Previous topic - Next topic

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: stitchmom on March 21, 2013, 07:47:25 PM
Quote from: OCLittleFlower on March 21, 2013, 03:05:51 PM
Quote from: stitchmom on March 21, 2013, 05:16:28 AM
Quote from: silvia on March 20, 2013, 07:59:00 PM
Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on March 20, 2013, 07:10:48 PM
Quote from: stitchmom on March 20, 2013, 07:05:50 PM
White (not hispanic) NO members are usually financially comfortable. I'm not a fan of this pope but I think any awareness of the materially poor is good. The American NO members usually have the typical GOP attitude.
I think very few average Americans at all are truly aware of real material poverty.

Exactly. Americans do not know what material poverty is. No matter what race they are.

OCLF This what I would consider one of those GOP attitudes. The right wing politicians spread these lies for political gain.

I'm not sure why you're addressing this to me.

However, I think it is rare in the US for people to starve to death, etc, like what might happen in Latin America.  And in Latin America they think we are a wealthy country -- as compared to them.  So I could surely see the Pope not thinking that we have problems to be solved here -- because a) we aren't as poor and b) poverty is number one on his "list."

Then again, his ignoring us might be for the best in a lot of ways...hmmm.

Sorry I thought you posted that but it was Sylvia.

Ahhh, okay.  No worries.  :)
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

rbjmartin

So the pope gave the following statement to the diplomatic corps today (March 22, 2013). It would have been nice if he had mentioned Jesus Christ. I thought that was kind of the point of our religion.
As you know, there are various reasons why I chose the name of Francis of Assisi, a familiar figure far beyond the borders of Italy and Europe, even among those who do not profess the Catholic faith. One of the first reasons was Francis' love for the poor. How many poor people there still are in the world! And what great suffering they have to endure! After the example of Francis of Assisi, the Church in every corner of the globe has always tried to care for and look after those who suffer from want, and I think that in many of your countries you can attest to the generous activity of Christians who dedicate themselves to helping the sick, orphans, the homeless and all the marginalized, thus striving to make society more humane and more just.

But there is another form of poverty!

It is the spiritual poverty of our time, which afflicts the so-called richer countries particularly seriously. It is what my much-loved predecessor, Benedict XVI, called the "tyranny of relativism", which makes everyone his own criterion and endangers the coexistence of peoples. And that brings me to a second reason for my name. Francis of Assisi tells us we should work to build peace. But there is no true peace without truth! There cannot be true peace if everyone is his own criterion, if everyone can always claim exclusively his own rights, without at the same time caring for the good of others, of everyone, on the basis of the nature that unites every human being on this earth.

One of the titles of the Bishop of Rome is Pontiff, that is, a builder of bridges with God and between people. My wish is that the dialogue between us should help to build bridges connecting all people, in such a way that everyone can see in the other not an enemy, not a rival, but a brother or sister to be welcomed and embraced! My own origins impel me to work for the building of bridges. As you know, my family is of Italian origin; and so this dialogue between places and cultures a great distance apart matters greatly to me, this dialogue between one end of the world and the other, which today are growing ever closer, more interdependent, more in need of opportunities to meet and to create real spaces of authentic fraternity.

In this work, the role of religion is fundamental. It is not possible to build bridges between people while forgetting God. But the converse is also true: it is not possible to establish true links with God, while ignoring other people. Hence it is important to intensify dialogue among the various religions, and I am thinking particularly of dialogue with Islam. At the Mass marking the beginning of my ministry, I greatly appreciated the presence of so many civil and religious leaders from the Islamic world. And it is also important to intensify outreach to non-believers, so that the differences which divide and hurt us may never prevail, but rather the desire to build true links of friendship between all peoples, despite their diversity.

Fighting poverty, both material and spiritual, building peace and constructing bridges: these, as it were, are the reference points for a journey that I want to invite each of the countries here represented to take up. But it is a difficult journey, if we do not learn to grow in love for this world of ours. Here too, it helps me to think of the name of Francis, who teaches us profound respect for the whole of creation and the protection of our environment, which all too often, instead of using for the good, we exploit greedily, to one another's detriment.

Franciscus
AUDIENCE WITH THE DIPLOMATIC CORPS ACCREDITED TO THE HOLY SEE
Sala Regia
Friday, 22 March 2013

silvia

Quote from: stitchmom on March 21, 2013, 05:23:05 AM
This what I would consider one of those GOP attitudes. The right wing politicians spread these lies for political gain.

this is the attitude of somebody who is not locked up in believing anything the mass media of this country is pouring on you and knowing in reality what poverty is. Yours is an attitude of a typical American who does not know either geography or history, forget about knowing the life in reality, including poverty.

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: silvia on March 22, 2013, 12:15:08 PM
This what I would consider one of those GOP attitudes. The right wing politicians spread these lies for political gain.

this is the attitude of somebody who is not locked up in believing anything the mass media of this country is pouring on you and knowing in reality what poverty is. Yours is an attitude of a typical American who does not know either geography or history, forget about knowing the life in reality, including poverty.
Silvia if you knew stichmoms situation you would shut your bloody mouth. >:(
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

silvia

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on March 22, 2013, 06:58:12 PM

Follow your own advice and shut your bloody mouth.
Nobody here knows anybody's situation but their words tell that all.
Reacting in a typical liberal-media-like style "this is GOP attitude" as she did, does not predict any other situations except brainwashed by media and not willing to think and seek the reality individual.
Your "defense" only proves to me I am right.

