The Church Courtyard > The Sacred Sciences

Paradox of the Stone

(1/2) > >>

Philip G.:
"Could God create a stone so heavy that even He could not lift it?"

Yes, it is called earth.  It doesn't move.

james03:
That's a good one.

Daniel:
Is discussion on geocentrism still banned? lol

I never liked this paradox, as it always seems to come across to me as a loaded question, or a nonsensical question. Of course God can't create a rock that is too heavy for Him to move. Does anybody in philosophy actually take this question seriously? It's not much of a paradox, nor is it a sound refutation of the existence of an omnipotent God.

Jayne:

--- Quote from: Daniel on April 21, 2021, 04:48:27 PM ---Is discussion on geocentrism still banned? lol

I never liked this paradox, as it always seems to come across to me as a loaded question, or a nonsensical question. Of course God can't create a rock that is too heavy for Him to move. Does anybody in philosophy actually take this question seriously? It's not much of a paradox, nor is it a sound refutation of the existence of an omnipotent God.

--- End quote ---

Nobody in philosophy takes it seriously.  It is used as an example of a nonsensical question. 

Philip G.:

--- Quote from: Daniel on April 21, 2021, 04:48:27 PM ---Is discussion on geocentrism still banned? lol

--- End quote ---

I was thinking about putting it in coffee and donuts.  But I don't think it is entirely a laughing matter.  That paradox likely came onto the scene around the same time that the church began to tolerate/embrace heliocentrism.  Truth is stranger than fiction.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version