Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

queen.saints

Quote from: Greg on June 22, 2017, 03:39:48 AM
My experience of people like Jerome is when they begin like that they almost never go on to lead productive lives.  They don't become first class priests or religious that inspire people to be holy, nor do they raise large functional Catholic families.

They either become fringe loony priests like Fr. Pfeiffer or fathers of weirdo families living on welfare because they won't work of run a profitable business.  To much temptation leaving their front door.

That's why I tend to ignore them.

There is a balance to be struck and I look to successful people to strike it.

I only met Fr. Pfeiffer one time (while he was still with the SSPX) and didn't know who he was, but while hearing his sermon, a demonic oppression that had been deeply troubling and darkening my soul was completely gone and was replaced with light and clarity. It was a tangible and beautiful grace, and one which saved me from terrible consequences. I'm eternally grateful to him and only wish to meet him again someday, so as to thank him.

He has spiritual power.
Whatever he's doing, he's doing it right. Maybe he's not striking a balance, but he is striking down demons. That is success in any sense of the word that actually matters.
I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.

angelcookie

Life. Wouldn't watch again.

Non Nobis

"Room"

About a woman kidnapped as a teen and then confined in a shed ("Room") for years, and especially about the son she raised there.

Excellent.

I watched this via "Vidangel" which filtered out (at my choice) bad language and blasphemy. Had this been left in, the evil of her kidnapper would have been shown more powerfully.  But I got the idea.

Vidangel is expensive and I plan(??) to cancel it after a free month plus using my credits.  May as well use it in the mean time.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

red solo cup

Tried to watch War Machine with Brad Pitt. Gave up. Pretty bad.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Non Nobis on June 27, 2017, 02:44:03 PM
"Room"

About a woman kidnapped as a teen and then confined in a shed ("Room") for years, and especially about the son she raised there.

Excellent.

I watched this via "Vidangel" which filtered out (at my choice) bad language and blasphemy. Had this been left in, the evil of her kidnapper would have been shown more powerfully.  But I got the idea.

Vidangel is expensive and I plan(??) to cancel it after a free month plus using my credits.  May as well use it in the mean time.

I've heard about this!  It intrigues me, but I don't know if I want to watch it.  There's a book, too

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Greg on June 22, 2017, 06:57:55 PM
Undortunately unless someone makes some spare money along the way there are no chapels for mass or gasoline, car maintenance, airfares, groceries and housing for the priests.

If we don't have children there's no future.

You can run around naked because they'll be no Catholics to scandalise.

Apparently, my local trad oratory is financed primarily by four individuals (families?).  They contribute around a grand a week.  The rest of the chapel (based on my guesstimates) contributes around $5 a head per week. 

Thank God for the rich.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: queen.saints on June 24, 2017, 03:43:06 PM
Whatever he's doing, he's doing it right. Maybe he's not striking a balance, but he is striking down demons. That is success in any sense of the word that actually matters.

Didn't he have a fake bishop at his 'seminary' compound?  O.o
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Matto

I watched another Ozu movie tonight. This one is called Late Autumn and it is from 1960. I enjoyed it and laughed a lot while watching it. It is very modern. It is the story of a widow and her daughter and three friends of the widow's late husband. I do not think it is as good as some of his other movies but I enjoyed it and think it is worth watching if you like Ozu like I do.
[yt]https://www.youtube.com/embed/WsgL_yG-vzY[/yt]
Modesty wise, it is not perfect. There are modern women wearing shorter skirts but no mini-skirts, and some women in pants and a couple of low-cut dresses but no cleavage. But is not nearly as bad as walking down the street in any American city today.
I Love Watching Butterflies . . ..

Cesar_Augustus

I think the recet discussion could be (or at least try) to be solved by answering these questions:

What kind of content is a mortal sin to watch?

Which contents' problems depend of age or personal ocassions of sin?

Sempronius

Quote from: Cesar_Augustus on July 01, 2017, 02:57:50 PM
I think the recet discussion could be (or at least try) to be solved by answering these questions:

And then there's another question for me personally. If I think women should be modest and have a family oriented way of life, then how can i justify myself being entertained by women that dresses like some superhero and runs around fighting dark forces?

JubilateDeo

Quote from: Sempronius on July 07, 2017, 08:05:50 AM

And then there's another question for me personally. If I think women should be modest and have a family oriented way of life, then how can i justify myself being entertained by women that dresses like some superhero and runs around fighting dark forces?
You probably don't want to watch any movies about St. Joan of arc then

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: JubilateDeo on July 07, 2017, 08:14:54 AM
Quote from: Sempronius on July 07, 2017, 08:05:50 AM

You probably don't want to watch any movies about St. Joan of arc then

Exceptions don't make the rule.  I'd be willing to bet money that St. Joan, even though dressed in man clothes, was still more modest than the movies Semporonius is referring to.  And, he did say for him personally; he's not trying to impose his viewing standards on everyone else.  There's nothing wrong with going above and beyond the call of duty, so I don't think it's something condemnable.

kayla_veronica

Watched Man of all Seasons for St. Thomas More's feast day yesterday.
May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

Lydia Purpuraria

Watched this last night:

martin88nyc

"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33