Help me to love the Lord of the Rings

Started by Bernadette, February 13, 2022, 03:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

To be clear, I don't dislike The Lord of the Rings. I thought it was a good story. But I didn't love it, like so many people I see online seem to. I read it once, and listened to it once, and haven't been able to pick it up since. What am I missing?
My Lord and my God.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Bernadette on February 13, 2022, 03:43:25 PM
To be clear, I don't dislike The Lord of the Rings. I thought it was a good story. But I didn't love it, like so many people I see online seem to. I read it once, and listened to it once, and haven't been able to pick it up since.

Whether you love something or not depends on what you want from it. My appreciation of The Lord of the Rings, as literature and as a movie, The X-Files, Charles Dickens, and H. P. Lovecraft are all a little different. I don't use one to replace the other: reading the works of Tolkien and Lovecraft and Dickens are not the same. Watching the films of The Lord of the Rings is not the same as reading the books. Watching The X-Files is not the same as watching those films.

So, if you are looking for something in particular, you might not "love" what others love, for they were looking for something else.

QuoteWhat am I missing?
Given what you do read, you might be too acclimated to lesser works in this genre.

Observe those who hate Dickens. For those of us who read his works and enjoy it, their views are quite odd. But I think we can see the same situation: what people are looking for and what they are used to are not fulfilled by the works.

For you, you probably need immersion. Read and study the books, including The Silmarillion, until you love them.

Bernadette

I'm thinking of ordering the reader's companion. Maybe knowing the background information will help.
My Lord and my God.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Bernadette on February 13, 2022, 04:21:06 PM
I'm thinking of ordering the reader's companion. Maybe knowing the background information will help.

That is a rabbit hole. I wish you well, but be aware that this rabbit hole goes a lot further than I am willing to go...and most consider me to have gone pretty far (but I haven't).

Compared to other fiction, Tolkien's work is mostly background information for the stories he actually published. Maybe that is why they are so good: they are historical fiction.

Maybe this time next year you'll have all of it: an entire shelf with the History of Middle Earth, compendiums, linguistics, histories, etc.

Bernadette

I've just read some of the reviews of the Reader's Companion, and I think I'll skip it. It sounds more in depth than I thought.
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

Quote from: Pæniteo on February 13, 2022, 04:32:18 PM
Maybe this time next year you'll have all of it: an entire shelf with the History of Middle Earth, compendiums, linguistics, histories, etc.

I do have some empty space on my bookshelves. Right across from my Dickens shelf. ;)
My Lord and my God.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Bernadette on February 13, 2022, 04:41:16 PM
I've just read some of the reviews of the Reader's Companion, and I think I'll skip it. It sounds more in depth than I thought.

The Silmarillion is probably sufficient. It is for me.

Quote from: Bernadette on February 13, 2022, 04:52:45 PM
I do have some empty space on my bookshelves. Right across from my Dickens shelf.
Do you have Tolkien's published works and The Silmarillion? If not, I know a guy...

Bernadette

Quote from: Pæniteo on February 13, 2022, 05:04:47 PM

The Silmarillion is probably sufficient. It is for me.

Quote from: Bernadette on February 13, 2022, 04:52:45 PM
I do have some empty space on my bookshelves. Right across from my Dickens shelf.
Do you have Tolkien's published works and The Silmarillion? If not, I know a guy...

No, I was looking at the illustrated box set on Amazon. It seems to have a pretty large typeface, so I'm leaning toward it.
My Lord and my God.

Michael Wilson

You don't have to love the L.O.T.R. Not all types of literature appeal to all. If you don't like it, that is O.K. I loved the books when I read them when I was in my teens; and I loved the movie versions. But they are not for everyone; there are people in my own family who couldn't stand the books, despite my pushing them. They prefer "The Bronte Sisters" eeewwwwwww!
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Jayne

I don't know if an awareness of some the critical scholarship around Tolkien would enhance your appreciation.  You could get an overview of this from this Wikipedia article:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literary_hostility_to_J._R._R._Tolkien 

I found the concluding paragraph intriguing:

QuoteSumming up the attacks, Curry identified two consistent features: "a visceral hostility and emotional animus, and a plethora of mistakes showing that the books had not been read closely".[6] In his view, these derived from the critics' feeling that Tolkien threatened their "dominant ideology", modernism. Tolkien is, he wrote, modern but not modernist, at least as well-educated as the critics (another thing that made them feel threatened), and not ironic (especially about his writing). The Lord of the Rings is equally "a story told by a master story-teller; a story inspired by philology; a story suffused with Catholic values; and a mythic (or mythopoeic) story with a North European pagan inflection". In other words, Tolkien was about as anti-modernist as possible.

This idea that there is something essentially anti-modernist about Lord of the Rings might explain why it tends to be popular among traditional Catholics. 
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Melkor

Quote from: Bernadette on February 13, 2022, 03:43:25 PM
To be clear, I don't dislike The Lord of the Rings. I thought it was a good story. But I didn't love it, like so many people I see online seem to. I read it once, and listened to it once, and haven't been able to pick it up since. What am I missing?

Read the appendixes at the back of the 3rd book.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Melkor on February 14, 2022, 06:30:22 PM
Does this have anything to do with you being mentioned right at the beginning, Morgoth the Enemy?

Melkor

Quote from: Pæniteo on February 14, 2022, 06:35:06 PM
Quote from: Melkor on February 14, 2022, 06:30:22 PM
Does this have anything to do with you being mentioned right at the beginning, Morgoth the Enemy?

Can you please stop letting everyone know? :rolleyes: my cover is blown.

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Melkor

Get this instead, it's extremely useful when diving into the mythos.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I1VX8T0/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i0

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Melkor on February 14, 2022, 06:36:08 PM
Can you please stop letting everyone know? my cover is blown.

Your cover is safe: everybody who knows knows immediately, and everybody else is willfully blind.

Speaking of cover, one might notice I just got rid of a bunch of my stuff. This is because I recently upgraded everything. I saw a nice hard cover edition and I said to myself that I wants it, and when my birthday came, I gots it. I also upgraded to the Extended Editions. The Silmarillion upgrade is on its way. I hope he-who-shall-not-be-named and Ungoliant don't steal it.