The Parish Hall > Arts and Crafts

What Kind of Artwork Have You Tried?

(1/2) > >>

The Curt Jester:
In the spirit of Queen.saints thread about cooking (HAVE YOU...), here's one about being an artist. 

Have you tried art of any kind? 
What medium?
What did you make?
How successful? 
Have you ever sold anything you made?
If you were to try again, what would you use?

I'll post my answers in a different post to keep the question part open.

The Curt Jester:
Have you tried art of any kind?   Yes.  I am a musician, so that's art, but I'm actually referring to visual art, so scratch that.  However, I've tried quite a few other things, though nothing for any long period of time.
What medium? Paints (acrylic), sculpting (paper maché), Drawing (Pencil/Colored pencil), Origami, Wood Turning (I consider it artistic - it was also a disaster)
What did you make? Probably my best (not very good) would be colored pencil sketches.  They are at least recognizable, though hardly masterpieces.
How successful? Not very.  While I'm sure I could do well with study, I've never put a lot of effort into learning.  Dabbling is fun, but anything else is work.
Have you ever sold anything you made? Yes, surprisingly.  When I was about six or seven, I sculpted a snake out of paper maché and painted it.  Sold it at a craft/art show for a couple dollars.  I didn't put a protective coat on it, so I'm sure the bugs ate it within a couple years if not sooner.
If you were to try again, what would you use? I've been interested in trying oil paints, but who knows if I'll ever get around to it.

Optatus:
I don't call myself an artist since at best I do folk art of an amateur sort, but:

Have you tried art of any kind? Yes
What medium? Wood
What did you make? Carvings; started with caricature whittling (which I still love), then cottonwood bark carving, which is something like relief carving, and now chip carving is my current favourite.
How successful? I like some of my chip carvings, but I'm nowhere near the pros.
Have you ever sold anything you made? No, I doubt I'd ever feel comfortable trying to sell anything, but I given a few things as gifts.
If you were to try again, what would you use? I carve something pretty much every day, but I'd like to branch out one day into spoon and bowl carving, at least to try it. I would need hook knives, a carving axe, maybe even a lathe.

Melkor:
Have you tried art of any kind? I always tried to draw when I was younger. My hand was always too heavy, and my artistic sense is severely lacking.
What medium? Aside from sketches/doodling, nothing.
What did you make? Skull and blades (Jack Rackham's flag) for my room door. I also copied a British flag.
How successful? Looked like garbage but I was oh so proud.
Have you ever sold anything you made? No.
If you were to try again, what would you use? A template.

Sorry man, probably not the answers you were looking for. Lol

diaduit:

Have you tried art of any kind? I love making window displays for my boss and also Christmas decorations
What medium? props and for Christmas decorations, I love big leafy displays
What did you make?  a piece made of 3 intertwined large twigs and decorated it, even have an a miniature bunch of real lavender that still lasts years later.
How successful? For me its middle of the road but admired all the same and for my boss, she loves anyone else to do the windows except her.
Have you ever sold anything you made? nah
If you were to try again, what would you use? I want to re create Christmas of the eighties next year with loads of crepe paper and bell shaped paper ceiling deco.

I'm not an artist but I have a creative streak.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version