Author Topic: A Beautiful Monograph about Charles Columbe and The Occultist Traddies  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: A Beautiful Monograph about Charles Columbe and The Occultist Traddies
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2021, 03:38:37 PM »
That most recent video that Santantonio posted has the priest suggesting that Coulombe talk to a priest like Father Ripperger.  You know, as if the priest is saying that Coulombe may need to be exercised.  I can see why the priest would say that seeing Coulombe has been reading tarot cards since at least 2004.  In the previous video that Santantonio posted Coulombe brags that he reads tarot cards better than anyone that he knows, but he doesn't believe in the tarot cards.  Still ...

I did not take that as implying that Coulombe needs to be exorcised, but rather that he was apparently not taking the occult seriously enough.  It is not something to play at, pretend, or flirt with.  Fr. Ripperger has experience of confronting the forces of evil which puts him in a good position to understand such things.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

The following users thanked this post: TandJ

Offline Non Nobis

• Why are you fearful?
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2021, 04:50:47 PM »
I'm not entirely comfortable with Fr. Ripperger anymore but let's say this: Suppose your daughter marries a man who says he loves her but constantly criticizes her in public and private. He says she's stupid, tacky, crazy and the biggest sinner of them all and then he says he loves her again. I'd say this guy is a narcissist or he's gaslighting his wife for some financial gain.  I'll ask again. Why to traditional people put up with leaders who seem to spend so much time mocking us? Isn't it time to stop acting like an abused wife?

It is pretty easy to frame even necessary, constructive criticism as abusive.  I would not want my daughter to marry man who always told her she was perfect and did nothing to help to become a better person.

I am interested in having leaders who love Catholic tradition and are willing to speak up about the ways that trads fall short of that.  Trads, as a whole and as individuals, have some pretty serious flaws that we ought to be called out on.  A leader who never did that would be a failure.

We are meant to respect, listen to, and obey Catholic priests. But they are human too and not only may sin but may have personality flaws that could hurt us. E.g. a priest's natural love of criticizing could increase scrupulousity even when what he says is true and rightly intended. And maybe not everything he says is true.

"Abuse could be framed as constructive criticism by the abuser" even if it is more frequently  the other way around,  especially in the case of a priest criticizing a sinner.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

The following users thanked this post: Larry, Blue Violet

Offline Santantonio

• Korporal
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2021, 06:19:21 PM »
Can somebody tell me, who is Charles Coulombe? I never heard of him before, but now I see his name popping up in this thread as well as in the scrupulosity thread. (If it's explained in the article, I apologize. So far I have only read the first part, and his name popped up there too.)
He is a Catholic layman that has written articles in various Traditionalist Catholic publications from time to time; to be honest, I have never had the patience to read any of them, so I cannot tell you anything else about the man, except that he has been around for a long time.

Charles is a Papal Knight of the Order of St. Sylvester, and KoC, so knighted by Pope John Paul II. It would be a shame if Charles cannot talk about supernatural things freely anymore. I am not concerned about this. I've listened to him for well over 20 years now. Started with the old talks with Biersach. Charles is a good man and he is doing the right thing. Pray for Charles. I'm not one to be put off by his writings, like just because he wrote a book about haunted places or knows things about the occult (somewhat), having been raised in a very Catholic home, but also in Hollywood in the 1960s, (his parents rented a sublet apartment from the Great Criswell). Charles is a monarchist and about 2 years ago, left L.A. to live in Vienna and study for his Masters in Theology. Very few people I've ever seen or heard of can rap like Charles can rap. He is a very impressive scholar and person.

Here's another example, from 2007. Charles talking about haunted places (to a secular audience)
http://www.ghostvillage.com/resources/2007/gc_05092007.shtml
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 06:31:30 PM by Santantonio »

The following users thanked this post: Jayne, Larry, Maximilian, Michael Wilson, TandJ, Blue Violet

Offline Nazianzen

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2021, 11:17:33 AM »
Elisabeth,
thank you for posting that article; it is very helpful and informative; I recommend that everyone on this forum should read it.

Yup, about half way through the third part, and WOW.

The following users thanked this post: Michael Wilson, Elizabeth.2

Offline DigitalLogos

• Slave to the Sacred Heart
  • Vizekorporal
    • @DigitalLogos - Minds
  • Religion: Roman Catholicism
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2021, 09:35:59 PM »
This was an outstanding article, I very much thank you for sharing it. It actually contextualized some things I wasn't even aware of, even after coming from Perennial Traditionalism and vainly delving into some occult works over the past year. What is most startling is that distinction the author noted between the "Traditionalism" which men like Coulombe and Buck adhere to, in line with people like Huxley, Evola and Guenon; and Catholic traditionalism, which are two very different things. Yet, I've been slowly noticing the occult leanings of a lot of trads, with some religious indifferentism creeping in thanks to this Perennialism.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4

The following users thanked this post: Michael Wilson

Offline Michael Wilson

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2021, 09:46:26 PM »
I've been reading about this sort of thing in Trad publications from Europe i.e. The infiltration of the Trad movement by what is called over there the "New Right"; but I had no idea that it was also an ongoing thing over here. Evola and Guenon are the big names in this movement, so if you read an article praising either one, that is a good warning sign that its not Catholic.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

The following users thanked this post: DigitalLogos

Offline DigitalLogos

• Slave to the Sacred Heart
  • Vizekorporal
    • @DigitalLogos - Minds
  • Religion: Roman Catholicism
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2021, 11:24:19 PM »
I've been reading about this sort of thing in Trad publications from Europe i.e. The infiltration of the Trad movement by what is called over there the "New Right"; but I had no idea that it was also an ongoing thing over here. Evola and Guenon are the big names in this movement, so if you read an article praising either one, that is a good warning sign that its not Catholic.

I recall trying to go back and read some of Guenon's writings about 6 months ago and being taken aback at just how much he pushed syncretism and indifferentism, as well as being vaguely anti-Catholic. I know it went a long way to get me to look at the Church, but I can't understand how someone already in the Church can draw anything out of it without damaging their faith.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4

The following users thanked this post: Michael Wilson

Offline Elizabeth.2

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2021, 11:37:26 PM »
This was an outstanding article,

A God-send!  Welcome to this forum.