What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LausTibiChriste

The Catholic Origins of Quebec's Quiet Revolution

The Catholic Origins of Quebec's Quiet Revolution challenges a version of history central to modern Quebec's understanding of itself: that the Quiet Revolution began in the 1960s as a secular vision of state and society which rapidly displaced an obsolete, clericalized Catholicism. Michael Gauvreau argues that organizations such as Catholic youth movements played a central role in formulating the Catholic ideology underlying the Quiet Revolution and that ordinary Quebecers experienced the Quiet Revolution primarily through a series of transformations in the expression of their Catholic identity.

Providing a new understanding of Catholicism's place in twentieth-century Quebec, Gauvreau reveals that Catholicism was not only increasingly dominated by the priorities of laypeople but was also the central force in Quebec's cultural transformation.. He makes it clear that from the 1930s to the 1960s the Church espoused a particularly radical understanding of modernity, especially in the areas of youth, gender identities, marriage, and family.

Basically, far as I can tell, the author is trying to argue that the Quiet Revolution in Quebec was caused by Catholicism itself, rather than a victorious "over throw" from seculars....in that sense Quebec is a microcosm of the entire Church and the modernity that befell it. I just picked up this book from the library (been wanting to read it for forever) and I can't wait to get into it. My Quebec roots are where I got my Faith from and it's such a bloody shame Quebec has turned her back on her heritage.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Lynne

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on September 09, 2016, 01:48:54 AM

The Catholic Origins of Quebec's Quiet Revolution challenges a version of history central to modern Quebec's understanding of itself: that the Quiet Revolution began in the 1960s as a secular vision of state and society which rapidly displaced an obsolete, clericalized Catholicism. Michael Gauvreau argues that organizations such as Catholic youth movements played a central role in formulating the Catholic ideology underlying the Quiet Revolution and that ordinary Quebecers experienced the Quiet Revolution primarily through a series of transformations in the expression of their Catholic identity.

Providing a new understanding of Catholicism's place in twentieth-century Quebec, Gauvreau reveals that Catholicism was not only increasingly dominated by the priorities of laypeople but was also the central force in Quebec's cultural transformation.. He makes it clear that from the 1930s to the 1960s the Church espoused a particularly radical understanding of modernity, especially in the areas of youth, gender identities, marriage, and family.

Basically, far as I can tell, the author is trying to argue that the Quiet Revolution in Quebec was caused by Catholicism itself, rather than a victorious "over throw" from seculars....in that sense Quebec is a microcosm of the entire Church and the modernity that befell it. I just picked up this book from the library (been wanting to read it for forever) and I can't wait to get into it. My Quebec roots are where I got my Faith from and it's such a bloody shame Quebec has turned her back on her heritage.

Sounds sad but interesting. I'm of French Canadian descent, my great-grandfather came down from Granby, Quebec.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Prayerful

The Collects of the Roman Missals, Dr Lauren Pistras.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Optatus

Basically, far as I can tell, the author is trying to argue that the Quiet Revolution in Quebec was caused by Catholicism itself, rather than a victorious "over throw" from seculars....in that sense Quebec is a microcosm of the entire Church and the modernity that befell it.

That seems to be the usual explanation you get from the Québécois, even many of those who remain Catholic. This idea is, IMO, typically Marxist. It is, in fact, an idea communicated by Marx himself when he argued that the Church exists primarily to protect and insulate the unjust system of the bourgeoisie by pacifying the masses and indoctrinating them with Catholic virtues like patient suffering. Simply exchange the word "bourgeoisie" for "Anglo" in this case. This is to say only, if it's even necessary at all to say, that the turncoat Catholics behind the Quiet Revolution were essentially carnal. They remind me in some respects of the early Protestants of the Reformation and also of the Jews in Christ's time. They didn't like the message they were receiving so they rebelled.

red solo cup

The latest from Bill Bryson, The Road to Little Dribbling. Like all of his stuff, an excellent read.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Christina_S

Spiritual Friendship by Aelred of Rievaulx
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Prayerful on September 09, 2016, 05:59:49 AM

I want to read this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Kaesekopf

Sounds very interesting.  You'll have to give us a summary and if it's worth reading!

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Bernadette

Quote from: Kaesekopf on September 13, 2016, 01:38:39 AM

I want to read this

Only $17.04 on Amazon, and doesn't take up any shelf space! Like you need encouragement. ;) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DTTFYAU/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1  I'd read it, but I don't want to be more depressed/enraged about my current Mass than I already am.  :'(
My Lord and my God.

Clare

Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Bernadette on September 13, 2016, 09:28:55 AM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on September 13, 2016, 01:38:39 AM

I want to read this

Only $17.04 on Amazon, and doesn't take up any shelf space! Like you need encouragement. ;) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DTTFYAU/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1  I'd read it, but I don't want to be more depressed/enraged about my current Mass than I already am.  :'(

Ha.  My issue now is saving money...  ;)

zork

End of Watch by Stephen King (2016)
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bernadette

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Can't believe it's been all these years!  :o
My Lord and my God.