What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carleendiane

Not currently, so maybe this doesn't count. But Fr. Hardon had 1 fiction book on his lifetime reading list. It was The Betrothed, but I can't remember the author. Alessandro somebody. I also love the Count of Monte Cristo. Another favorite book was Jeremiah Dentons, When He'll was in Session. Denton is a Catholic who was held in a Vietnam prison camp, the Hanoi Hilton. He served as a U S senator. The book Endurance, another favorite. It was a story of survival in the North Pole in the early 19 hundreds, with photographs. Makes the guy who cut his arm off  when caught between two boulders, seem like a baby. Though surely he wasnt.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Carleendiane

To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Bernadette

You might enjoy Fr. Hugh Thwaites' "War Memoirs of an Amateur", available as audio from Proecclesia.com.

Part 1: http://www.proecclesia.com/talk_HTWarMem1.mp3

Part 2: http://www.proecclesia.com/talk_HTWarMem2.mp3

It details his time in a Japanese POW camp during the war. I especially liked the part about the priest who used to come and visit the camp to bring the Sacraments to the prisoners.
My Lord and my God.

Spera In Deo

The Human Body in Health and Disease.

ONe of the last 2 classes I need for Nursing Pre-requisites.  Clinicals, here I come!
"What Catholics once were, we are. If we are wrong, then Catholics through the ages have been wrong.
We are what you once were. We believe what you once believed.
We worship as you once worshipped. If we are wrong now, you were wrong then. If you were right then, we are right now".

Robert DePiante

Chestertonian

Quote from: Spera In Deo on August 26, 2016, 09:19:21 PM

ONe of the last 2 classes I need for Nursing Pre-requisites.  Clinicals, here I come!
do we need an "is nursing worth it" thread to celebrate
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Chestertonian on August 26, 2016, 09:24:19 PM

"They're gonna die anyways, so forget 'em!"

:lol:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Spera In Deo

Quote from: Chestertonian on August 26, 2016, 09:24:19 PM

:lol:  No.  I have worked in a nursing home for the last 2 & 1/2 years.  I know what I am getting into, the hours, the stress, about what it pays.

Ask any nurse.  They don't do it for the money.  They do it to care for others.  I miss my peeps from my other job.  I love my residents and any nurse worth her salt does too.

They don't last long with all the stresses of the profession if they don't.  I might & oughta shoot some of these kids that go straight from high school to nursing school without ever having worked or volunteered in a clinical setting because nursing is a stable profession with decent money.  Most of those don't make it through, but some do and they make crummy nurses.  You shouldn't be allowed in nursing school without a year as a CNA or hospital or nursing home volunteer.

"What Catholics once were, we are. If we are wrong, then Catholics through the ages have been wrong.
We are what you once were. We believe what you once believed.
We worship as you once worshipped. If we are wrong now, you were wrong then. If you were right then, we are right now".

Robert DePiante

LausTibiChriste

Attempt #28,384 at The Brothers Karamazov. Here's hoping I actually finish it.
Also reading The Spirituality of the Christian East by Tomas Cardinal Spidlik
Also, also reading A Manual of Practical Devotion to St Joseph
And for proper spiritual reading I'm reading Humility of Heart by Bergamo (as recommended by Fr Ripperger)
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

red solo cup

Hannibal: A Hellenistic Life by Eve MacDonald.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Carleendiane

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on August 27, 2016, 12:45:21 AM
And for proper spiritual reading I'm reading Humility of Heart by Bergamo (as recommended by Fr Ripperger)

I thought Humility of Heart was by Fr. Catejan.

Bernadette

I'm telling you right now: spare yourself. I can't remember any other book (among the classics) that made me more disgusted with the baseness of human nature.
My Lord and my God.

zork

I have owned Anna Karenina and The Brothers Karamazov for years, but haven't yet cracked into them, so props to you, man.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Bernadette

Quote from: zork on August 27, 2016, 10:42:54 AM

I have owned Anna Karenina and The Brothers Karamazov for years, but haven't yet cracked into them, so props to you, man.

I have yet to make it through either the Audible or the Kindle edition of War and Peace. The really sad part is, I find myself giving up earlier and earlier each time!  :lol:
My Lord and my God.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Carleendiane on August 27, 2016, 06:31:45 AM

I thought Humility of Heart was by Fr. Catejan.

It is! 

Humility of Heart by Rev. Fr. Cajetan Mary da Bergamo

:lol:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.