Author Topic: Essential Literature  (Read 751 times)

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Essential Literature
« on: July 22, 2021, 11:09:32 AM »
This came up on another forum, and I thought the topic was interesting enough to repost here. What works of literature do you consider essential to your library? Mine are Dickens' complete works, and some children's literature: The Secret Garden, Heidi, and E. Nesbit's Mouldiwarp Chronicles. Also Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. I have the Oxford Illustrated Dickens, and leather bound editions of all of the others, except the Mouldiwarp Chronicles, which was only available in hardcover. So what are your essential books?
"Make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is come to life again; he was lost, and is found."

The following users thanked this post: Christina_S, Melkor

Offline Melkor

• Wachtmeister
  • memento mori
Re: Essential Literature
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 01:48:22 PM »
Hmmm. LoTR, Silmarillion, Children of Hurin, and Lost Tales. Animal Farm and 1984 by George Orwell. Raven’s Mark series. Sherlock Holmes books. A few Chesterton books. And of course, the Catholic Red Pill.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." - G.K. Chesterton

"The people will believe what the media tells them they believe." - George Orwell

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, Christina_S, Optatus

Offline Maximilian

• Hauptmann
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 03:04:58 PM »
All the works by Tolstoy.

Fortunately, there aren't that many. He wasn't a prolific author cranking out a novel every year.

The following users thanked this post: queen.saints, Christe Eleison

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 03:41:05 PM »

Fortunately, there aren't that many. He wasn't a prolific author cranking out a novel every year.

I can't get into Tolstoy. I've tried War and Peace numerous times, and each time I end up giving up earlier. :-\
"Make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is come to life again; he was lost, and is found."

Offline maryslittlegarden

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 04:24:09 PM »

I can't get into Tolstoy. I've tried War and Peace numerous times, and each time I end up giving up earlier. :-\

Sinclair Lewis does the same thing for me
Bestow upon us, O Lord, we beseech Thee, the spirit to think and do always such things as are right; that we who cannot exist without Thee, may be able to live according to Thy will. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, Who lives and reigns with Thee in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God, forever and ever

Offline Maximilian

• Hauptmann
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 05:09:26 PM »

Perhaps you can try the method used by a certain young lady of my acquaintance: Just read the "Peace" chapters (like a much better version of Jane Austen) and skip over the "War" chapters.

There's also "Anna Karenina" and his novellas like "The Death of Ivan Ilyich" and "Family Happiness."

The following users thanked this post: Bernadette, queen.saints, Christe Eleison

Offline Philip G.

• Wachtmeister
  • Ordinary Cult
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 08:52:18 PM »
Hmmm. LoTR, Silmarillion, Children of Hurin, and Lost Tales. Animal Farm and 1984 by George Orwell. Raven’s Mark series. Sherlock Holmes books. A few Chesterton books. And of course, the Catholic Red Pill.

I do like sherlock holmes.  I think westerns should certainly be in the bookshelf.  Louis Lamour is the well known western author.
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

The following users thanked this post: Melkor

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 09:00:54 PM »
I love Sherlock Holmes, too. I have two versions of the complete works as audiobooks, and a beautiful hardcover edition.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Melkor

Offline Tennessean

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 09:32:36 AM »
Gormenghast.

Offline Ragnarok

• Korporal
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 12:34:19 PM »

Perhaps you can try the method used by a certain young lady of my acquaintance: Just read the "Peace" chapters (like a much better version of Jane Austen) and skip over the "War" chapters.

There's also "Anna Karenina" and his novellas like "The Death of Ivan Ilyich" and "Family Happiness."

Anna Karenina is one of the best books I've ever read; and while I agree with much of it, I still think his outlook on morality, materialism, and agrarianism are a bit naive.

Offline Ragnarok

• Korporal
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2021, 12:37:19 PM »
Three Books:

1. Milton's Paradise Lost (yes, I'm aware it was on the Index for it's Anglicanism, but it's a genius book nonetheless)
2. Tocqueville's Democracy in America
3. Dostoevsky's Brothers Karamazov

Offline Ragnarok

• Korporal
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2021, 12:38:15 PM »
And bonus: Huxley's Brave New World

The following users thanked this post: Christina_S

Offline Lynne

• Thankful to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2021, 12:40:25 PM »
Dante's Divine Comedy!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

The following users thanked this post: queen.saints, Christe Eleison, Melkor