, here's to you, bud.  :beer:

Edit: I chose The Taming of the Shrew to listen to first. Loved it, too. :) Kate's father really did her a disservice, I think, but it all worked out in the end. :)
My Lord and my God.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Bernadette on April 17, 2017, 02:10:44 PM
Tonight, I feast on E. Nesbit's Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare, hopefully while eating some fudge that I made earlier. Willy Wonka, here's to you, bud.  :beer:

Edit: I chose The Taming of the Shrew to listen to first. Loved it, too. :) Kate's father really did her a disservice, I think, but it all worked out in the end. :)

Working my way through the treasure seekers. :)
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

angelcookie

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

Movie to follow