Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heinrich

The Outpost. Dude war movie. Lots of barracks language. Pretty good choreography of fights.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Stu Cool

Quote from: Heinrich on July 29, 2020, 06:49:29 AM
The Outpost. Dude war movie. Lots of barracks language. Pretty good choreography of fights.

Was it good?  I read the book about that and was thinking of watching the movie but the rental price is a little high.

Heinrich

Quote from: Stu Cool on July 29, 2020, 07:30:05 AM

Was it good?  I read the book about that and was thinking of watching the movie but the rental price is a little high.

Yeah. Good war movie.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

abc123

Enjoyed it but was hoping for more large scale battle scenes. I thought the camera work was well done though.

Bernadette

Spirited Away. It was fantastic.
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

Kent

Quote from: Bernadette on July 31, 2020, 06:15:55 PM
Wolf Children.

Any good? An autistic family member gave me a copy, but I don't like anime so I've never watched it. But every once in awhile I see it on my shelf and feel bad for never having watched it.
I do profess to be no less than I seem, to serve him truly
that will put me in trust, to love him that is honest, to
converse with him that is wise and says little, to fear
judgment, to fight when I cannot choose, and to eat no fish.

Bernadette

Quote from: Kent on August 01, 2020, 07:13:12 AM
Quote from: Bernadette on July 31, 2020, 06:15:55 PM
Wolf Children.

Any good? An autistic family member gave me a copy, but I don't like anime so I've never watched it. But every once in awhile I see it on my shelf and feel bad for never having watched it.

I thought it was excellent. I really enjoyed the depictions of nature.
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

Ad Astra with Brad Pitt. Meh.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

Michael Clayton with George Clooney. Very good.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Greg

Quote from: Stu Cool on July 29, 2020, 07:30:05 AM

It is here for free.

https://afdah.info/watch-movies/68102-the-outpost-2020/
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

Who's Left Behind Another movie about Japan during the war. I'd never heard of this one. Just stumbled upon it on YouTube.
My Lord and my God.

The Theosist

Quote from: Pon de Replay on July 20, 2020, 11:33:49 AM
The Ladykillers (1955), another great Ealing Studios comedy.  I had added these to my Netflix queue back in 2017 when Peter Hitchens included a list of his favorite movies in a blog post against Dunkirk.  He has good taste in film, which was already evident in that he hated Dunkirk (2017) and liked Ida (2013).  Two of my own favorites, Blader Runner and Groundhog Day, also made his cut.  And I firmly agree with him that cinema has been in decline since the 1990s.

That was disappointing. He claims that something is culturally amiss and wrong with people for celebrating Nolan's film. But where does be establish this? He tells us only something of what he expects out of a war flick and moans about how it left him feeling ill or some such. For my part, apart from the visual feast, the feeling of being thrown into an experience, the feeling of the proverbial roller coaster, how Nolan manages to evoke mood through his medium, of a kind of demonic dread, in bringing the droning, consuming, mechanical beast of 20th century warfare to life, blew me away. Yes, screaming Stukas, creaking metal ships and cold, watery darkness did it for me. It's not often that I see people clap to standing ovations in cinemas, but it's happened twice to me with a Nolan movie. Enjoy it or not, to his taste or not, accepting of its like as a form of art or not, that he cannot even recognise that the film is the work of a consummate master of his craft or draw attention to virtuosic aspects, is pathetic. It's as pathetic as the image of an old man cowering in his seat over a sensory barrage. He may as well have told us he enjoys Vivaldi but stumbled out of Wagner wondering into what dark depths society was descending.