What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arun

i thought Piper at the Gates of Dawn was a Pink Floyd album...

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Clare

Quote from: Arun on September 25, 2014, 05:30:35 PM
i thought Piper at the Gates of Dawn was a Pink Floyd album...
So did I!
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

LouisIX

IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Daniel

Quote from: Maximilian on September 25, 2014, 03:37:56 PM
Hmm. Hate to be a killjoy. And some parts of it are hilariously funny. Other parts, however, like "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" are openly pagan and pan-theistic in a typical early 20th-century way.
offtopic - What's "pan-theism"?  I think I've heard that term before and just assumed it was another way of saying "pantheism".  But you're using it as if it has something to do with the pagan god Pan?

Maximilian

Quote from: Daniel on September 27, 2014, 01:06:22 PM
Quote from: Maximilian on September 25, 2014, 03:37:56 PM
Hmm. Hate to be a killjoy. And some parts of it are hilariously funny. Other parts, however, like "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" are openly pagan and pan-theistic in a typical early 20th-century way.
offtopic - What's "pan-theism"?  I think I've heard that term before and just assumed it was another way of saying "pantheism".  But you're using it as if it has something to do with the pagan god Pan?

No, just a random extra hyphen. But in this particular case it does have to do with Pan. But I wasn't intending to make a pun.

Melanie_T

I am trying to read "The Last Illusion"by Porochista Khakpour....which is a reworking of a Persian myth/ legend.  I can't settle with it, having discovered I hate modern writers, all who have university qualifications and trying to be clever imho.

I am also reading "The knight in the panther's skin", a medieval tale from Georgia...the one by the Back Sea, not America. Georgia has a fascinating history straddling the West and the East.

Melanie_T

Has anyone read " Three men in a boat" by Jerome Jerome?

Arun

Quote from: Melanie_T on October 09, 2014, 06:18:57 AM
I am trying to read "The Last Illusion"by Porochista Khakpour....which is a reworking of a Persian myth/ legend.  I can't settle with it, having discovered I hate modern writers, all who have university qualifications and trying to be clever imho.

I am also reading "The knight in the panther's skin", a medieval tale from Georgia...the one by the Back Sea, not America. Georgia has a fascinating history straddling the West and the East.

Georgia has some beautiful histories and traditions. it was one of the oldest Christian nations in the world.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

red solo cup

The Station by Robert Byron.  The author visited the famous Mt Athos of Greece in 1927 with an archaeologist friend to record the frescos and mosaics of the various
Orthodox monasteries. Athos is famous for banning women from the entire peninsula including  female domestic animals and even laying hens.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Daniel

I'm now reading If the World Only Knew by Noël DEROSE.  It's a brief biography of Fernand Crombette (a Catholic cosmologist and Egyptologist) and an overview/summary of Crombette's writings.  But at first glance, some of Crombette's stuff seems heretical, so I'm not sure what to think of it at this point.

(the image on the cover is actually a side view of what Crombette believed Pangaea looked like:
)

JubilateDeo

sprungli

re-reading the lion, the witch and the wardrobe and pippi longstocking for a literature essay.

Melanie_T

Still having my love affair with Georgia, as Arun says it is one of the oldest Christian nations although schismatic orthodox. There are many beautiful monasteries and churches. It is thought the Garden of Eden was around there!

The medieval period is lovely, and the national love of polyphonic music. It is with sadness I know I will never travel there.....

Melanie_T

Currently listening to "The White Company" by Arthur Conan Doyle. Boys own adventure stuff.