"Risen" Movie?

Started by verenaerin, January 22, 2016, 01:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Older Salt

Quote from: Bonaventure on March 05, 2016, 11:54:50 PM
I liked it. Nothing will ever be as Catholic as the Passion, but it accurately portrayed the Romans, and showed St. Peter to be in a leadership position. I bet prots didn't like that.
prots have always acknowledged Peter as the leader of the Apostles.
Even their warped 'bible" makes that clear.

From what I have read in Catherine Emmerich and other approved mystics, the Romans did not behave typically towards Christ.
They were more like possessed beasts.
Stay away from the near occasion of sin

Unless one is deeply attached to the Blessed Virgin Mary, now in time, it impossible to attain salvation.

Larry

I look at all movies about Our Lord as artistic representations, with poetic license allowed. If we look at the great Catholic art throughout the centuries, we'll find things that are not historically or even sometimes precisely theologically accurate, and yet the art was still revered by Christendom. For the record, I haven't seen RISEN yet.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Older Salt

Quote from: Larry on March 06, 2016, 02:26:04 PM
I look at all movies about Our Lord as artistic representations, with poetic license allowed. If we look at the great Catholic art throughout the centuries, we'll find things that are not historically or even sometimes precisely theologically accurate, and yet the art was still revered by Christendom. For the record, I haven't seen RISEN yet.
Risen is NOT art!

Unless one is deeply attached to the Blessed Virgin Mary, now in time, it impossible to attain salvation.

Larry

Quote from: Older Salt on March 07, 2016, 12:12:33 PM
Risen is NOT art!

Why not? It uses costume designers, a composer and an orchestra for the musical score, cinematography, writing, etc. Just because we don't like a work of art doesn't mean it isn't art. It might be bad art, but that's a different thing.

Older Salt

Quote from: Larry on March 07, 2016, 06:54:53 PM
Risen is NOT art!

Why not? It uses costume designers, a composer and an orchestra for the musical score, cinematography, writing, etc. Just because we don't like a work of art doesn't mean it isn't art. It might be bad art, but that's a different thing.
From Oxford definition of art:

Simple Definition of art

:  something that is created with imagination and skill and that is beautiful or that expresses important ideas or feelings

:  works created by artists : paintings, sculptures, etc., that are created to be beautiful or to express important ideas or feelings

Kaesekopf

I'll be seeing this tonight.  :shrug:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Baldrick

It's just awful, Protestant mush.  Aside from the device of seeing the Passion through a tired and cynical Roman soldier, it was poorly conceived.  The Ascension scene was laughable; the film grew vaguely new-agey as it proceeded.  It wasn't artistic in any sense of the word; it had very little to say.  Even if I weren't Catholic I would have despised it.  Audiences should expect more. 

Kaesekopf

I just saw it through a Tuesday $5 special/deal. 

I don't think it was all that bad.  I had some quibbles with certain plot devices and choices (the horizontal ascension/walking), but overall it captured most of the Gospel. 

Plus, how often do you see a decent religious movie actually in theatres with a wide release?  It's not like catholics are doing any better than the prots. 

I don't think I'd pay full movie ticket price to see it, but if you were interested from the trailer and rent it on DVD or something, I'd say it's worthwhile.  I know it stimulated a good discussion among myself and my parents (which is good). 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Older Salt

Quote from: Kaesekopf on March 08, 2016, 04:07:55 PM
I'll be seeing this tonight.  :shrug:
Other than Fiennes performance, its crap.

Baldrick

Quote from: Kaesekopf on March 09, 2016, 12:39:36 AM

Plus, how often do you see a decent religious movie actually in theatres with a wide release?  It's not like catholics are doing any better than the prots. 

But that's exactly why people, imo, like it:  because it's one of a handful of movies with wide release that is even vaguely pro-Christian in the broadest sense.

But, that's not a reason to like it; we ought to have higher standards.  And pro-Christian films - just like so much "christian music" is appallingly bad because it puts message before artistic standards.

For example, I've been trying to find a good film about Joan of Arc for my wife; so we first watched the 1999 film with Leelee Sobieski - it was so bad we were actually laughing out loud uncontrollably.  It was quite fun actually.  Then we saw the 1948 Ingrid Bergman film - it was okay, the battle scenes provided much hilarity, lol.  At least she was quite good otherwise; and the film gets much better as it enters the trial scenes.  Still, meh. 

In my opinion, the best Joan of Arc film - at least that I've found - is by Carl Dreyer, a (very) nominal Protestant.  So I'm totally okay with Protestant fim making; to me the film has to be good first as a work of art; if it's not that it's just not worth watching.  Falconetti's is one of the great performances ever captured on film. 

Not sure which version this is - mine's from the Dreyer collected Criterion collection (highly recommend it, especially his film "Ordet").

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxJSGMK9yRE[/yt]

Older Salt

Dreyer's Jean d'Arc is a true work of art.
One of the best films ever!

Kaesekopf

I don't disagree re standards,  but no one else is stepping up to make anything better,  so that's what we're stuck with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Larry

Quote from: Older Salt on March 08, 2016, 02:36:34 PM
Quote from: Larry on March 07, 2016, 06:54:53 PM
Risen is NOT art!

From Oxford definition of art:

Simple Definition of art

:  something that is created with imagination and skill and that is beautiful or that expresses important ideas or feelings

:  works created by artists : paintings, sculptures, etc., that are created to be beautiful or to express important ideas or feelings

So you don't think Risen expresses important ideas and feelings, even if you didn't agree with the execution of said ideas and feelings?

Older Salt

Risen was not beautiful.

Prayerful

Mel Gibson is supposedly doing a Passion sequel, based on the Resurrection I think. Hopefully he overcomes his personal issues, and the you know whos forgive him.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.