What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximilian

Quote from: Chestertonian on July 08, 2015, 02:29:51 PM

habits are meant to be otherworldly to point us to the supernatural.

Not relevant to the question of modesty.

it's not "weird for the sake of weird"

It's ironic that you would say that now when earlier on the thread you said that the people on the cover looked like they were wearing a "family habit."

Baldrick

Quote from: Pon de Replay on July 08, 2015, 04:06:50 PM
  Or is there some sort of coolness level we have to conform to?  I didn't know Catholicism was a fashion clique.  Apparently it is.

Well, not intentionally.  However, a person who understands that every action and word matters - and that for good reason we pay all kinds of homage to form, whether we acknowledge this or not - because it points to something beyond itself, is also likely to have a sense of style.  Style being a very different concept from what is "fashionable". 

Mono no aware

Quote from: Baldrick on July 08, 2015, 05:42:54 PM
  Or is there some sort of coolness level we have to conform to?  I didn't know Catholicism was a fashion clique.  Apparently it is.

Well, not intentionally.  However, a person who understands that every action and word matters - and that for good reason we pay all kinds of homage to form, whether we acknowledge this or not - because it points to something beyond itself, is also likely to have a sense of style.  Style being a very different concept from what is "fashionable".

I understand that.  Philosophically, we have nothing against beauty.  That's why we don't drape our women in burqas.  We can dress ourselves in things other than burlap sacks.  It's not wrong, when choosing clothes, to pick things that will (in a wholesome way) accentuate beauty. 

In fact, the family in question seems to have actually attempted something stylish in their own way: they thought it might be nice to have matching patterns in their outfits.  There's nothing ugly about the picture or the fashions.  Matching outfits or patterns can even be cute on kids who are twins.  It may just look a little goofy on adults.  So be it.  They tried at something and perhaps they didn't quite succeed.  Not everyone can be suave and cosmopolitan when it comes to fashion.  This minor fashion faux pas does not mean that these good people give serious Catholics a lousy reputation.  Should we also get rid of kitsch art and folk Catholicism if the sophisticates consider them an embarassment?  I hate bourgeois tyranny.

MilesChristi

habits are meant to be otherworldly to point us to the supernatural.

it's not "weird for the sake of weird"

But where on this thread were we talking about people who dressed "weird for the sake of weird"?  The family on the book cover, I would imagine, were not intentionally trying to freak people out in the same way as people who wear multiple facial piercings or fishnet body garments.  Perry Farrell was never a topic.  You can dress like the family in that photograph (unfashionable, but endearing), or you can dress like Zooey Deschanel (fashionably retro).  In neither instance would you be causing your fellow Catholics to appear like basketcases.  As long as modesty is observed, we can have a variety of tastes.  Or is there some sort of coolness level we have to conform to?  I didn't know Catholicism was a fashion clique.  Apparently it is.
If I dress like Zoey Deschanel, I'll get a magazine cover...
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Mono no aware

Quote from: MilesChristi on July 09, 2015, 08:47:08 AMIf I dress like Zoey Deschanel, I'll get a magazine cover...

Perhaps.  But there's a difference between transvestism and transgenderism.  A man dressed in women's clothing can be funny, like Benny Hill.  But Bruce Jenner, I believe, is sacrificing an important appendage for his own transformation.  (Yikes!)  That's when you go from the frivolous to the insane.

JubilateDeo

Either way, it's a good book.

Just not a fashion book :)

MilesChristi

Quote from: Pon de Replay on July 09, 2015, 08:58:01 AM
Quote from: MilesChristi on July 09, 2015, 08:47:08 AMIf I dress like Zoey Deschanel, I'll get a magazine cover...

Perhaps.  But there's a difference between transvestism and transgenderism.  A man dressed in women's clothing can be funny, like Benny Hill.  But Bruce Jenner, I believe, is sacrificing an important appendage for his own transformation.  (Yikes!)  That's when you go from the frivolous to the insane.

I'm not in the protesting mood...

Arun

forget transgenederism for a minute. i'm transageist. it's discrimination that they don't make footsie pajamas for 120kg, broad shouldered men. the biggest one i could find wouldn't even fit one of my legs in. where's my magazine cover??

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Arun on July 09, 2015, 08:31:24 PM

forget transgenederism for a minute. i'm transageist. it's discrimination that they don't make footsie pajamas for 120kg, broad shouldered men. the biggest one i could find wouldn't even fit one of my legs in. where's my magazine cover??

Actually, I think they do now.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bernadette

Quote from: Kaesekopf on July 10, 2015, 08:44:45 AM

:rofl:
My Lord and my God.

Clare

Quote from: Maximilian on July 02, 2015, 06:29:57 PM
Quote from: Clare on July 02, 2015, 02:19:07 PM

Just about to read C S Lewis's Cosmic Trilogy again, which I first read last year.

Did you ever give us your thoughts on "That Hideous Strength"?
I'm not there yet, but I've just finished Out Of The Silent Planet again. It would be great if some bright spark could devise a Weston-Ransom Malacandrian translator, so politicians' speeches can be entered in and translated into Malacandrian-English, Ransom style!

That part of the book really made me chuckle. I'd read Weston's speech, then Ransom's translation and think, "Did Weston really say that?"; and then look back at what Weston had said, and think, "Yes, I suppose he did!"
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

LausTibiChriste

Just started God's Playground by Norman Davies
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Molly Grue

Pon de Replay and Clare, I love you both. Thank you.
It would be the last unicorn in the world who came to Molly Grue.

Arun

Quote from: Bernadette on July 10, 2015, 08:58:30 AM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on July 10, 2015, 08:44:45 AM

:rofl:

well all right then

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

MilesChristi