Relationship bw a Trad Catholic and a Greek Orthodox Catholic

Started by PatienceAndLove, March 10, 2015, 08:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chestertonian

Quote from: Jayne on March 11, 2015, 01:46:16 PM
Quote from: Chestertonian on March 11, 2015, 01:42:45 PM
maybe they want to remedy there concupiscence while also dealing with a shallow dating pool

Marriage is a good thing, but it is not more important than one's Catholic Faith.

i wouldn't say every mixed marriage is always a threat to ones faith

i am pretty sure that if i ever married a protestant girl there is nothing she could do to get me to want to be protestant... i mean.... gross....not enough beer in the world

children.... that's another story a non catholic has to agree that the children will be raised catholic but it is still not as good as having two catholic parents.  it would have to be a situation where benefits outweigh risks
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Penelope

Quote from: RealPresents on March 11, 2015, 02:57:28 AM
Quote from: Penelope on March 10, 2015, 09:12:15 PM
Is he Orthodox or is he Catholic? He can't be both.

If the guy is an Eastern Rite Catholic, then this almost becomes a non-issue. If he is Orthodox, then it has the potential to be a much more serious issue.

I've never heard of an Orthodox Catholic before, so perhaps someone can explain what that is to me.

Bonaventure

Quote from: queen.saints on March 11, 2015, 02:56:23 PM
Quote from: Bonaventure on March 11, 2015, 02:53:35 PM
I'm talking about a case where the spouse agrees to raise the children Catholic and permission is given.

Well, that's not exactly what the OP asked...

The OP is not even in a position to know that. She's gone on two dates. Others and I want her to give it a try.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Jayne

Quote from: Bonaventure on March 11, 2015, 02:36:39 PM
Quote from: Jayne on March 11, 2015, 01:44:09 PM
Once one is in a marriage, it is a means to sanctification.  A person who is making the decision about whom to marry and makes a choice that is likely to endanger his faith, is committing a sin.

You are quite mistaken to call mixed marriages a sin. The Church clearly disagrees with you.

Can you come up with a quote from Church teaching to back up your opinion? 

Anyhow, I did not say that mixed marriages were intrinsically a sin.  I said that making choices that are likely to endanger one's faith (or one's children's faith) is a sin.  I have seen that mentioned in traditional examinations of conscience.  Do I actually need to look one up for you or do you concede what should be obvious to any Catholic?
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Jayne

Quote from: Chestertonian on March 11, 2015, 02:59:34 PM
i wouldn't say every mixed marriage is always a threat to ones faith

i am pretty sure that if i ever married a protestant girl there is nothing she could do to get me to want to be protestant... i mean.... gross....not enough beer in the world

children.... that's another story a non catholic has to agree that the children will be raised catholic but it is still not as good as having two catholic parents.  it would have to be a situation where benefits outweigh risks

Every mixed marriage has the potential to endanger one's faith and it is a common occurrence.  It is generally presumptuous to consider oneself immune to sinning in situations that are commonly temptations.  You are betting your soul on your guess about how you will feel and behave in the future. 

Raising children as Catholics in a mixed marriage is far more difficult than in a marriage between two practicing Catholics.  Situations in which the benefits outweigh the risks are going to be very rare.  There is a danger that a person who wants to marry will convince himself that he is in such a situation when he is not.  It would be good to confirm it with a sound traditional priest.

queen.saints

Quote from: Bonaventure on March 11, 2015, 03:40:47 PM
Quote from: queen.saints on March 11, 2015, 02:56:23 PM
Quote from: Bonaventure on March 11, 2015, 02:53:35 PM
I'm talking about a case where the spouse agrees to raise the children Catholic and permission is given.

Well, that's not exactly what the OP asked...

The OP is not even in a position to know that. She's gone on two dates. Others and I want her to give it a try.

The Orthodox are very stubborn people. They were willing to throw the whole dogma of Purgatory out the window because they couldn't agree if it inflicts "pains" or "flames". They've been fighting about obscure mysteries for centuries. They argue about whether or not you should meditate on the passion or simply try to contemplate God. Is that the kind of person who's going to let their children be raised Catholic? They've literally bet their souls that Catholicism is wrong and they haven't given up for over a THOUSAND years.
I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.

Bonaventure

You can say the same about all adherents of a false religion. It needs to be examined on a case by case basis. Those who agree with me have been saying this all over the thread.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Jayne

Quote from: Bonaventure on March 11, 2015, 04:06:19 PM
You can say the same about all adherents of a false religion. It needs to be examined on a case by case basis. Those who agree with me have been saying this all over the thread.

