The Parish Hall > Family Life

Separate property in marriage?

(1/38) > >>

GiftOfGod:
I have not had success in the area of courting. I believe it is due to the fact that I own a house and have a few hundred thousand in equity in it and I insist on it staying "sole and separate property" if we get married. The relationship always goes sour shortly after I tell the women my intentions regarding that. They presume that it will become theirs (community property) but I want to keep it separate. This has happened to 3 women so far and I don't know what to do. I thought about letting women assume that it would become community property until we get married but that wouldn't be honest.

Any advice?

christulsa:
Maybe don’t mention it at all unless she asks.  And not put it in terms of a “prenup” agreement.  You bought the house before getting married, so the original equity would only be yours, legally.   She shouldn’t have a problem with that.  Whatever more equity goes into the house after the marriage, she legally shares 50/50 if in the worst case she isn’t faithful to you and practically ends the marriage.  That’s my take, but have you asked for advise about this from a Trad priest, and a lawyer?  Also, if you only date trad or conservative Catholic women, there was much less of a concern it ends and she takes you for all you’re worth (though there are plenty of difficult Trad marriages).   Marriage is never a sure bet, there’s always a significant risk it goes south, even if all seems right.   I’d go on Catholic Match, Traditional Catholic Singles, or SSPX Singles if you aren’t already. 

GiftOfGod:
I want to keep my house as a rental and in my name so that the future income and appreciation is mine. My future wife and I will buy another house together for us to live in. "Sole and separate property" is an old concept from Spain and is does not go against Catholicism, as prenuptial agreements do. 

Geremia:
Sounds like you're weeding out gold-diggers. Good job. Keep looking. St. Raphael will provide. ☺
I read a pre-Vatican II marriage prep book that said to avoid materialistic women like the plague.

Look at St. John Chrysostom's description of an idea/attractive wife (from his On Virginity):
--- Quote ---…it is not by beautifying herself, or by living a life of luxury, or by demanding from her husband money, or by being extravagant and lavish that she will be able to win him over. When she removes herself from all present concerns and imprints upon herself the apostolic way of life, when she displays great modesty, decorum, disdain for money and forbearance, then will she be able to capture him. When she says: "If we have food and clothing we have all that we need," [l Tim 6:8] when she practices this philosophy in her actions and, laughing at physical death, calls this life nothing, when she considers along with the prophet every glory of this life to be as the flower of the field, [Isa. 40:6] then she will capture him.
--- End quote ---

Also, all property is marriage should be common.

diaduit:

--- Quote from: GiftOfGod on November 10, 2020, 04:08:42 PM ---I want to keep my house as a rental and in my name so that the future income and appreciation is mine. My future wife and I will buy another house together for us to live in. "Sole and separate property" is an old concept from Spain and is does not go against Catholicism, as prenuptial agreements do.

--- End quote ---

I wouldn't want you to marry my daughter.

I understand you being protective of your property/assets if you were dating secular women but really if you are looking for a trad wife then as much as she is giving herself to you and your future children you need to share yourself and your assets with her.  You should be king and she should be queen of the family castle.  Not sharing your castle with her is reducing her to a whore and a hired help who fires out your children and does the endless chores involved.  Please change your attitude, we're not all bad.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version