Separate property in marriage?

Started by GiftOfGod, November 10, 2020, 01:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

christulsa

Quote from: GiftOfGod on December 13, 2020, 04:34:08 PM
Quote from: christulsa on December 13, 2020, 04:17:54 PM
4.  From thread to thread?  There's THIS thread, and another you started like a Troll to complain about my comment questioning your "Going Dutch" policy.

Please provide a link to the thread that you claim I started. I won't hold my breath because you never back up your claims with any source.

Look up there in the top right hand corner, under search, and type in "going dutch."   For your source, among others.

Jayne

Quote from: christulsa on December 13, 2020, 04:34:51 PM
I've had to read your posts for 10 phucking years, Jane, literally THOUSANDS of irrationally, personal arguments directed at Greg specifically.  Take responsibility for yourself.  I want you to ignore me, but each time you respond to me as you are, like a hypocritical mother hen, I will shut you down.

There is no question that I disagreed with Greg a lot.  He took many positions that I believed to be against Catholic teaching and I said so.  But very little of what I wrote could reasonably be characterized as irrational or personal.

Your posts would be greatly improved if you could learn to distinguish between rational discussion of ideas and personal attacks.  This might allow you to avoid making the latter so often.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Jayne

Quote from: christulsa on December 13, 2020, 04:40:52 PM
4.  From thread to thread?  There's THIS thread, and another you started like a Troll to complain about my comment questioning your "Going Dutch" policy.

Please provide a link to the thread that you claim I started. I won't hold my breath because you never back up your claims with any source.

Look up there in the top right hand corner, under search, and type in "going dutch."   For your source, among others.

There is a thread called "going Dutch"  https://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=24769.0

The OP does not contain even a hint of complaint.  Nor was there anything suggestive of trolling.

The subject of "going Dutch" had come up in another thread and to avoid having it become derailed, GoG started a new thread for this subject.  This is a practice that leads to more orderly discussions and is practically the opposite of trolling.

christulsa

Quote from: Jayne on December 13, 2020, 04:45:19 PM
Quote from: christulsa on December 13, 2020, 04:34:51 PM
I've had to read your posts for 10 phucking years, Jane, literally THOUSANDS of irrationally, personal arguments directed at Greg specifically.  Take responsibility for yourself.  I want you to ignore me, but each time you respond to me as you are, like a hypocritical mother hen, I will shut you down.

There is no question that I disagreed with Greg a lot.  He took many positions that I believed to be against Catholic teaching and I said so.  But very little of what I wrote could reasonably be characterized as irrational or personal.

Your posts would be greatly improved if you could learn to distinguish between rational discussion of ideas and personal attacks.  This might allow you to avoid making the latter so often.

1.  Not according to multiple fora.  For over a decade.  Commented on, post by post, actually by thousands of people over that span.  You've worked hard to earn the reputation.  And it is deserved. 

2.  There is nothing rational, or not personal, about your posts in this thread, or most posts replying to me.  You are obsessed.

Jayne

Quote from: christulsa on December 13, 2020, 04:57:18 PM
1.  Not according to multiple fora.  For over a decade.  Commented on, post by post, actually by thousands of people over that span.  You've worked hard to earn the reputation.  And it is deserved. 

While Greg has his defenders, many other people have commented to affirm the legitimacy of my criticisms of Greg's ideas.  There is no forum with a universal position of Greg is right and Jayne attacks him for no reason.

My forum reputation is rather good.  Literally (the real literally) thousands of people have thanked my posts.  Over on CI, where they track both positive and negative scores, my positive score is around double.  (And a significant proportion of the down votes come from Flat earthers who object to me saying that the earth is a sphere.)

christulsa

Quote from: Jayne on December 13, 2020, 04:51:56 PM
Quote from: christulsa on December 13, 2020, 04:40:52 PM

There is a thread called "going Dutch"  https://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=24769.0

The OP does not contain even a hint of complaint.  Nor was there anything suggestive of trolling.

Clever.  That quote in the OP was from me, christulsa, Jane.  He was starting an entire thread just to question my singular criticism, in his own thread he that he started, that his own "going dutch" policy was another red flag.  In other threads he cried fowl just over my comment.  While bashing every other member.  He says he goes on 5-10 dates with one woman, going on average 2 dates a week for 2 years straight.  That's a lot of women.  After a few dates, a traditional Catholic man should at the very least start paying for some dinners.  But it doesn't matter, you're just operating under the idea of "an enemy of my enemy is my friend." 