It is something that is virtually always wrong (and painful) and would only be tolerable under unusual circumstances. Advising a person in an online discussion to get involved in this kind of relationship is irresponsible.  If it were one of the rare occasions when this should be considered that advice ought to come from a priest who is aware of all the details, not Internet acquaintances.

PatienceAndLove

We haven't discussed faith in depth, mostly kept the two dates to casual fun topics (MLP, cosplay, attending cons, Doctor Who). Our few convos have been the same.

I see him again Friday, so I will discuss his thoughts on faith then- I think finding that out will help me with making a decision on whether or not to continue to see him.

Thanks for y'all's help and advice.
You can only come to the morning through the shadows -JRR Tolkien
The burned hand teaches best - JRR Tolkien

Limoncello

LoneWolfRadTrad

Quote from: Penelope on March 11, 2015, 03:00:04 PM
Quote from: RealPresents on March 11, 2015, 02:57:28 AM
Quote from: Penelope on March 10, 2015, 09:12:15 PM
Is he Orthodox or is he Catholic? He can't be both.

If the guy is an Eastern Rite Catholic, then this almost becomes a non-issue. If he is Orthodox, then it has the potential to be a much more serious issue.

I've never heard of an Orthodox Catholic before, so perhaps someone can explain what that is to me.

Sounds like whoever wrote that "Orthodox Catholic" sign, didn't know what they were writing.

So, Patience, is he a Greek rite Catholic or a Greek rite Orthodox? 

Quote from: PatienceAndLove on March 11, 2015, 04:20:39 PM
We haven't discussed faith in depth, mostly kept the two dates to casual fun topics (MLP, cosplay, attending cons, Doctor Who). Our few convos have been the same.

I see him again Friday, so I will discuss his thoughts on faith then- I think finding that out will help me with making a decision on whether or not to continue to see him.

Thanks for y'all's help and advice.

Why haven't you discussed faith?  It's either the most important thing in your life and you're very serious about it or this dating is all for nothing.  You don't want to get emotionally attached to someone if the most important thing in your life is a point of conflict.

If he's a Greek rite Catholic, then things may or may not be ok, since I've seen plenty of these Eastern rite Catholics who've become as bad as the Novus Ordo, at times worse with the "charismatic movement" junk. 

If he's a Greek rite Orthodox, then you have to convert this schismatic.  If that doesn't work, be patient and move on.

PatienceAndLove

When I asked him, he said "Greek Orthodox Catholic". Speaking with the wife of a Greek Orthodox man, she uses Greek Orthodox and Greek Orthodox Catholic interchangeably (or so it seemed in her email... I need to read it again). But I will ask him next time we talk if he is just Orthodox or if he is Catholic, as well, since there seems to be a difference.

He is well aware of my take regarding faith, I am very open about it, but I don't let it dictate every conversation... I wouldn't even want to talk to myself, if that were the case.
As for why we haven't discussed his... I don't think it really matters to him all that much, beyond being raised in that particular faith tradition. Like I said, I'll ask him next time we talk.
You can only come to the morning through the shadows -JRR Tolkien
The burned hand teaches best - JRR Tolkien

Chestertonian

maybe he is in am eastern branch of Catholicism that is in communion with the pope and also in communion with the orthodox
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

LoneWolfRadTrad

Quote from: Chestertonian on March 11, 2015, 05:42:50 PM
maybe he is in am eastern branch of Catholicism that is in communion with the pope and also in communion with the orthodox

Bit of a contradiction if they claim that.  Can't claim communion with someone who has beliefs which completely change the structure of the Church that Christ started.

EastWest7

Just another perspective. I met my wife who was Roman Catholic when I was working on an MDiv at an Orthodox seminary. I was planning to be a priest and thought she would eventually convert and then I could get ordained. A priest from her RC parish gave her the blessing to marry me at my Orthodox parish. I wanted to marry her because she was beautiful on several levels, put family first/did not believe in divorce and in most respects we shared an identical worldview. We were married and attended both my parish and a Byzantine Catholic one. When she was pregnant with our first child I was received into the Catholic Church through the Byzantine parish we often attended. Soon after our second child came along she retired from her managerial position to be a full time mom at home. This coming May we will have been married 31 years and are grandparents. In addition to my Faith, my wife (and our kids) has been one of the most wonderful gifts the Most High has given me. I am a very, very grateful husband, father and grandfather. Who knows, when I retire from my fulfilling secular occupation, I may still be able to use my seminary masters degree in the Byzantine Catholic Church. I recommend prayer, constantly seek God's will, and lots of open communications with your Orthodox friend. Perhaps in time you will see marriage is not in the future for you and your friend...but as long as you pray and seek God's will, things might develop positively. That's just my opinion, based on my experience. May God direct your steps and may the remainder of this great and holy season be fruitful for you.