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: silvia on March 22, 2013, 07:27:54 PM

Reacting in a typical liberal-media-like style "this is GOP attitude" as she did, does not predict any other situations except brainwashed by media and not willing to think and seek the reality individual.
You are not right but self rightous. I know stichmom personally and your position is one of blind ignorance to the facts of which you speak...stop making an arse of yourself....trust me stichmom can empathize with the poor.

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

silvia

Quote from: Gerard on March 20, 2013, 09:05:23 PM
Quote from: silvia on March 20, 2013, 07:59:00 PM
Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on March 20, 2013, 07:10:48 PM
White (not hispanic) NO members are usually financially comfortable. I'm not a fan of this pope but I think any awareness of the materially poor is good. The American NO members usually have the typical GOP attitude.
I think very few average Americans at all are truly aware of real material poverty.

Exactly. Americans do not know what material poverty is. No matter what race they are.

A lot of Irish and Italians in the Northeast will disagree with you.  The poor of Appalachia will certainly disagree with you.  The Homeless in the cities will disagree with you. 

A lot of people lose homes in Tornado Alley, a lot of people lose everything in mudslides in California, Floods in the South, Storms along the coastlines. 

Tell anyone who was born and lived during the Great Depression, they don't know material poverty and they'll tell you a thing or two. 

The only difference is in many cases our ancestors that came to America, came poor and stayed poor until they benefited from far better clergy than Cardinal Bergoglio. 

The Irish and many other groups that came to America did know real material poverty and it was Bishops like "Dagger John" Hughes that organized, protected and defended them from corrupt governments and built the community up, built schools, Churches and businesses.  Our Basilicas are built like fortresses for a reason.  Catholics were hanging from street lamps in the cities of the U.S and bishops with strength fought back.  And I bet Bishop Hughes always genuflected when he consecrated the host and the chalice at Mass.  And I bet he wore very nice vestments.

Feelings for the poor are fine, throwing just enough crumbs their way to keep them poor and with their hands out is cruelty beyond measure. 

Pope "Francis" and all his hand wringing about the poor is a leach on the potential of the faithful.  He derives his power from the poor and disenfranchised.  His interest is power, not the poor. 

It's amazing how so many Americans have suffered real material poverty or been on the edge of it, only to be saved by the generosity and charity of the "Rich Church" that they built.  The same one that Francis intends to finish destroying.  All for the financially poor. 

we are talking about America circa 2013 not 1850.
Not only Irish or Italians newcomers were poor THEN - every newcomer was poor THEN.
In nowadays America there is no poverty in the dimension even comparable to any other country, even in Western Europe.
For NOBODY.
Otherwise people won't be trying to get here by any means.

voxxpopulisuxx

911!

silvia

double

silvia

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on March 22, 2013, 07:30:54 PM
Quote from: silvia on March 22, 2013, 07:27:54 PM

You are not right but self rightous. I know stichmom personally and your position is one of blind ignorance to the facts of which you speak...stop making an arse of yourself....trust me stichmom can empathize with the poor.

So are you. And also she is self righteous. And I can attest that you both are simply ignorant if you consider American "poor" to be poor.

Neither of you does know what poverty is.

not having the newest iPad is not poverty.

CamelliaSinensis

Soooooo....... Pope Francis will be meeting Papa Benedict tomorrow.

tmw89

Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

tmw89

Quote from: silvia on March 22, 2013, 07:37:39 PM
So are you. And also she is self righteous. And I can attest that you both are simply ignorant if you consider American "poor" to be poor.

Maybe stop trying to sound like a jackass, please?
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

silvia

Quote from: stitchmom on March 21, 2013, 07:47:25 PM
Quote from: OCLittleFlower on March 21, 2013, 03:05:51 PM
Quote from: stitchmom on March 21, 2013, 05:16:28 AM
[quote author=silvia link=topic=1653.msg26981#msg26981 date=1363831140]
[quote author=voxxpopulisuxx link=topic=1653.msg26974#msg26974 date=1363828248]
[b]I think very few average Americans at all are truly aware of real material poverty.[/b]

OCLF This what I would consider one of those GOP attitudes. The right wing politicians spread these lies for political gain.

I'm not sure why you're addressing this to me.

However, I think it is rare in the US for people to starve to death, etc, like what might happen in Latin America.  And in Latin America they think we are a wealthy country -- as compared to them.  So I could surely see the Pope not thinking that we have problems to be solved here -- because a) we aren't as poor and b) poverty is number one on his "list."

Then again, his ignoring us might be for the best in a lot of ways...hmmm.

Sorry I thought you posted that but it was Sylvia.

actually it was your defender vox, i happened to agree with him :LOL:

silvia

Quote from: tmw89 on March 22, 2013, 07:42:29 PM
Quote from: silvia on March 22, 2013, 07:37:39 PM

Maybe stop trying to sound like a jackass, please?

maybe address your "valuable" recommendations first to yourself?

the advocate of "poor" stichmom was HIMSELF the one whose words were criticized by her  - read the posts and pay attention which words she highlighted as "GOP attitude":LOL: