The Supernatural

Started by Acolyte, May 30, 2021, 08:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy

Quote from: Insanis on May 31, 2021, 01:05:09 PM
Quote from: andy on May 31, 2021, 01:00:59 PM
Not even a first page is filled and the thread is already derailed.

I noticed a frequent use of Supernatural in recent FSSPX sermons (both my church and online from other districts) and was wondering what does it truly mean. What is the definiotion (from a reputable source of course)?

Supernatural refers to God's unmediated actions (ie, divine acts).

Preternatural refers to spiritual acts below God, and above the natural.

Natural refers to the things of this world.

Baptisms are supernatural (sanctifying grace is supernatural). Demonic possessions are preternatural. Mental illness is natural.

The secular term "paranormal" usually refers to what we'd call preternatural (if indeed not natural), although, most of the so-called paranormal stuff is completely natural.

I got everything but a source ... Are those your definitions?

Insanis

Quote from: andy on May 31, 2021, 02:25:33 PM

St. Thomas Aquinas.

They are pretty basic definitions though. I didn't look them up and copy the definitions.

I can, if you want. But then again, so could you.

andy

Quote from: Insanis on May 31, 2021, 04:25:35 PM
Quote from: andy on May 31, 2021, 02:25:33 PM

St. Thomas Aquinas.

They are pretty basic definitions though. I didn't look them up and copy the definitions.

I can, if you want. But then again, so could you.

It is not that I want but more for your's credibility. I tend to ignore posts which at least do not mention the name of the source.

Insanis

Quote from: andy on May 31, 2021, 04:50:18 PM
It is not that I want but more for your's credibility. I tend to ignore posts which at least do not mention the name of the source.

Thank you for not ignoring me.

Insanis

Quote from: james03 on May 31, 2021, 02:03:02 PM
There you go Acolyte.  I agree with Insanus that living a life of virtue is critical.  And he agrees that learning Apologetics does good.  So learn Apologetics and be ready for when you are in discussion with an atheist.

Everything is good by nature.

Inordinate study can be a vice, and do harm.

Apologetic studies be good, but it is not necessary and because it is good in itself does not mean it is good for every individual.

The general way to discern this is if the study increases devotion/virtue/understanding in the individual, or impedes it.

And the general good advice for the faith is to avoid getting into discussions with those who would pull us away from the faith.

So the default Catholic position would be to read only good books, and to not expose oneself to heresies and blasphemies needlessly.

Again, studying can be good, but it is not obligatory. One should learn what is good for oneself.