What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

The man who saw through Heaven, Wilbur Daniel Steele.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

zork

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

red solo cup

The Pope and Mussolini by David Kertzer
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Francisco Suárez

Right and Reason by Fr. Austin Fagothey S.J.

Bernadette

I've just finished My Prison Life by Jabez Spencer Balfour, about his time in prison from 1896-1906 for some kind of investment fraud. I find Victorian/Edwardian social hostory fascinating. 

Oh, and The Water Babies, by Charles Kingsley. Never read it before.
My Lord and my God.

Kaesekopf

I am slowly working on two books, Getting Things Done by David Allen and The Three Greatest Prayers, a summary of sorts of Aquinas's sermons of the Apostle's Creed, Our Father, and Hail Mary (as the Ave existed back then).
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Lynne

I just finished "The Man Who Knew Too Much" by G.C. Chesterton (on Librivox).

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

red solo cup

Catherine the Great by Robert K. Massie
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Clare

Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

zork

Just finished Dr. Sleep by Stephen King. Now reading The Wheel of Time book 2: The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan and The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie.

Pheo

Quote from: vakarian on April 27, 2014, 01:25:18 PMNow reading The Wheel of Time book 2: The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan

Think this series is worth reading?  It's quite the time investment...but it sounds interesting.

I'm just starting The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson so long books don't put me off at all.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

verenaerin

A biography on St. Lydwine. Great book, as soon as I am finished I will post a short write up on it.

zork

Quote from: Pheo on April 27, 2014, 06:09:10 PM
Quote from: vakarian on April 27, 2014, 01:25:18 PMNow reading The Wheel of Time book 2: The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan

Think this series is worth reading?  It's quite the time investment...but it sounds interesting.

I'm just starting The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson so long books don't put me off at all.

Well, I had read that books 1-5 were great, 6-8 not so much, 9-11 were ok, and the last 3 (by Sanderson) were great. Book 1 was a page-turner, so I read it quickly in spite of being a slow reader.

So, I'd say yes, it's worth reading.

Michael Wilson

Quote from: vakarian on April 27, 2014, 06:57:53 PM
Quote from: Pheo on April 27, 2014, 06:09:10 PM

Well, I had read that books 1-5 were great, 6-8 not so much, 9-11 were ok, and the last 3 (by Sanderson) were great. Book 1 was a page-turner, so I read it quickly in spite of being a slow reader.

So, I'd say yes, it's worth reading.
I agree with your assesment. I liked the series, there is a lot of character development and a multitude of characters and plot lines (I kept a page marker with the names of the people and notes of who they were, as I would lose track and many of the names sounded alike). I hated the ending.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace