Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Mysterious

Quote from: Gerard on November 15, 2013, 12:23:02 AM
Quote from: The Punisher on November 14, 2013, 11:47:06 PM
Thor 2: The Dark World. I like how they brought in one of The Elders of the Universe (Taneleer Tivan, The Collecter) after the credits and alluded to the Infinity Gems. I agree that Adam Warlock may make an eventual appearance but I'll also hope for Captain Mar-vell also. (The Silver Surfer would be even better not to mention some of the other Elders of the Universe such as the Grandmaster, the Gardener, the Runner, etc.)

I'd also enjoy it if in the next Thor movie they use some of the Asgardians not often seen in the Thor comic book: Tyr, Hermod, Hoder, Frey, Freya, Idunn, Aegir, Njord, Bragi, as well as greater roles for Balder and appearances by the death goddess Hela, the Frost Giant Ymir and the fire demon Surtur.

Don't forget two classics: The Enchantress and The Executioner.
Right! I also forgot Ulik and Geirrodur the rock trolls.
"Take courage! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Larry

Quote from: Gerard on November 10, 2013, 11:08:16 AM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on November 10, 2013, 01:29:45 AM
Quote from: Larry S. on November 09, 2013, 09:55:26 PM
Thor 2: The Dark World. A little slow in the beginning, but it turned out to be a lot of fun. Tom Hiddleston steals the movie.

Agreed.

I wish Loki had a larger role.  Apparently if Thor 4 gets made, they know where to take him. But his character is so.... Delightfully bad.  And his voice... His voice fits the role so well.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk

I enjoyed it too.  I was recently reading the old Lee/Kirby issues in Marvel Masterworks from the 60s and it's amazing how true to the original flavor the movie producers have been. 

In those stories, the masculinity of Thor was always prominent and humorous whenever he was in a city of "the mortals."  I think there's a clear distinction between strong masculine and feminine roles in the film and that is going to be part of its appeal as well as make it a target of the enemies of gender identity in the society. 

Though I do think they only touched on the opportunity to use Volstagg as a comic foil. 

If the genre continues, and the Asgardian aspect grows in popularity, I would really enjoy a light, semi-comedic movie of The Warriors Three with Lady Sif. 

As it is, they are definitely going towards the Jim Starlin "cosmic" epic tales as demonstrated by the introduction of The Collector and they'll wait to bring in Thanos for the 3rd Avengers movie, so that'll mean Adam Warlock is a possibility. 

Starlin wrote most of his best stories pirating from Catholicism and setting up straw man versions of the Church to portray as evil organizations.  He's got a love/hate thing going on with Catholicism.

Interesting info, Gerard. I read those Starlin stories as a little kid and just thought they were great fun. I wouldn't mind reading them again to see the subtext.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Gerard

Quote from: Larry S. on November 15, 2013, 11:49:33 AM
Interesting info, Gerard. I read those Starlin stories as a little kid and just thought they were great fun. I wouldn't mind reading them again to see the subtext.

I thought the same thing.  I would never have thought he was actually trying to attack the Catholic Church but just borrowing frameworks. 

In the Warlock storyline, his future self was The Magus who was the head of the Universal Church of Truth. 

And if you read the "Dreadstar" series that was even more directly pulled with the use of clergy and nuns in pursuit of power and the "Thanos-like" Villian, The Lord High Papal complete with clerical collar, stained glass and all.

Larry

Wow. I don't remember seeing that. The two issues by Starlin that I remember were an Avengers Annual and a Marvel Two-in-One Annual that had some incredible artwork; Thanos was the villain. But I don't recall the Church bashing, if it was in those stories at all.

Anyway, last movie I watched was Charlie Chaplin's City Lights on the Criterion Collection Blu-ray. What a beautiful movie.

Mr. Mysterious

Quote from: Larry S. on November 15, 2013, 01:38:31 PM
Wow. I don't remember seeing that. The two issues by Starlin that I remember were an Avengers Annual and a Marvel Two-in-One Annual that had some incredible artwork; Thanos was the villain. But I don't recall the Church bashing, if it was in those stories at all.

Anyway, last movie I watched was Charlie Chaplin's City Lights on the Criterion Collection Blu-ray. What a beautiful movie.
Those were Avengers Annual #7 and Marvel Two-In-One Annual #2, 1977. It featured the death of Adam Warlock, Gamora, and Pip the Troll though Warlock's spirit came out of the Soul Gem and turned Thanos to stone.
"Take courage! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Adeodatus

Last of the Mohicans, 1992. A truly atrocious film. Worst of all was the slanderous perversion of the character of General Montcalm. Historically, after his capture of the fort (one of his several brilliant victories over the British) he tried to prevent his indian allies from ambushing and butchering the defeated British. In the film, they depict it as actually being his idea!

That to me is so Hollywood. Sure, the story is from the British/American perspective. But General Montcalm was not like that. Hollywood apparently cannot conceive of someone being on the other side and not being a total heel.
¡Viva Cristo Rey!
Sh'ma Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu Adonai E?ad

Heinrich

Quote from: Adeodatus on November 18, 2013, 02:50:09 PM
Last of the Mohicans, 1992. A truly atrocious film. Worst of all was the slanderous perversion of the character of General Montcalm. Historically, after his capture of the fort (one of his several brilliant victories over the British) he tried to prevent his indian allies from ambushing and butchering the defeated British. In the film, they depict it as actually being his idea!

That to me is so Hollywood. Sure, the story is from the British/American perspective. But General Montcalm was not like that. Hollywood apparently cannot conceive of someone being on the other side and not being a total heel.

I remember his character also rationalizing the slaughter with the words to the effect of I am of the True Faith. Any chance Hwood has to smear and darken Goodness, they will take it.

But you have to admit, the H2H combat scenes are some of the best choreographed ever.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Heinrich

A documentary on the KLitschko brothers. I am still labeling them as cliched, but damn they are powerful and interesting men. Neat also in that I am a contempory of Vitali, the older of the two. Hearing about his lean life in communism while I got fat and cocky in capitalism is of interest.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6w8I_KrtGo[/yt]

ETA: it appears this trailer is from a Polish POV and the commentary from the brothers is in German. The trainer speaks English.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

MilesChristi

how did it happen in the book?
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Adeodatus

Quote from: MilesChristi on November 18, 2013, 06:11:32 PM

how did it happen in the book?

Good question. I haven't read the book, though I've heard that the movie doesn't really follow it.
¡Viva Cristo Rey!

moneil

Tonight on PBS KWSU (the hometown station, I work at the Washington State University Dairy Center):

Giant (1956) with Elizabeth Taylor, James Dean, and Rock Hudson.  It was about an old line Texas ranch family.  I rather enjoyed it.

Unrelated to the topic, but WSU defeated the University of Utah this afternoon 49-37, and are likely headed to a bowl game.

Bernadette

Miracle on 34th St, 1947 version. I always watch it around this time of year, and love it every time. Soon it will be time for A Charlie Brown Christmas:)
My Lord and my God.

Adeodatus

Saw the latest Hungry Games. Was decent. Definitely a transitional piece: you either didn't care for the first one so there's no point in seeing this one, or you liked the first one and this one whets your appetite for #3. The pacing was good but there wasn't a whole lot of action. There's no island full of teenagers massacring each other: re-watch #1 or Battle Royale for that. This one is all about politics, setting up the revolution, dealing with the other victors, etc. There is a "hunger arena" battle but it's not the same as the first one, and takes up less of the movie.
¡Viva Cristo Rey!

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Larry

The original 1933 King Kong on Blu-ray.