Dove Bar Tyranny

Started by Alphonsus Jr., April 09, 2013, 09:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gottmitunsalex

Quote from: Penelope on April 12, 2013, 12:56:52 PM
Quote from: Christknight104 on April 12, 2013, 11:02:41 AM
The concept of women staying at home is not at all necessarily a modern ideal. In Ancient Greece, the civilization that the West bases itself on,women were  confined to the home, their role only to cook, clean, and raise children. No woman in ancient Greece could choose her spouse, a marriage at that time seen as more of a business transaction between her male relatives.However, Ancient Greece was also a society that denigrated women as being equal to children and mere adolescents.  Interestingly, it was during the Middle Ages where poor peasant women worked alongside their peasant husbands on the farms, a reversal of Ancient Greece.

This post speaks well to a topic that I brought up in another thread. Just because something is traditional and has a basis in history does not make it good or worth emulating today. If what CK104 says here is true about ancient Greece, and this has been a model for Western civilization, then we are enshrining a majorly flawed and sinful culture as the ideal by which we should model our lives. If CK104's description of this view of women is how folks here want us to view women today, then we need to do some serious re-evaluation of our cultural values.
Well, I do hope that the "cultural values" do not interfere with Catholic values and morality.
Because last I heard, the modern culture and any redeeming values it may give is minute and in some countries, non-existant. Possibly the USA is one of the last bastions of Catholic culture with strong foundations in values. Or not.....

That is one if the reasons we stick to tradition. Stick to Traditional Catholic values.

We should not let current culture define our morals and our values.

"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Penelope

Quote from: Gottmitunsalex on April 12, 2013, 06:44:34 PM
Quote from: Penelope on April 12, 2013, 12:56:52 PM
Quote from: Christknight104 on April 12, 2013, 11:02:41 AM
The concept of women staying at home is not at all necessarily a modern ideal. In Ancient Greece, the civilization that the West bases itself on,women were  confined to the home, their role only to cook, clean, and raise children. No woman in ancient Greece could choose her spouse, a marriage at that time seen as more of a business transaction between her male relatives.However, Ancient Greece was also a society that denigrated women as being equal to children and mere adolescents.  Interestingly, it was during the Middle Ages where poor peasant women worked alongside their peasant husbands on the farms, a reversal of Ancient Greece.

This post speaks well to a topic that I brought up in another thread. Just because something is traditional and has a basis in history does not make it good or worth emulating today. If what CK104 says here is true about ancient Greece, and this has been a model for Western civilization, then we are enshrining a majorly flawed and sinful culture as the ideal by which we should model our lives. If CK104's description of this view of women is how folks here want us to view women today, then we need to do some serious re-evaluation of our cultural values.
Well, I do hope that the "cultural values" do not interfere with Catholic values and morality.
Because last I heard, the modern culture and any redeeming values it may give is minute and in some countries, non-existant. Possibly the USA is one of the last bastions of Catholic culture with strong foundations in values. Or not.....

That is one if the reasons we stick to tradition. Stick to Traditional Catholic values.

We should not let current culture define our morals and our values.

Huh? At no point did I state or suggest that modern Western culture has any redeeming value. My point was that some trads seem to see what CK104 describes about Ancient Greece as the model for traditional Catholic living, but that, much like modern culture, there is little there worth emulating or using as a model for our lives and values.

erin is nice

I think trads tend to forget that just because society was a certain way a long time ago, it doesn't necessarily make it right. You have to consider Church teaching and what's in the Scriptures.

Jayne

Quote from: erin is nice on April 13, 2013, 07:01:28 AM
I think trads tend to forget that just because society was a certain way a long time ago, it doesn't necessarily make it right. You have to consider Church teaching and what's in the Scriptures.

Exactly.  We have to examine past societies in the light of Church teaching just the same way that we examine our own.  We may discover some things that they do better than us and we perhaps should imitate those, but we cannot assume everything from the past is right.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Penelope

Quote from: RealJayneK on April 13, 2013, 09:45:44 AM
Quote from: erin is nice on April 13, 2013, 07:01:28 AM

Exactly.  We have to examine past societies in the light of Church teaching just the same way that we examine our own.  We may discover some things that they do better than us and we perhaps should imitate those, but we cannot assume everything from the past is right.

Yes, thanks, both of you. This is the point that I was trying to make.