Plenary Indulgence Reminders for First Week in November

Started by Kaesekopf, October 31, 2013, 02:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: verenaerin on November 02, 2014, 02:17:22 PM
Every year the kids and I visit the cemeteries and say prayers. We don't even get out of the car. There are about 8 cemeteries around us I can think of. I look forward to doing this tomorrow.

This is a great idea!  I always feel guilty that I opt out of these types of things, because of the practical difficulties of doing it with so many littles....but, this I could do!  I'll have to put this in my bag of tricks for next year  :D

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Kaesekopf

This is apparently still stickied.

Bumping for this week!

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

dymphna17

?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Kaesekopf

PerEvangelicaDicta

They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

John Lamb

It's really sad that this wasn't mentioned whatsoever yesterday at my church (Novus Ordo). Not even any mention of the souls in purgatory. It's even more sad than their insisting on not using the Roman Canon during the Mass, even on All Saints day the other day

QuoteI hope this isn't too off topic, but is it authentic Church teaching that a single drop of holy water can release a soul from purgatory to Heaven?  I read that years ago, and since then I have always crossed myself twice with holy water each time I enter a church.  First, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.  Second, I cross myself and pray, "release a soul to Heaven."

There's a really lovely old lady at my church who wets her fingers with holy water then flicks it down to the ground repeatedly. She says she does this according to the gospel concerning Lazarus and the rich man, where the rich man in hell complains that he has nobody to send him even a drop of water to quench his first. I think it's a good intention. I don't know what the Church teaches definitely.
"Let all bitterness and animosity and indignation and defamation be removed from you, together with every evil. And become helpfully kind to one another, inwardly compassionate, forgiving among yourselves, just as God also graciously forgave you in the Anointed." – St. Paul

Kaesekopf

I've heard the pious tradition re: flicking holy water to the ground (I, personally, rub my shirt because moisture), but I wouldn't put much stock into it "freeing a soul" or anything. 

PerEvangelicaDicta

QuoteIt's really sad that this wasn't mentioned whatsoever yesterday at my church (Novus Ordo). Not even any mention of the souls in purgatory.

A disgraceful and tragic consequence of the crisis.  It's bad enough for us, the Church Militant, during these days of chaos, but for the Holy Souls, they've been totally forgotten and suffer so!  Justice in this regard will be mighty, and I fear for His wrath on those responsible. 
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

martin88nyc

I, for one, heard a brief but a very catholic sermon yesterday, about our obligations toward souls in purgatory. At our baptism we become family and so we should fulfill our duties toward them by prayer and other alms. Also it shows that our faith isn't based on personal relationship with Jesus Christ but also on relationships with souls in Purgatory and Heaven. Very informative and substantial sermon without going into detail.  :)
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Kaesekopf

My local bishop gave a nice few comments on the poor souls in purgatory and how we really should pray for the dead. 

Great bishop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Elizabeth

By a stroke of Divine Providence, the old copy of The Purgatorian Manualfinally turned up!

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Kaesekopf on November 03, 2016, 11:03:09 AM
My local bishop gave a nice few comments on the poor souls in purgatory and how we really should pray for the dead. 

Great bishop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

:pray3:

JesusIsGod

Indulgences have been long deemed sinful.
You cannot "pay" to have your sins removed quicker.
Come on guys, lets be better.