What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chestertonian

Quote from: Bernadette on August 27, 2016, 11:24:57 AM
Quote from: zork on August 27, 2016, 10:42:54 AM
Quote from: LausTibiChriste on August 27, 2016, 12:45:21 AM
Attempt #28,384 at The Brothers Karamazov. Here's hoping I actually finish it.

I have owned Anna Karenina and The Brothers Karamazov for years, but haven't yet cracked into them, so props to you, man.

I have yet to make it through either the Audible or the Kindle edition of War and Peace. The really sad part is, I find myself giving up earlier and earlier each time!  :lol:
how far did you get

the first few hundred pages are the hardest because he is laying out the characters and setting the scene...
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Bernadette

The first time (years ago), I got as far as one of the soldiers going home on leave. I think it was Prince Andrei. They were riding in a wagon? That's all I remember. It hadn't snowed yet.  :shrug:
My Lord and my God.

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Carleendiane

Read John Rao, Black Legends. Business as usual and keeping up the status quo throughout history.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Bonaventure

The Scarlet Letter. To ensure that I write study questions demanding a close reading. Sparknotes proof.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Sagradocorazon

True Crime by Andrew Klavan

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Jesus, Mary I love You, save souls

Mono no aware

The Kingdom of God is Within You, by Leo Tolstoy

zork

The Wheel of Time 7: Crown of Swords (1996)
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

maryslittlegarden

Working my way through the Betsy Tacy books.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

zork

Nightmares and Dreamscapes (1993) a short story collection by Stephen King
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Bernadette

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, by Susanna Clarke. I love its tone. :)
My Lord and my God.

Kaesekopf

The Libellus by Bl Jordan of Saxony. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

red solo cup

Quote from: Bernadette on September 06, 2016, 11:33:21 PM
I tried to read this. Seemed quite promising at the start. I kept waiting and waiting for something to happen. After about 300 pages I gave up.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Lynne

The Barbarian Bible by Ianto Watt.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Bernadette

Quote from: red solo cup on September 08, 2016, 05:29:36 AM
Quote from: Bernadette on September 06, 2016, 11:33:21 PM
I tried to read this. Seemed quite promising at the start. I kept waiting and waiting for something to happen. After about 300 pages I gave up.

Yes, the reviews that I read mentioned that it was slow. But I watched the miniseries on Netflix, so I know something happens eventually.  :lol:
My Lord and my God.