Angela

christulsa, I agree with you here; I think this GiftofGod is young and inexperienced in the field of women and how to treat them; let's specifically say Traditional Catholics. But worse still is the insulting manner he adopts when he answers to those who have been there, done that, and can speak from experience. I don't think he's worth getting into an argument with, as nothing you're saying is even getting through.

Jayne

Quote from: christulsa on December 13, 2020, 05:14:09 PM
Clever.  That quote in the OP was from me, christulsa, Jane.  He was starting an entire thread just to question my singular criticism, in his own thread he that he started, that his own "going dutch" policy was another red flag.  In other threads he cried fowl just over my comment.  While bashing every other member.  He says he goes on 5-10 dates with one woman, going on average 2 dates a week for 2 years straight.  That's a lot of women.  After a few dates, a traditional Catholic man should at the very least start paying for some dinners.  But it doesn't matter, you're just operating under the idea of "an enemy of my enemy is my friend."

It is common when starting a new thread based on a topic that was threatening to derail another to quote something from the original thread.  GoG said nothing negative about the quote.  It was merely there to introduce the topic.  There is no justification for you seeing this as some sort of attack on you.

Even in the small proportion of your posts that I have read, I have seen you direct extremely nasty personal comments at GOG, with repeated slurs on his mental health.  GoG does not seem the sort of person to let your treatment of him slide, but it is understandable retaliation.  You are clearly the aggressor.

You are not simply disagreeing with his positions.  You are attacking his personality, making up bad motives for his actions, and forming needlessly negative interpretations of his words.  And now you are making up a motive for me so you can dismiss what I am saying.  But my claims are clearly true.

christulsa

Quote from: Angela on December 13, 2020, 05:31:12 PM
christulsa, I agree with you here; I think this GiftofGod is young and inexperienced in the field of women and how to treat them; let's specifically say Traditional Catholics. But worse still is the insulting manner he adopts when he answers to those who have been there, done that, and can speak from experience. I don't think he's worth getting into an argument with, as nothing you're saying is even getting through.

Thanks, I agree with each of your points. 

GiftOfGod

My insulting manner to you was due to your insulting manner to me.

Quote from: Angela on December 12, 2020, 07:14:42 PM
I, as well as my husband, would advise our daughter against marrying such a man,  I'm sorry. This is very telling of the kind of marriage she'd have. I'm not surprised you're having troubles finding a wife.

If you don't think that is insulting, then that's because you are a woman. Any man knows that if he said that to another man in person, he'd get a fist to the face.
Quote from: Maximilian on December 30, 2021, 11:15:48 AM
Quote from: Goldfinch on December 30, 2021, 10:36:10 AM
Quote from: Innocent Smith on December 30, 2021, 10:25:55 AM
If attending Mass, the ordinary form as celebrated everyday around the world be sinful, then the Church no longer exists. Period.
Rather, if the NOM were the lex credendi of the Church, then the Church would no longer exist. However, the true mass and the true sacraments still exist and will hold the candle of faith until Our Lord steps in to restore His Bride to her glory.
We could compare ourselves to the Catholics in England at the time of the Reformation. Was it sinful for them to attend Cranmer's service?
We have to remind ourselves that all the machinery of the "Church" continued in place. They had priests, bishops, churches, cathedrals. But all of them were using the new "Book of Common Prayer" instead of the Catholic Mass. Ordinary lay people could see with their own eyes an enormous entity that called itself the "Church," but did the true Church still exist in that situation? Meanwhile, in small hiding places in certain homes were a handful of true priests offering the true Mass at the risk of imprisonment, torture and death.

Jayne

Quote from: GiftOfGod on December 13, 2020, 05:36:52 PM
I, as well as my husband, would advise our daughter against marrying such a man,  I'm sorry. This is very telling of the kind of marriage she'd have. I'm not surprised you're having troubles finding a wife.

If you don't think that is insulting, then that's because you are a woman. Any man knows that if he said that to another man in person, he'd get a fist to the face.

Well, I am a woman and I understood how insulting it was.  In fact, it was her post that I primarily had in mind when I mentioned that there had been "unkind comments".

christulsa

Quote from: Jayne on December 13, 2020, 05:33:02 PM
Quote from: christulsa on December 13, 2020, 05:14:09 PM

It is common when starting a new thread based on a topic that was threatening to derail another to quote something from the original thread.  GoG said nothing negative about the quote.  It was merely there to introduce the topic.  There is no justification for you seeing this as some sort of attack on you.

Even in the small proportion of your posts that I have read, I have seen you direct extremely nasty personal comments at GOG, with repeated slurs on his mental health.  GoG does not seem the sort of person to let your treatment of him slide, but it is understandable retaliation.  You are clearly the aggressor.

