What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Daniel on February 13, 2017, 04:55:50 PM
I just started reading The Lord of the Rings. Question: I have never read any Tolkien before. Would vos advise me to stop reading The Lord of the Rings until after I've read The Hobbit? Not sure why I chose to read it out of order, but I'm not that far into it yet, so it's not too late for me to turn back...

I'm also reading A Map of Life (my former spiritual director told me to read it a while back). I started it months ago but kind of stopped halfway through, but started reading it again a few days ago. It's a good book. (Something between catechesis and spiritual reading.)

I'm about half way through Return of the King for the umpteenth time.    I read the Hobbit after LOTR, but I tend to do things kinda backward anyway.  :)
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Akavit

It doesn't really matter whether The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings is read first.  Both are worthwhile as stand-alone stories and don't require knowledge of the other.  Now I definitely do not recommend any attempt to read The Simarillion until after finishing the others.  Even then, it's only worth reading if you really, really want to fill in some of the plot holes in the Lord of the Rings.  That book is terribly dull.

martin88nyc

"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Clare

The Brothers Karamazov, Dostoyevsky
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Clare

Quote from: Lynne on February 14, 2017, 11:35:15 AM
Quote from: Bernadette on February 14, 2017, 09:16:17 AM
Quote from: Clare on February 14, 2017, 09:05:32 AM
The Brothers Karamazov, Dostoyevsky
First time, or rereading?
It's Clare.  8) I bet she's re-reading it.
No, this is the first time! I'm not that well-read!
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

red solo cup

Culloden: Scotland's Last Battle and the Forging of the British Empire by Trevor Royle.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

martin88nyc

Going through "Christian Origins" Vol. I and Vol. II by Patrick Madgett. found these two on the sidewalk by a parochial school. They still get rid of all things pre-concilliar.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Bernadette

Bleak House. I just love John Jarndyce: so self-effacing and gentle-hearted.:) I can never get enough of Dickens' portrayal of virtue. He does it so well.
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

When the King Was Carpenter by Maria Von Trapp.

It's wonderful in that it has a lot of detail about how Jews lived during the Old Covenant while Jesus was growing up.

It does make me wonder, though, as to when Jesus understood His mission here. It doesn't paint Him as totally unknowing of His mission and who He was but...

It's a very enjoyable read, though if you want to picture the day-to-day life of the Holy Family.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Bernadette

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on February 28, 2017, 12:37:32 PM
Brideshead Revisited

I love that book. And the miniseries. I actually have the audiobook, narrated by Jeremy Irons. Time to...(I can't help myself!) revisit it, since I think I'll be able to look at it with fresh eyes and get new insights.  ;D I also have a replica "Aloysius" (since I love bears). He's a charmer.  :)
My Lord and my God.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Bernadette on February 28, 2017, 01:16:27 PM
Quote from: maryslittlegarden on February 28, 2017, 12:37:32 PM
Brideshead Revisited

I love that book. And the miniseries. I actually have the audiobook, narrated by Jeremy Irons. Time to...(I can't help myself!) revisit it, since I think I'll be able to look at it with fresh eyes and get new insights.  ;D I also have a replica "Aloysius" (since I love bears). He's a charmer.  :)

Yeah.  I haven't read it since I became Catholic, so it's interesting to pick up on all the catholic stuff now. Love the mini series, may have to get that from the library

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.