Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carleendiane

Quote from: Gardener on February 06, 2018, 02:29:10 PM
Quote from: Lynne on February 06, 2018, 02:25:37 PM
Quote from: Gardener on February 06, 2018, 10:25:09 AM
Cars 3.

What did the family think of it?  :D

Wife laughed a lot. Oldest loved it. It didn't have any scenes that scared him, unlike the first Cars movie. That one, there is a scene where a combine tractor is chasing Mater and Lightning. We often hear about how the "popcorn trac'or is scary".

Oldest? For some reason I thought you only have Dominic! Lol!
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Gardener

Nope, we have Dominic (3 in a few days), Eamon (9months old). And if nothing goes wrong, we appear to have another one on the way :)

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Carleendiane

Sweet pics, Gardener. So number three huh? You must be Catholic! Lol.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Gardener on February 06, 2018, 08:30:42 PM
Nope, we have Dominic (3 in a few days), Eamon (9months old). And if nothing goes wrong, we appear to have another one on the way :)

Hey, congratulations!!  That's wonderful news.  I will include your wife and new little baby in my prayer intentions. 

Side note...my kids watched Cars 3 the other night, as well. They liked it.  I heard ALL about it....several times over ;)  But, we are terrible parents, and didn't watch with them, rather used that time to have an impromptu date together  :P

maryslittlegarden

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

martin88nyc

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on February 10, 2018, 03:04:39 PM
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring.
I watched the trilogy last week( editors cut, extended edition) simply wonderful. I love these movies.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

maryslittlegarden

Just finished with Anne of Green Gables and am on to Anne of Avonlea
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Non Nobis

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on February 16, 2018, 04:53:06 PM

The 1985/1987 mini-series, or a newer movie?  I really liked the old mini-series.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Non Nobis on February 16, 2018, 11:19:41 PM
Quote from: maryslittlegarden on February 16, 2018, 04:53:06 PM

The 1985/1987 mini-series, or a newer movie?  I really liked the old mini-series.

The 1985/87  versions.  Don't much like the newer versions. 

Carleendiane

So, a trusted source said go see 15:17 to Paris, in the theater. It's just great. We don't go to movies. Just dont. But...this peaked hubbies interest. Directed by C. Eastwood. Paris train terror attack. So hubby and I made a date. 4:45 at local theater. Bought some Werthers to suck on and bottle of gatorade, both intended to be smuggled in by purse, slick, huh?  Exciting date. We go left out of driveway, can't get through. DEEP water over road 1/4 mile down, about a foot and half deep. No problemo. We'll go the long way around. Turn around get almost to stop sign, foot and 1/2 deep water over road. Should have brought farm truck, but by now we will miss beginning of movie. Went home. Will try again tomorrow. Will report in as to whether or not I would recommend it! So far, it's been a flop!

Bonaventure

The latest We Wuz Kangz movie...
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Lynne

Quote from: Gardener on February 06, 2018, 08:30:42 PM

Gee, I never go on this thread! Congratulations and I hope everything is still going smoothly!  :beer: :baby2:
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Kaesekopf

Moonstruck.

It was interesting.  Kinda funny. 

"I'm not a monument to justice!"

:lol:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Mono no aware

I saw three interesting movies this week.  The first was Lady Macbeth, which in my opinion was one of the finest films of recent years.  Who are William Oldroyd and Florence Pugh?  Right out of the box and they're brilliant.  It somehow reminded me of a certain 1970s style of filmmaking: coarse, brutal, unpleasant, and unflinching.  Amidst a ton of negative user reviews on Netflix, the person who compactly wrote, "the truth of the human condition. Nothing more, nothing less. (Need 80 characters)" really hit the mark.  The source material is a nineteenth century Russian novella.  I listened to a podcast with William Oldroyd and apparently he was once a candidate for the Anglican priesthood.  Next I saw Blade Runner 2049, the sequel to probably my favorite science fiction movie of all time.  It was overlong and an unworthy successor to the original, but it was still halfway decent.  I'm not disappointed that it got made.

Finally I got around to watching Pope Michael, the eponymous documentary of the Kansan papal claimant.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The first thing it dispelled for me is the popular notion that David Bawden is mentally ill.  I had heard this tossed around so often that I had almost, through osmosis, come to believe it.  But he isn't a loony in the least.  He is actually no different from many of the good and honest-dealing traditional Catholics I have met in my life.  I found him to be perfectly sane, and in fact he strikes me as someone of above-average intelligence (there's a scene where he goes to speak at a local university and gets into an argument with an "in communion with Rome" Catholic priest, and Pope Michael acquits himself well in their exchange).  He does come across as slightly awkward.  He was quite good-looking in his youth (almost a shade off of "movie star handsome") but in the old photographs he doesn't seem eager to make eye contact or smile.  He clearly lacks the macho confidence that so many in the traditional Catholic community see as a requisite for "normal" and "sane," which probably fuels the rumors.

But although Pope Michael is not demented, he is, unfortunately, somewhat uninteresting and dull.  Doubtless there have been boring and bland men throughout the history of the Church who found their way to the papacy, but in this age you would think that the Holy Spirit would've chosen someone with more charisma and bearing.  His lack of personality doesn't hurt the movie itself, though, because the fascinating thing is that Pope Michael (as of 2010) was training a young man named Phil Friedl for the Catholic priesthood.  The movie is a chronicle of one year in Phil's apprenticeship.  There are some unintentionally funny moments.  Pope Michael has a tendency to meander (in a folksy way) when he's speaking, and there's a scene where he tells Phil to get out his notebook and take notes, because this is important, and then he immediately seques into a meaningless digression and Phil looks perplexed as to whether he's supposed to be writing it down.  In another scene, Tickie Bawden (great name), Pope Michael's elderly mother, is trying out a new baking press to make sacramental wafers.  The baking press' maiden voyage does not go well, but she and Pope Michael and Phil Friedl manage to take the failure in stride.  "Phil Friedl" is a great name, too.  And towards the end there's a scene where Phil has to make a profession of commitment as he enters a new phase in the minor orders, and it seems like the profession must've been composed offhand by Pope Michael, as it reads like some sort of amateur legal document, with Phil having to preface every line with "I, Phil Friedl ... "

There is a bumbling and hapless nature to the whole Bawden papacy, from which Pope Michael no doubt derives a lot of his name recognition.  He himself is not a terribly compelling person, but the sheer situation of a gentle and genial man in Kansas who was elected pope by his parents and friends is an interesting piece of "wacky Americana."  It's easy for traditional Catholics to dismiss him in this way.  But I think Pope Michael has the last laugh.  Overall I was impressed with him.  However "wacky" his whole scene may appear, he has nevertheless, impressively, managed to cut through all of the nauseating paradox, hand-waving, excuse-making, and contradiction in traditional Catholicism.  When you see him seated in his full regalia in his cramped little garrett chapel, the picture confronts you with Pope Michael's stumbled-upon logic: the Catholic Church must, existentially, have a pope.  It is either an Argentine lunatic in Rome, or it is someone else.  And here is someone who makes the claim.

Jacob

Quote from: Kaesekopf on February 27, 2018, 10:14:56 AM
Moonstruck.

It was interesting.  Kinda funny. 

"I'm not a monument to justice!"

:lol:

I always enjoy it when I see it on and am in the mood for that type of movie.  I like the subplots and the small roles like John Mahoney's.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson