The Parish Hall > Arts and Leisure

Essential Literature

(1/3) > >>

Bernadette:
This came up on another forum, and I thought the topic was interesting enough to repost here. What works of literature do you consider essential to your library? Mine are Dickens' complete works, and some children's literature: The Secret Garden, Heidi, and E. Nesbit's Mouldiwarp Chronicles. Also Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. I have the Oxford Illustrated Dickens, and leather bound editions of all of the others, except the Mouldiwarp Chronicles, which was only available in hardcover. So what are your essential books?

Melkor:
Hmmm. LoTR, Silmarillion, Children of Hurin, and Lost Tales. Animal Farm and 1984 by George Orwell. Ravenís Mark series. Sherlock Holmes books. A few Chesterton books. And of course, the Catholic Red Pill.

Maximilian:
All the works by Tolstoy.

Fortunately, there aren't that many. He wasn't a prolific author cranking out a novel every year.

Bernadette:

--- Quote from: Maximilian on July 22, 2021, 03:04:58 PM ---All the works by Tolstoy.

Fortunately, there aren't that many. He wasn't a prolific author cranking out a novel every year.

--- End quote ---

I can't get into Tolstoy. I've tried War and Peace numerous times, and each time I end up giving up earlier. :-\

maryslittlegarden:

--- Quote from: Bernadette on July 22, 2021, 03:41:05 PM ---
--- Quote from: Maximilian on July 22, 2021, 03:04:58 PM ---All the works by Tolstoy.

--- End quote ---

I can't get into Tolstoy. I've tried War and Peace numerous times, and each time I end up giving up earlier. :-\

--- End quote ---

Sinclair Lewis does the same thing for me

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version