You are not simply disagreeing with his positions.  You are attacking his personality, making up bad motives for his actions, and forming needlessly negative interpretations of his words.  And now you are making up a motive for me so you can dismiss what I am saying.  But my claims are clearly true.

And thanks for convoluting once again what I said.  Always the pleasure.     

You think my defense of women/wive's dignity in marriage, in response to the Gift, is really about me being hyper-sensitive.  I don't.  You think his misogynistic statements are actually Catholic.  I don't.   You think wives don't have a right to share in their husband's income.  I don't.    You think you are justified in manipulatively lying to win forum arguments, thread after thread.  I don't. 

diaduit

Quote from: GiftOfGod on December 13, 2020, 05:36:52 PM

My insulting manner to you was due to your insulting manner to me.

You're no wallflower GoG and I doubt you even flinched reading posts here....also I wanted another go at the quotes for giggles :)

Philip G.

Quote from: Maximilian on December 13, 2020, 03:21:27 PM
Quote from: Philip G. on December 13, 2020, 12:43:40 PM
At best, and by design, the sacrament of matrimony results in a beautiful equality of the spouses.  At second best, the woman, in whose arena matrimonial affairs primarily reside, will dominate the male for the sake of the children. 

No, this is completely contrary to Catholic belief.

https://www.papalencyclicals.net/pius11/p11casti.htm

Casti Connubii

74. The same false teachers who try to dim the luster of conjugal faith and purity do not scruple to do away with the honorable and trusting obedience which the woman owes to the man. Many of them even go further and assert that such a subjection of one party to the other is unworthy of human dignity, that the rights of husband and wife are equal; [condemned] wherefore, they boldly proclaim the emancipation of women has been or ought to be effected. This emancipation in their ideas must be threefold, in the ruling of the domestic society, in the administration of family affairs and in the rearing of the children. It must be social, economic, physiological: — physiological, that is to say, the woman is to be freed at her own good pleasure from the burdensome duties properly belonging to a wife as companion and mother (We have already said that this is not an emancipation but a crime); social, inasmuch as the wife being freed from the cares of children and family, should, to the neglect of these, be able to follow her own bent and devote herself to business and even public affairs; finally economic, whereby the woman even without the knowledge and against the wish of her husband may be at liberty to conduct and administer her own affairs, giving her attention chiefly to these rather than to children, husband and family.

75. This, however, is not the true emancipation of woman, nor that rational and exalted liberty which belongs to the noble office of a Christian woman and wife; it is rather the debasing of the womanly character and the dignity of motherhood, and indeed of the whole family, as a result of which the husband suffers the loss of his wife, the children of their mother, and the home and the whole family of an ever watchful guardian. More than this, this false liberty and unnatural equality with the husband is to the detriment of the woman herself, for if the woman descends from her truly regal throne to which she has been raised within the walls of the home by means of the Gospel, she will soon be reduced to the old state of slavery (if not in appearance, certainly in reality) and become as amongst the pagans the mere instrument of man.

76. This equality of rights which is so much exaggerated and distorted, must indeed be recognized in those rights which belong to the dignity of the human soul and which are proper to the marriage contract and inseparably bound up with wedlock. In such things undoubtedly both parties enjoy the same rights and are bound by the same obligations; in other things there must be a certain inequality and due accommodation, which is demanded by the good of the family and the right ordering and unity and stability of home life.

Ah yes, casti connubii, the document that introduced two-ends theology into the church wreaking never before seen havoc.  I know it well.  And, I reject two ends theology.  There is one "end" of matrimony, and it is "the corporal increase of the church" - Denzinger.   Accept that premise, and what I have said, drawn from both scripture and tradition begins to make sense again.

For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

christulsa

Quote from: diaduit on November 10, 2020, 03:42:48 PM
Quote from: GiftOfGod on November 10, 2020, 03:08:42 PM
I want to keep my house as a rental and in my name so that the future income and appreciation is mine. My future wife and I will buy another house together for us to live in. "Sole and separate property" is an old concept from Spain and is does not go against Catholicism, as prenuptial agreements do.

I wouldn't want you to marry my daughter.

I understand you being protective of your property/assets if you were dating secular women but really if you are looking for a trad wife then as much as she is giving herself to you and your future children you need to share yourself and your assets with her.  You should be king and she should be queen of the family castle.  Not sharing your castle with her is reducing her to a whore and a hired help who fires out your children and does the endless chores involved.  Please change your attitude, we're not all bad.