What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

How is removing the blindfold?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Spera In Deo

Just beginning this one.  Will update more later
"What Catholics once were, we are. If we are wrong, then Catholics through the ages have been wrong.
We are what you once were. We believe what you once believed.
We worship as you once worshipped. If we are wrong now, you were wrong then. If you were right then, we are right now".

Robert DePiante

GeorgeT

I just finished Yes God! By Susie Lloyd. It's a parenting book about families that raised children with vocations. Many of the families were far from perfect. It was pretty interesting. It had some nice comments about how terrible the 1970s were in the church.
Check out my Lives of the saints comics!

http://tautkusstudio.com/pb/wp_8bec74cf/wp_8bec74cf.html

Chestertonian

Quote from: GeorgeT on September 12, 2014, 06:47:09 AM
I just finished Yes God! By Susie Lloyd. It's a parenting book about families that raised children with vocations. Many of the families were far from perfect. It was pretty interesting. It had some nice comments about how terrible the 1970s were in the church.

sounds interesting
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Lynne

Quote from: Chestertonian on September 12, 2014, 09:27:54 AM
Quote from: GeorgeT on September 12, 2014, 06:47:09 AM

sounds interesting

It has a Kindle version...   :)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

piabee

The Machine Stops, a sci-fi novella by E. M. Forster. Metaphorically heavy-handed but some interesting Christian elements so far.

JubilateDeo

The Desolate City: Revolution in the Catholic Church by Anne Muggeridge

LausTibiChriste

Iota Unum

While I do not have a philosophical or theological background that I envision is necessary to fully understand what this book is saying, it is still remarkable and gives amazing insight into what the Council has done. I'm only about 150 pages in, but hearing about how vehemently the Bishops opposed Humanae Vitae is disgusting.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Rose

You're all reading such brainy books!

I'm reading The Cornish Coast Murder by John Bude...1930s classic British whodunit  :whistling:
To Jesus through Mary.

Remember the Holy Souls!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Bernadette

Just about to start Dante's Purgatorio. I'm looking forward to it, since I've never read it before.
My Lord and my God.

Daniel

I'm reading The Lamb's Supper.  It's about the connection between John's Apocalypse and the Mass.  The book itself is Novus Ordo but I think it's based on traditional sources and I've learned a few things from it.

Quote from: Bernadette on September 21, 2014, 07:42:51 PM
Just about to start Dante's Purgatorio. I'm looking forward to it, since I've never read it before.
I haven't read that either (or the other two).  Maybe I'll check them out.  Are they each stand-alone books or does they really only make sense when they're all read together?

red solo cup

The Third Horseman: Climate Change and the Great Famine of the 14th Century by William Rosen.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Clare

Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Elizabeth

Quote from: AngloFalcon on September 05, 2014, 12:25:57 PM
Radio Replies by Fathers Rumble and Carty. The three books are excellent and work as incredibly useful refreshers for Catechism. My less dignified reading includes The Wind in the Willows. It's becoming a bit of an annual tradition  ::).

I wouldn't describe The Wind in the Willows as anything less than brilliant.

Maximilian

Quote from: Elizabeth on September 25, 2014, 03:09:38 PM
Quote from: AngloFalcon on September 05, 2014, 12:25:57 PM
Radio Replies by Fathers Rumble and Carty. The three books are excellent and work as incredibly useful refreshers for Catechism. My less dignified reading includes The Wind in the Willows. It's becoming a bit of an annual tradition  ::).

I wouldn't describe The Wind in the Willows as anything less than brilliant.

Hmm. Hate to be a killjoy. And some parts of it are hilariously funny. Other parts, however, like "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" are openly pagan and pan-theistic in a typical early 20th-century way.