The Church Courtyard > Traditional Catholic Discussion

How can an American Catholic Take the Oath of Allegiance?

(1/11) > >>

St. Columba:
I am thinking of moving to the US (I had a job interview this past week), but, if I ever wanted to become a citizen, I need to take the Oath of Allegiance;

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen...."

Apparently, there are ways to get around the promise to bear arms and fight for the nation, but there seems to be no remedy to get around th first part of the oath, in bold above....

The problem is that I am a Catholic, and I do have a prior allegiance to the Pope (who is a potentate), who is a sovereign of a foreign state, and has my (prior) devotion and obedience (which I think extends beyond merely spiritual/moral matters).  The Pope could, I think, in theory, call for a crusade against the allies of the United States, or even against the US itself.

The Oath also ends with, "and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

Mental reservations ain't a way out either.  It seems that a Catholic must oath the words as they plainly mean.

Does anyone see a way out of this?  I love the USA, but I am a Catholic first.

Thanks for any help!

dellery:

Michael Wilson:
According to the official I.N.S. Website the oath in  its present form has been around since 1929; which means that plenty of Catholics have taken the oath since then, and I would presume with the permission of the Church. Unless you can find something that interprets the Oath in a manner that is contrary to the Catholic faith, I think it is safe to take it.

Michael Wilson:

--- Quote from: dellery on April 25, 2021, 12:55:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: St. Columba on April 25, 2021, 12:30:46 PM ---Apparently, there are ways to get around the promise to bear arms and fight for the nation, but there seems to be no remedy to get around th first part of the oath, in bold above....

--- End quote ---

So you want to enjoy our way of life but don't want to fight for it?

Please, do not come here. We do not need any more freeloaders. Besides, Mexicans join the Marine Corp in droves and will fight alongside us, and they're Catholic. So we've already got a better replacement.

--- End quote ---
Its not about fighting, he know one can "opt out" of that part, its the renouncing of any allegiance to a foreign Potentate i.e. The Pope that he is concerned about.

St. Columba:

--- Quote from: dellery on April 25, 2021, 12:55:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: St. Columba on April 25, 2021, 12:30:46 PM ---Apparently, there are ways to get around the promise to bear arms and fight for the nation, but there seems to be no remedy to get around th first part of the oath, in bold above....

--- End quote ---

So you want to enjoy our way of life but don't want to fight for it?

Please, do not come here. We do not need any more freeloaders. Besides, Mexicans join the Marine Corp in droves and will fight alongside us, and they're Catholic. So we've already got a better replacement.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Dellery, but what I mean is that modifications are possible (please see here: https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-j-chapter-3) for the military service portion, but not, seemingly, for the renounciation of allegiance to a foreign power.

My concern is simply being able to say the Oath without incurring sin by lying under oath.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version