What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

Quote from: Bernadette on December 31, 2013, 12:51:00 AM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 31, 2013, 12:22:46 AM
Dogma of Hell made me want to go to confession after turning every page.

This is why I don't read it. What was that someone said about how reading certain things being like pouring acid on an open wound?

That's what a trad priest once told me after I told him my scruples went crazy.

It's weird. I have a big mouth but I'm scrupulous.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

tradne4163

Quote from: Bonaventure on December 31, 2013, 01:00:01 AM
Quote from: Bernadette on December 31, 2013, 12:51:00 AM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 31, 2013, 12:22:46 AM
Dogma of Hell made me want to go to confession after turning every page.

This is why I don't read it. What was that someone said about how reading certain things being like pouring acid on an open wound?

That's what a trad priest once told me after I told him my scruples went crazy.

It's weird. I have a big mouth but I'm scrupulous.
I just figured I'd give it a read. It's been gathering dust for quite a while. There are one or two others I was wanting to read soon, but I figured I'd save them for Lent.
Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Take any post I write with a grain of salt. I've been wrong before, and can be again

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

zork

Wheel of Time 1: Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Maximilian

Quote from: vakarian on January 07, 2014, 02:36:49 PM

Oh no, there goes the next few months as you try to plow through 10,000 pages of Rand saving the world. lol Among the various LOtR knock-offs, I found these rather entertaining.

zork

Quote from: Maximilian on January 07, 2014, 06:56:54 PM
Quote from: vakarian on January 07, 2014, 02:36:49 PM

Oh no, there goes the next few months as you try to plow through 10,000 pages of Rand saving the world. lol Among the various LOtR knock-offs, I found these rather entertaining.

Nah, it will take me years to plow through this series. It took 2 years to get through combined series of The Belgariad and The Mallorean. Plus, I plan to read other books in between WoT, including Brandon Sanderson's works.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Bernadette

I'm really enjoying Volume 1 of The Collected Letters of St. Teresa of Avila. Her turns of phrase are really witty.  :D I find her letters of spiritual direction to be particularly interesting and helpful. She even wrote to men who asked her for advice in prayer and spiritual matters! And I love how convenient the footnotes are, using the Kindle: you can click on the citation and the footnote pops up for you to read, without even leaving your current page!  :D
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

Quote from: Bernadette on January 08, 2014, 08:23:58 AM
I'm really enjoying Volume 1 of The Collected Letters of St. Teresa of Avila. Her turns of phrase are really witty.  :D I find her letters of spiritual direction to be particularly interesting and helpful. She even wrote to men who asked her for advice in prayer and spiritual matters! And I love how convenient the footnotes are, using the Kindle: you can click on the citation and the footnote pops up for you to read, without even leaving your current page!  :D

Link to purchase please?!  :)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Bernadette

Quote from: Lynne on January 08, 2014, 08:26:28 AM

Here are both volumes:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=The+collected+letters+of+st.+teresa+of+avila

What a shame that The Letters of St. Therese of Lisieux aren't available for Kindle! I'd be willing to buy them again in order to have those gloriously convenient footnotes!
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

Quote from: Bernadette on January 08, 2014, 08:33:32 AM
Quote from: Lynne on January 08, 2014, 08:26:28 AM

Here are both volumes:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=The+collected+letters+of+st.+teresa+of+avila

What a shame that The Letters of St. Therese of Lisieux aren't available for Kindle! I'd be willing to buy them again in order to have those gloriously convenient footnotes!

Thank you! I got the sample of Volume 1 just to be sure... (Kindle samples are like crack)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Pheo

Finally reading Brideshead Revisited.  I hope it redeems itself after this drawn out, effete, gossipy soliloquy by Anthony.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Clare

Just starting The Pilgrim's Regress by C.S. Lewis.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Larry

I've been in the habit of reading books about the Shroud of Turin lately. Right now I'm reading Verdict on the Shroud by Kenneth Stevenson and Gary Habermas, a book I've read several times in the past(but it's been awhile). I also ordered a bunch of Shroud books used from Amazon for like a penny apiece(all I pay is the shipping), including some that attack the Shroud's authenticity. I already know the answers to their arguments(and I had read at least one of them in an earlier edition in the past), but I still want to read them anyway. The Shroud is a subject that has never ceased to fascinate me ever since a nun in the 6th grade showed me a holy card of the Holy Face. To me, there's no question that the Shroud is the real thing.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Michael Wilson

I'm not currently reading this book, I read it last year; its very well written and entertaining; the plot line is  realistic and if anyone is looking for an gripping fiction book, they will like this one; here is what amazon has posted on its  site:

One Second After Mass Market Paperback
by William R. Forstchen
http://www.amazon.com/One-Second-After-William-Forstchen/dp/0765356864/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1390065640&sr=1-1&keywords=one+second
In a Norman Rockwell town in North Carolina, where residents rarely lock homes, retired army colonel John Matherson teaches college, raises two daughters, and grieves the loss of his wife to cancer. When phones die and cars inexplicably stall, Grandma's pre-computerized Edsel takes readers to a stunning scene on the car-littered interstate, on which 500 stranded strangers, some with guns, awaken John's New Jersey street-smart instincts to get the family home and load the shotgun. Next morning, some townspeople realize that an electromagnetic pulse weapon has destroyed America's power grid, and they proceed to set survival priorities. John's list includes insulin for his type-one diabetic 12-year-old, candy bars, and sacks of ice. Deaths start with heart attacks and eventually escalate alarmingly. Food becomes scarce, and societal breakdown proceeds with inevitable violence; towns burn, and ex-servicemen recall "Korea in '51" as military action by unlikely people becomes the norm in Forstchen's sad, riveting cautionary tale, the premise of which Newt Gingrich's foreword says is completely possible. --Whitney Scott
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers