The Lawrence Welk Show

Started by Kaesekopf, December 29, 2012, 07:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

I'm watching The Lawrence Welk Show for the first time, after hearing my grandma sing his praises for years.  It's actually pretty entertaining.  And very wholesome. 

I also learned today that Welk was a Catholic and daily communicant.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Gottmitunsalex

A great show. Super talented performers.

On that note:
5 Years ago I sang @ the Lawrence Welk Resort in San Diego.

"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Gottmitunsalex on December 29, 2012, 11:59:11 PM

On that note:

Very nice!  What was the occasion?

Of the episode I watched, they had a very talented couple do some type of dancing.  I was rather impressed.  The singing was also superb, and the band was nice.

And that accordion! 

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Gottmitunsalex

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 30, 2012, 12:00:17 AM
Quote from: Gottmitunsalex on December 29, 2012, 11:59:11 PM

On that note:

Very nice!  What was the occasion?

Of the episode I watched, they had a very talented couple do some type of dancing.  I was rather impressed.  The singing was also superb, and the band was nice.

And that accordion!

I was taking singing lessons in SD and they called up my trainer and asked him if he had a fill-in for one of the performers who could not make it to the resort. So he told them about me and I filled in.
The standards. no more lo less. It lasted 1 hour & 40min. With a 30 min break in between.
It was a luncheon they had for the retirees and while they were eating, I was singing.
They have, had? a great band. It was my only "public" performance.
Later I learned from my singing teacher that the Welk Resort no longer offers that style of music.
They are doing more pop oriented music now. So he told me.

"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

LouisIX

I swear that Lawrence Welk was the only thing ever on at my grandparents' home while I was growing up.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Gottmitunsalex on December 30, 2012, 12:09:10 AM
I was taking singing lessons in SD and they called up my trainer and asked him if he had a fill-in for one of the performers who could not make it to the resort. So he told them about me and I filled in.
The standards. no more lo less. It lasted 1 hour & 40min. With a 30 min break in between.
It was a luncheon they had for the retirees and while they were eating, I was singing.
They have, had? a great band. It was my only "public" performance.
Later I learned from my singing teacher that the Welk Resort no longer offers that style of music.
They are doing more pop oriented music now. So he told me.

It's really a bummer that they are doing more pop music now at that place.  I find that music a lot more edifying and entertaining than the garbage on the radio.