What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clare

Quote from: Rose on May 29, 2015, 07:36:45 AM
Clare, is there a link to either of those on Amazon or elsewhere online? I couldn't find either of them for Kindle.
I don't know anything about Kindle, but Abebooks seems to have the cheapest copy of the Shane Leslie book, although it makes up for it in postage! The Tablet archive has some excerpts.

I can't find much else regarding Fr Thurston's book except what comes up on Amazon.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Kaesekopf on May 29, 2015, 08:49:34 AM
Quote from: LausTibiChriste on May 29, 2015, 03:32:35 AM
The Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska

If previous threads are to be believed, some of you will commend me, some will condemn me  ;)

Trying to impress them Polish girls, eh?

I do that without the book son.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

maryslittlegarden

Fatima Priest :)

:pray1: :pray2: :pray3: for Father Gruner. 
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

TPC

Principles of Catholic Theology,  by Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger (Pope Benedict XVI).

An intellectual intellectualizing on the intellectualization of the Catholic Faith pre and post Vatican II from various perspectives.

QuoteAdmittedly, it can be argued that, however great Gregory (of Nazianzus) may have been as a theologian, as a person he was a hypochondriac and possessed of an oversensitive artistic nature.
pg. 368.

QuoteIf it is desirable to offer a diagnosis of the text as a whole (Gaudium et spes), we might say that in conjunction with the texts on religious liberty and world religions it is a revision of the Syllabus of Pius IX, a kind of countersyllabus...Let us be content to say here that the text serves as a countersyllabus and, as such, represents, on the part of the Church, an attempt at an official reconciliation with the new era inaugurated in 1789.
pg. 381, 82.
(bold emphasis added)

QuoteWas the Council (Vatican II) a wrong road that we must now retrace if we are to save the Church? The voices of those who say that it was are becoming louder and their followers more numerous. Among the more obvious phenomena of the last years must be counted the increasing number of integralist groups in which the desire for piety, for the sense of mystery, is finding satisfaction. We must be on our guard against minimizing these movements. Without a doubt, they represent a sectarian zealotry that is the antithesis of Catholicity.
pg. 389

Michael Wilson

Thanks for the quotes TPC; keep them coming.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

TPC

Quote from: Michael Wilson on June 03, 2015, 09:05:13 PM
Thanks for the quotes TPC; keep them coming.

Lol. I see where you are coming from. He does have extensive footnotes which (at least to me) take different perspectives and have some interest spanning the history of the Church.

QuoteI came across a text by Eusebius of Caesarea, who, in the year 325, had participated in the first ecumenical council in the history of the Church - the Council of Nicaea - and had formulated his impressions of this ecclesial assembly...
pg. 367

I bought his book primarily to see his point of view in full context after I had read partial quotes taken from his book on the internet (ha, like this post).   

Michael Wilson

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

piabee

"Matt & Ben" by Mindy Kaling and Brenda Withers

TPC

Quote from: Michael Wilson on June 03, 2015, 09:20:32 PM
What do you think, so far?

I disqualify myself in the sense that my goal for reading this book was for specific information and selected topics to understand rather than general discovery. In particular, searching for evidence of a connective tissue or converging/overlapping ideologies espoused by Vatican II, Enlightenment/ Masonic Principles (Albert Mackey Albert Pike), and a Thelemic/ Crowleian world view (do what thou wilt);....based on a primal liberty of conscience. Of recent, coming upon weird synchronicities between these diverse groups has driven me (in my off time) to search for objective data to link them. An admitted prejudice. But my thoughts so far...     

His approach (B16's) reminds me of somebody 'thinking out loud,' in print. Revealing his philosophy behind his reasoning. In particular, towards the concept of 'Church' in it's worship, doctrines, morality, and government. He liberates his conscience in the sense of stating his perceptions outside of structure and boundaries to what the Church has previously taught into searching creatively to break down the struggles facing the social existence of man in relation to religion. A tall order considering he's addressing both Catholic and non-Catholic communities; both in isolation and with each other in the search for a higher spiritual existence through the vehicle of religion.

His methodology gives weight to the needs of man into re-evaluating Catholic theology as a time dependent anachronism in It's claims of the immutability of her dogmas and doctrines; her constitution and liturgy. Seemingly affected is the apostolicity of the Church, if viewed in threefold: of origin, of teaching, and succession -- to which these concepts are also examined in reference to the needs of man, the current general landscape, and the reality of the Church (Conciliar) adapting to the changing realities of her environment.

His perspectives include and range from Luther to the Patristic Fathers in an amalgamation of concepts and ideas to reconcile previous doctrinal disagreements into perhaps a new way to look at old divisions and religious demarcations. For example, in bringing up the broad and complex topic of the connection between 'salvation and history', Ratzinger calls upon Karl Rahner and breaks down the good and the questionable to this modern Theologian ...
QuoteI propose to outline here the most effective and surely the most penetrating of these attempts: that of Karl Rahner, who wrestled with the problem in his early work Hörer des Wortes and later undertook to build on that beginning, particularly with his concept of the anonymous Christian.
pg. 162

red solo cup

The Gentleman in the Parlour by Somerset Maugham
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Michael Wilson

TPC,
thank you so much for your thoughtful and interesting post.

Arun

The Pilgrim continues His Way, the Bacovcin translation. both this and the first part (Way of A Pilgrim) are primo spiritual reading.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

JubilateDeo

Kaesekopf

Good choice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

piabee