What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clau clau

I read this short story last night. I really enjoyed it.

Miss Winchelsea's Heart - HG Wells

http://www.online-literature.com/wellshg/11/
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Kaesekopf

I started the Count of Monte Cristo two nights ago.

I tore through the prison "scene" in one sitting.  :lol:  Oops.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bernadette

Quote from: Kaesekopf on March 20, 2023, 01:48:11 PMI started the Count of Monte Cristo two nights ago.

Which transformation? I favor the Robin Buss.
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

That should say translation. Stupid autocorrect.
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

Memoirs of St. John Bosco I had a devotion to this saint when I was younger. I even bought a painting of him when I was in Rome, to hang on my wall. He was the teacher and biographer of St. Dominic Savio. I love reading Saints' stories of other Saints.
My Lord and my God.

GMC

Quote from: GMC on December 06, 2022, 04:04:44 PMThe whole Bible from Genesis to Revelation. I have read parts of the Bible, but never all of it.

Finished.

Lynne

I read All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot a couple of months ago and then started All Things Bright and Beautiful, his second book. I'm enjoying them but I'll probably take a break after this one as some of the stories are sad.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Bernadette

Quote from: Lynne on April 29, 2023, 01:25:06 PMI read All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot a couple of months ago and then started All Things Bright and Beautiful, his second book. I'm enjoying them but I'll probably take a break after this one as some of the stories are sad.
I love this series. I have them all on kindle and as audio books. There's a TV series also.  The actor who plays James Herriot narrates the audio books.
My Lord and my God.

drummerboy

Osprey Publishing's "U-Boats of the Kriegsmarine 1939-1945 (2)"  Exciting stuff
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

red solo cup

Sun Tzu at Gettysburg. Ancient Military Wisdom in the Modern World by Bevin Alexander
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Lynne

Saint Teresa of Avila by William Thomas Walsh. It's very enjoyable.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Bernadette on March 20, 2023, 02:05:08 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on March 20, 2023, 01:48:11 PMI started the Count of Monte Cristo two nights ago.

Which transformation? I favor the Robin Buss.

Whichever one my wife has on the Kindle.  :lol: 

I think it is Robin Buss.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Kaesekopf

I'm like 78% of the way done now! 

It's been a long slog, especially between school.  But, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Bernadette

I first listened to it on librivox.org, in an old translation. Then I got the Robin Buss translation on kindle. I enjoy both, mostly because the Brit reading the audiobook does fantastic accents.
My Lord and my God.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Bernadette on May 16, 2023, 03:59:35 PMI first listened to it on librivox.org, in an old translation. Then I got the Robin Buss translation on kindle. I enjoy both, mostly because the Brit reading the audiobook does fantastic accents.

The one thing that I find somewhat annoying, after 700 some pages, is the interchange of titles in French.  "Oh, so the Vicomte is a <so and so>".  Makes it a bit harder keeping track of the three dozen characters :lol: