Never Do Anything Without Courage. It Is the Greatest Quality Next to Honor.

Started by Akavit, April 16, 2015, 10:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akavit

Just felt like creating an excuse to "quote" (more like paraphrase with abandon) a famous person...

You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.

Aristotle

...while violently forcing it to relate somewhat to the topic at hand.

This statue pedestal was built for Notre Dame de La Salette Academy to display a lion bronze.  All prior references to "courage" were intentional and appropriate.  This was completed months ago but I bring it up now since yesterday, it was awarded honorable mention (all prior references to "honor" were intentional and appropriate) at the Design Awards event in the Cabinets and Closets Expo held in Schaumburg, Illinois.

It seems the trend over the past 50 years to give awards to mostly modern arts, architecture and design has fizzled out.  In the various competitions I've been watching, the winners are seldom getting there with totally outlandish gimmicks.  At least not in the world of furniture.

On a side note, this is the competition that's been walking off with all the prizes over the past year.  Somebody with deep pockets has been buying fancy cabinetry.

Cabinets by Bespoke Minneapolis

Anyone engaging seriously in the world of arts and crafts needs to get out there and start competing in the contests.  Don't assume that your work will never catch the eye of the judges.  Fear not the prospect of criticism for without courage, there can be no mention of honor.

Yes, the tone and style of this post is cheesy.

Lydia Purpuraria

Well, cheesy tone or not, your pedestal is beautiful!  Congratulations and thank you for sharing.

Lynne

Quote from: Lydia Purpuraria on April 16, 2015, 10:54:44 PM
Well, cheesy tone or not, your pedestal is beautiful!  Congratulations and thank you for sharing.

Yes, beautiful work! I hope you're kept very busy.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Archer

Admirable job. I've told you this before but you've real skill. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

GeorgeT

Check out my Lives of the saints comics!

http://tautkusstudio.com/pb/wp_8bec74cf/wp_8bec74cf.html

Akavit

Thank you folks.

Yes, very busy indeed.  More exciting church projects would be nice but in the meantime, there are plenty of other projects to work on.

I'd be more than happy to sell a pedestal pedestal but unfortunately, my salesmanship hasn't achieved that level yet.  It might be easier to sell liquified ice cubes.

Kaesekopf

That is a nice pedestal!  I should be back in the LaSalette area come this Fall, I'll have to make a trip up for Mass and see if any of your fancy work has made it into the church since the last time I was there!

The things you do are impressive! 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Akavit

We actually did get a pulpit into the main chapel last year.  It's very similar to the pedestal.  It was the first portion of a major improvement to the entire sanctuary.  All the other work was stone so we couldn't participate in that.  Maybe someday I'll pull stonework in-house and open up new possibilities.

Arun

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih