What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prayerful

Charles D Stanton, Medieval Maritime Warfare.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

red solo cup

The Mosque of Notre Dame by Elena Chudinova. This is the book that has been advertised on The Remnant. I was disappointed. It was choppy and uneven. How much was due to it's being translated, I don't know, but it made it hard to read. The idea of French Catholics rebelling against their muslim overlords was intriguing but I disagreed with their solution.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Prayerful

Quote from: red solo cup on December 04, 2016, 03:56:21 AM
The Mosque of Notre Dame by Elena Chudinova. This is the book that has been advertised on The Remnant. I was disappointed. It was choppy and uneven. How much was due to it's being translated, I don't know, but it made it hard to read. The idea of French Catholics rebelling against their muslim overlords was intriguing but I disagreed with their solution.

That's a disappointment. I might check reviews. It sounds like something which will get reviews based on whether the reviewers agree with the author, rather than agreeing whether it is good or bad art. Bad translation ruins something, and bad translation can be very formally correct, but it reads badly. Every other Italian written or translated book in English might be perfectly grammatical, but the idiom is wrong. Would it be a spoiler to ask the solution?
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

red solo cup

Karasu

Introduction to the Devout Life. Hopefully it will easy my conscience, than I'll stop being a nuisance here.
In all thy works remember thy last end, and thou shalt never sin. - Sirach 7:40

Prayerful

Quote from: Karasu on December 04, 2016, 12:44:36 PM
Introduction to the Devout Life. Hopefully it will easy my conscience, than I'll stop being a nuisance here.

I find the stuff interesting. It's an insight into the thought process of a convert. That book is very cheap on the Kindle too.

maryslittlegarden

It's a really good book.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Christina_S

What a coincidence! I'm just starting on that one myself.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Bernadette

Quote from: Prayerful on December 04, 2016, 01:05:21 PM

I find the stuff interesting. It's an insight into the thought process of a convert. That book is very cheap on the Kindle too.

Also free here: https://archive.org/details/anintroductiont00salegoog
My Lord and my God.

Bonaventure

War is a Racket, General Smedley Butler.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

ABlaine

Still working through War and Peace, in between 'books' of War and Peace I read Stevenson's The New Arabian Nights as well as The Imitation of Christ (no other book makes me realize what an awful Catholic I am like this book, kind of depressing).

I'm VERY slowly working through Ovid's Ars Amatoria and I just ordered Lucian's The Ass with a running commentary.

Lastly, I am getting close to finishing Marvaux's Le Peitit Maître Corrigé (going to see it next friday) and still working on Maupassant's Bel-Ami

I miss college, studying a job was much more fun than working.

Lynne

Quote from: ABlaine on December 08, 2016, 02:40:09 AM

I miss college, studying a job was much more fun than working.

lol Depends on the job. First few years out of college, one is learning the ropes. You'll have fun someday. What field are you in?
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

ResRev

Quote from: Christina_S on December 07, 2016, 06:06:13 PM
What a coincidence! I'm just starting on that one myself.
Reading it right now, too.
"You shall seek me, and shall find me: when you shall seek me with all your heart." Jeremias 29:13

red solo cup

The Seven Story Mountain by Thomas Merton. I read this about 15-20 years ago before I became Catholic. Thought I would reread it with fresh eyes.
It was like reading a completely different book.

Habitual_Ritual

Roger Scruton - Fools, Frauds and Firebrands: Thinkers of the New Left. A must read for those that want to understand the motives of progressives in media, culture and academia
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)