The Parish Hall > Arts and Leisure

Essential Literature

<< < (2/3) > >>

Maximilian:

--- Quote from: Bernadette on July 22, 2021, 03:41:05 PM ---
--- Quote from: Maximilian on July 22, 2021, 03:04:58 PM ---All the works by Tolstoy.

Fortunately, there aren't that many. He wasn't a prolific author cranking out a novel every year.

--- End quote ---

I can't get into Tolstoy. I've tried War and Peace numerous times, and each time I end up giving up earlier. :-\

--- End quote ---

Perhaps you can try the method used by a certain young lady of my acquaintance: Just read the "Peace" chapters (like a much better version of Jane Austen) and skip over the "War" chapters.

There's also "Anna Karenina" and his novellas like "The Death of Ivan Ilyich" and "Family Happiness."

Philip G.:

--- Quote from: Melkor on July 22, 2021, 01:48:22 PM ---Hmmm. LoTR, Silmarillion, Children of Hurin, and Lost Tales. Animal Farm and 1984 by George Orwell. Ravenís Mark series. Sherlock Holmes books. A few Chesterton books. And of course, the Catholic Red Pill.

--- End quote ---

I do like sherlock holmes.  I think westerns should certainly be in the bookshelf.  Louis Lamour is the well known western author.

Bernadette:
I love Sherlock Holmes, too. I have two versions of the complete works as audiobooks, and a beautiful hardcover edition.

Tennessean:
Gormenghast.

Ragnarok:

--- Quote from: Maximilian on July 22, 2021, 05:09:26 PM ---
--- Quote from: Bernadette on July 22, 2021, 03:41:05 PM ---
--- Quote from: Maximilian on July 22, 2021, 03:04:58 PM ---All the works by Tolstoy.

Fortunately, there aren't that many. He wasn't a prolific author cranking out a novel every year.

--- End quote ---

I can't get into Tolstoy. I've tried War and Peace numerous times, and each time I end up giving up earlier. :-\

--- End quote ---

Perhaps you can try the method used by a certain young lady of my acquaintance: Just read the "Peace" chapters (like a much better version of Jane Austen) and skip over the "War" chapters.

There's also "Anna Karenina" and his novellas like "The Death of Ivan Ilyich" and "Family Happiness."

--- End quote ---

Anna Karenina is one of the best books I've ever read; and while I agree with much of it, I still think his outlook on morality, materialism, and agrarianism are a bit naive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version