Doctrine versus Dogma

Started by Penelope, January 09, 2013, 09:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penelope

Lirael has tried to explain this one to me before, but I'm still kind of fuzzy on the distinction between the terms 'doctrine' and 'dogma.' Can somebody clarify for me? Thanks.  :)

Lirael

Hah this is funny because although I did explain it to you one time, I now forget the distinction as well. I think what I read to you was off of NewAdvent or from the Catechism...
Why art thou sad, o my soul? And why dost thou disquiet me?

Penelope

Apparently no one else knows, either...

Anyone? Anyone at all? :shrug:

Mithrandylan

Doctrine refers to teaching.  In a certain sense, anytime a clergy teaches they are teaching doctrine-- though it may be false doctrine.  Often you might hear someone (another Catholic) refer to Church doctrine on "x."  What they mean is "what the church teaches about x."  Whatever "x" is, it could refer to birth control, limbo, non-Catholics, predestination, whatever.  The doctrine of "x" is "what the Church teaches" about "x."

Doctrine is binding on different levels, obviously.  Dogma, on the other hand, is a doctrine that must be beleived by anyone who wants to call himself a Catholic.  Whether it's the dogma of EENS, the Assumption, the Trinity, etc.  All dogmas are doctrine, but not all doctrine are dogmas. 

Sometimes you may see the words used in a seemingly interchangeable way.  This can cause confusion. 

Hope that helps!
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

Penelope

Indeed, yes. Thank you. I wonder what kind of nemonic I can create to remember this. I know it seems like a really obvious fact, but I continually confuse the terms and don't want to look like an idiot when I'm trying to answer my friends' and co-workers' questions about the Faith.

Mithrandylan

Well, by the time I came up with this I had just ended up remembering them anyways.  If you think of "dog"ma, and think of a good dog being fiercely loyal and unflinchingly at his master's side, then you might be able to remember that dogma is that belief which in order to be good Catholics, we must never shy away from dogma, and that it demands and deserves our consent and faith. 
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

Penelope

Quote from: Mithrandylan on January 11, 2013, 10:22:20 PM
Well, by the time I came up with this I had just ended up remembering them anyways.  If you think of "dog"ma, and think of a good dog being fiercely loyal and unflinchingly at his master's side, then you might be able to remember that dogma is that belief which in order to be good Catholics, we must never shy away from dogma, and that it demands and deserves our consent and faith.

Ah, I like it. This may just work, and the best part is that I didn't even have to come up with it myself!

Vetus Ordo

Doctrine simply means teaching or the sum of teachings of the Church which can include "non-binding" or "non-infallible" items.

Dogma is a revealed truth of God which cannot be denied under pain of heresy.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

BierKaiser

So dogma is the unchangeable truth of the Church.  But doctrine is a teaching of the Church or interpretation of dogma, and therefor could be misunderstood or false?