Started by red solo cup, August 23, 2020, 05:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

August 23rd, 1305

Wallace is martyred.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Michael Wilson

"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Heinrich

Quote from: Michael Wilson on August 23, 2020, 11:12:33 AM
Auch!

Me, also too!

Wasn't Wallace kinda a punk? Edward was a great king. Brought back anglo saxon traditions and revamped the legal code(made it fairer). He was a champion of the peasantry, and kept the Church in its esteemed place. Open to correction. Going on memory after I read some years ago that Braveheart's history was foxtrot.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

red solo cup

Edward was a great king but they didn't call him Hammer of the Scots for nothing.

Heinrich

Quote from: red solo cup on August 23, 2020, 12:46:38 PM
Edward was a great king but they didn't call him Hammer of the Scots for nothing.

But why are the Scots portrayed as the innocents?
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

red solo cup

Quote from: Heinrich on August 23, 2020, 01:38:13 PM

Human nature?

Heinrich

Furthermore, was Wallace executed as a defender of the Faith? Martyr?

red solo cup

Most Scots consider him a martyr.

mikemac

How did we get to the point of recognizing Edward I as a great king?
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Heinrich

Quote from: mikemac on August 24, 2020, 02:04:26 PM

I think it was me (going by memory). Please look above. If was indeed rebelling against injustice, that's fine. He's the man. However, if he was a shrewd usurper, seeking personal power and pelf, then he needs to be judged as such.

mikemac

Quote from: Heinrich on August 24, 2020, 02:59:43 PM

I think it was me (going by memory). Please look above. If was indeed rebelling against injustice, that's fine. He's the man. However, if he was a shrewd usurper, seeking personal power and pelf, then he needs to be judged as such.

Maybe you are getting Edward I confused with Edward the Confessor?  Edward I won the Second Barons' War, he conquered and colonized Wales, he expelled all the Jews from England and he attempted but failed to conquer Scotland.  I suppose I could see why some Englishmen would call Edward I a great king.  But I can't see why anyone else would though.
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

Source

Heinrich

Quote from: mikemac on August 24, 2020, 10:56:26 PM

Maybe you are getting Edward I confused with Edward the Confessor?  Edward I won the Second Barons' War, he conquered and colonized Wales, he expelled all the Jews from England and he attempted but failed to conquer Scotland.  I suppose I could see why some Englishmen would call Edward I a great king.  But I can't see why anyone else would though.

No. St. Edward is my Confirmation saint. Edward 1 is as you said.

mikemac

Quote from: Heinrich on August 25, 2020, 09:22:55 AM
Quote from: mikemac on August 24, 2020, 10:56:26 PM

No. St. Edward is my Confirmation saint. Edward 1 is as you said.

There are actually two St. Edwards that are recognized by the Catholic Church, Edward the Martyr (962 – 978) and Edward the Confessor (1003 – 1066).

Edward the Confessor was among the last Anglo-Saxon kings of England.  Edward I (1239 – 1307) was the first son of King Henry III and Eleanor of Provence.  Edward is an Anglo-Saxon name, and was not commonly given among the aristocracy of England after the Norman conquest, but Henry was devoted to the veneration of Edward the Confessor, and decided to name his firstborn son after the saint.

Source

nmoerbeek

Ed

Scotland was not the provoker of the war.  Edward started a war with Scotland because the Scottish had created the Auld Alliance with France. So King Edward invaded them in 1296  and forced the King of Scotland to Abdicate, Wallace showed up on the scene in 1297 after most of the Scottish nobility had given homage to the King of England while they were prisoners of war after he had defeated them.

It is true that while Wallace was fighting the war still, many of the nobles came to terms with the King of England, and Wallace along with Andrew Morray still fought on, and then Wallace proceeded to beat the English in multiple battles.

"Let me, however, beg of Your Beatitude...
not to think so much of what I have written, as of my good and kind intentions. Please look for the truths of which I speak rather than for beauty of expression. Where I do not come up to your expectations, pardon me, and put my shortcomings down, please, to lack of time and stress of business." St. Bonaventure, From the Preface of Holiness of Life.

Apostolate:
http://www.alleluiaaudiobooks.com/
Contributor:
http://unamsanctamcatholicam.blogspot.com/
Lay Association:
http://www.militiatempli.net/

mikemac

Quote from: nmoerbeek on August 25, 2020, 01:44:43 PM
Ed

Scotland was not the provoker of the war.  Edward started a war with Scotland because the Scottish had created the Auld Alliance with France. So King Edward invaded them in 1296  and forced the King of Scotland to Abdicate, Wallace showed up on the scene in 1297 after most of the Scottish nobility had given homage to the King of England while they were prisoners of war after he had defeated them.

It is true that while Wallace was fighting the war still, many of the nobles came to terms with the King of England, and Wallace along with Andrew Morray still fought on, and then Wallace proceeded to beat the English in multiple battles.

Yes, Braveheart is not historically correct on some accounts, but it does get a lot correct.  For instance the nobles were Normans that were invited to Scotland by King David I (reigned 1124–1153) to subdue particularly the Kingdom of Moray which held a better claimant to David's throne, the Meic Uilleim (MacWilliams).  This period in Scottish history was called the Davidian Revolution.  Note in Braveheart, originally even Bruce who was a Norman noble, also supported Edward I of England. 

Source