Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 434607 times)

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #2550 on: August 06, 2022, 03:44:16 PM »
Dem Days Was Hell: Slave Narratives collected by the Federal Writers' Project. The entire 31 volume series is .99, couldn't pass it up.

Try to find this one to balance the propaganda:

https://www.betterworldbooks.com/product/detail/9780692630099?shipto=US&curcode=USD&gclid=Cj0KCQjworiXBhDJARIsAMuzAuxdv6m2t4pNuYKuwPpBftWodFF8kGJ1UrKFLH7yhh8uSx6lY6wOXQsaAhNgEALw_wcB
I wouldn’t call it propaganda. There are stories of people who loved their “white folks”, and stories of people who were treated badly. It seems pretty balanced.
"Make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is come to life again; he was lost, and is found."

The following users thanked this post: Michael Wilson

Offline maryslittlegarden

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #2551 on: August 08, 2022, 08:55:15 AM »
The Consoling Thoughts of St Francis De Sales
I will give glory to thee because thou hast heard me: and art become my salvation. The stone which the builders rejected; the same is become the head of the corner.  This is the Lord's doing: and it is wonderful in our eyes.  This is the day which the Lord hath made: let us be glad and rejoice therein

The following users thanked this post: Bernadette, Lynne, Michael Wilson

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Major
« Reply #2552 on: August 11, 2022, 11:56:53 PM »
The Hound of the Baskervilles.
"Make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is come to life again; he was lost, and is found."

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, Padraig, Michael Wilson, Melkor

Offline Acolyte

• Wachtmeister
  • Soli Deo gloria
  • Religion: RC
« Reply #2553 on: August 16, 2022, 11:52:02 PM »
Edit :Oops, wrong forum
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 11:55:28 PM by Acolyte »
"Consider all the past has nothing, and say, like David: Now I begin to love my God."
St Francis de Sales

Offline Melkor

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • memento mori
« Reply #2554 on: August 17, 2022, 07:42:32 AM »
The Hound of the Baskervilles.

I personally think that that is the greatest mystery novel ever written. My sister, who is a big Agatha Christie fan, denies it quite vigorously lol.

Edited for a typo
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 10:10:55 AM by Melkor »
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

The following users thanked this post: Bernadette, Lynne

Offline Melkor

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • memento mori
« Reply #2555 on: August 17, 2022, 07:44:35 AM »
The Sea Warriors by Richard Woodman. A masterful insight into the importance of the role that frigates played during the Napoleonic wars.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Offline Polymath

« Reply #2556 on: August 17, 2022, 10:24:36 AM »
The Appalling Strangeness of the Mercy of God by Michael Pakaluk, about his late wife who was so clearly a saint.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Maximilian

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Major
« Reply #2557 on: August 17, 2022, 07:35:48 PM »
Getting ready to start Nella Last's War which is a collection of one woman's diaries in wartime Britain. She wrote for the Mass Observation Project, which documented the effects of the war on everyday citizens.

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, Lynne

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Major
« Reply #2558 on: August 26, 2022, 04:40:28 PM »
Just finished The Gate of the Giant Scissors, a sweet children's story, and getting ready to start London Labour and the London Poor by Henry Mayhew, and Food in England by Dorothy Hartley.

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #2559 on: August 27, 2022, 06:22:43 AM »
The Death of the West by Patrick Buchanan. Everything happening today, he predicted 20 years ago.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, Lynne, Maximilian, Padraig

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Major
« Reply #2560 on: August 30, 2022, 09:52:24 AM »
Getting ready to reread My Catholic Faith, by +Morrow. I found a copy on archive.org and am curious to see how it compares to the original.

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #2561 on: August 30, 2022, 10:44:37 AM »
I'm slowly meandering my way through Bram Stoker's Dracula.  It's interesting.  It's somehow both fast-paced and long.  :lol:

Besides that, I've also got a book checked out on the 1916 Easter Rising, under the same title 1916: Easter Rising by Tim Pat Coogan. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, Justin Martyr, Melkor

Offline Justin Martyr

• Slave of Mary
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #2562 on: August 30, 2022, 12:03:49 PM »
Handbook of Moral Theology by Fr. Prümmer O.P.
One is my dove, my perfect one is but one, she is the only one of her mother, the chosen of her that bore her. The daughters saw her, and declared her most blessed: the queens and concubines, and they praised her. Who is she that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as an army set in array?
The Canticle of Canticles, 6:8-9

While those who give scandal are guilty of the spiritual equivalent of murder, those who take scandal — who allow scandals to destroy faith —are guilty of spiritual suicide.
St. Francis de Sales, The Catholic Controversy

Offline maryslittlegarden

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #2563 on: August 30, 2022, 12:46:50 PM »
Besides that, I've also got a book checked out on the 1916 Easter Rising, under the same title 1916: Easter Rising by Tim Pat Coogan.

I've got a couple of other books by Tim Pat Coogan (The Troubles and Michael Collins), good author
I will give glory to thee because thou hast heard me: and art become my salvation. The stone which the builders rejected; the same is become the head of the corner.  This is the Lord's doing: and it is wonderful in our eyes.  This is the day which the Lord hath made: let us be glad and rejoice therein

Offline Lynne

• Thankful to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Major
« Reply #2564 on: August 30, 2022, 02:57:52 PM »

I've got a couple of other books by Tim Pat Coogan (The Troubles and Michael Collins), good author
Adding this to my list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”