The Parish Hall > Arts and Leisure

Your favorite old movies

(1/5) > >>

Jacob:
What are some of your favorite old movies, old being movies made before you were born?  Why do you consider them among your favorites?  Who stars in them?

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)
This is a movie with an ensemble cast.  The three main actors play servicemen who are coming home to a small midwestern city now that WWII is over.  One of this is a banker who served as an NCO in the infantry, one of them is a former drug store worker who was a bombardier in the air force, and the third was a sailor who lost his hands when his ship went down.  The three of them have to adjust to postwar life and their families have to adjust to them.  Many Oscars were won.

Gaslight (1944)
With Ingrid Bergman and Charles Boyer.  Ingrid is a younger woman who meets an older man in Italy.  they fall in love, marry, and then settle in her family townhouse in London.  There, things start to happen that lead Ingrid to think that she is starting to lose her mind, much as her own mother did when she was a child.  Boyer and the servants watch.  This is a great period movie.

Insanis:
I have both Gaslights!

I am getting the 1931 and 1936 version of The Maltese Falcon (book published in 1929) soon and I recently watched the more famous film from 1941. I have some Film Noir on my list now.

I like some old Republic serials, particularly Commando Cody. Ray Harryhausen's work is something to behold.

But I think the best old movie is King Kong from 1933. It is a masterpiece.

Universal's The Invisible Man from 1933 is great. I have nostalgia from it too because I saw it when I was very young.

This is of course for Talkies. I don't think I have a favourite individual traditional moving picture.

The Curt Jester:
I particularly like The Gold Rush (1925, Charlie Chaplin).  Charlie is a prospector in Alaska.  He and his partner find themselves starving in a shack in the middle of a blizzard and having to contend with a criminal.

Brother Orchid (1940, Edward G. Robinson) is also one I enjoyed watching.  After an attempt on his life, a gangster boss goes into hiding by pretending to be a monk.

For something more recent, there's Never a Dull Moment (1968, Dick Van Dyke).  An actor is mistaken for a hired killer and taken into the employ of a gangster boss.

Jayne:
Casablanca 1942

Roman Holiday 1953

These have the common theme of putting duty above romance, an idea almost lost in our time.

The Court Jester 1955  This is a Danny Kaye comedy that somehow just really appeals to my sense of humour.  This is my favourite scene:

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ9f2rnjB84

Melkor:
The Clint Eastwood Man with no name trilogy. Also one of my favourites is the Magnificent Seven. Itís  hilarious to watch an up and coming Steve McQueen gain confidence and charisma, much to the chagrin of Yul Brynner.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version