The Church Courtyard > The Sacred Sciences

Sacramental formula and imperfect pronunciation?

(1/3) > >>

Daniel:
How does this work? Suppose the minister says the correct words, but, for whatever reason, his pronunciation is way off. Like, suppose he mumbles, or stutters, or has a really thick accent, or has some sort of speech impediment, or even just has really bad pronunciation when it comes to ecclesiastical Latin (or whatever language he's using). Would the sacrament be valid, since he spoke the correct words... or would it be invalid, since the words spoken were not correct? (What if his pronunciation is so bad that the word he speaks ends up as a completely different word?)

Melkor:
The priests are elites who study Latin for 7+years. I think they know how to pronounce their phrases.

Daniel:

--- Quote from: Melkor on May 14, 2021, 07:13:04 PM ---The priests are elites who study Latin for 7+years. I think they know how to pronounce their phrases.

--- End quote ---

Well diocesan priests don't, but I don't want to sidetrack the discussion. Even granting that they have good pronunciation, what about the other stuff?

Mumbling - A priest could conceivably do this. It would be a sacrilege (treating the sacrament without due reverence), but I'm sure it's not unheard of.

Stuttering and other speech impediments - This is probably rare since the seminaries screen their candidates and there aren't likely to be many newly-ordained priests who have speech impediements. Neverthless, I'm sure it has probably happened at some point in the Church's history. Or there might be cases where the priest--after he was ordained--sustained some sort of an injury to the mouth or throat. (Could even be temporary. Suppose the priest has a cold so his voice is nasally. Or he has a sore throat, and his voice is hoarse. Or he lost his voice and can barely talk. These sorts of things would alter his pronunciations.)

Accent - Let's face it, nobody is a native speaker of ecclesiastical Latin. I believe that Italians come pretty close with regard to pronunciation, but a lot of non-Italian priests probably have accents of varying degree and I'd imagine some could be very thick.

GiftOfGod:
Holy crap, Daniel. Your scruples are terminal if you are nitpicking pronunciation. I would say "seek help" but we had an entire thread on that (which happened to just be locked, by the way).

andy:

--- Quote from: GiftOfGod on May 14, 2021, 11:23:45 PM ---Holy crap, Daniel. Your scruples are terminal if you are nitpicking pronunciation. I would say "seek help" but we had an entire thread on that (which happened to just be locked, by the way).

--- End quote ---

How is your dating?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version